Home
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Remington-Model-700-Custom-375-H-H-Mag.cfm?gun_id=100221542

Looking at getting one of these. Any experience
out there with this model? Would you want it ported?

Fred

I wouldn't want it ported. The recoil level doesn't warrant it.
that's a heck of a deal with the scope included.
I had one. Great gun, but sold it in favor of building a S/S 358 STA instead.
How loud is the porting compared to a brake?
The Remington KS (Kevlar Stock) rifles are made in the Custom Shop. I've had probably 10-12 of them over the years, and they will be great shooters once you find what they like. The KS might be a bit light for a 375. You could probably have a gunsmith (or yourself if you're handy) remove the recoil pad and insert an aftermarket recoil tube, or even a steel dowel, to increase the weight and reduce the recoil I wouldn't brake or port it...you'll kill the resale value.
Originally Posted by kroo88

Both are too loud.
Originally Posted by Swampman700

Both are too loud.

Any thoughts on cutting the barrel back to eliminate porting?
Cut the barrel to 20-23" and replace the action with a Ruger, Winchester, or Mauser and you would have something.
Yep, a less accurate rifle.
Originally Posted by jimone
Cut the barrel to 20-23" and replace the action with a Ruger, Winchester, or Mauser and you would have something.

a heavier something.
I had one of the Custom KS's, an early one that came with a Brown stock which cracked and was replaced gratis by Rem with a McM but that is another story. Mine was bought used and was ported. I had the barrel cut back to 21 1/2" removing the ports and hunted elk with it twice taking a couple of nice bulls with the 260 gr Partition. I really could not tell the difference in recoil ported or not. It was a very, very accurate rifle, a dream to carry with it's 2.5-8X Leupy and recoil was not a big deal given the stock design. I think it weighed ~7 3/4 # or so all up. I kept the stock installing an ADL wood one and traded it off to a dealer in Alberta for NIB Savage 99A 250-3000. It has since gone down the road too. I do not know whose stock they are using these days?
I am glad to carry an extra pound or two and would go a winter on beans and rice not to celebrate anything Cerebus.RIP Marlin.
i'll suffer the beans and rice to avoid packing a heavy pig up the mountain. the M700 gets the nod on these days, and it ain't because i don't have a M70.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by toad
i'll suffer the beans and rice to avoid packing a heavy pig up the mountain. the M700 gets the nod on these days, and it ain't because i don't have a M70.

[Linked Image]

Toad, what's the weight on this one?
right now it has a 2.5x Leupold aboard.

[Linked Image]

but with the 6x36 on it it topped 8# by an oz. or two. this is not the KS, but an SS SPS cut to 23" and poked into a B&C AK Ti stock. also this is .375 RUM, but the H&H version would weigh the same.
toad, that rig right there rocks. I'm not saying I would want to shoot it prone more than twice, but it still rocks.
it really isn't that bad to shoot, but i worked up to it. i shoot the 235 gr. Barnes TSX @ ~3150 fps in this one. i'm thinking the heavier bullets may add to the sensation.
I have no use for a push feed, Rem yet, DGR chambered for the classic .375.

Would not touch it with an 11 foot pole. Ported barrel yet.
Diaper Don disapproves, so that's another big plus
Yep. the Contra-indicator has checked in...you are now GTG... grin
I'll have to start running my rifles by him, to see if he would "have any use for them".

I know it ain't a LR rig nor does it aspire to be, but what do the drops and stuff look like out past 3 and 400? Gotta' be a fun one to play with at that range...
thinkng i'm gonna hafta try ports now, too.. laugh

Tanner, i have another .375 Ultra set up more for mid-range with a 6x42/M1 (shown here with 3x36 CDS though). this one gets fed 260 NAB @ ~3k fps. the drops on that are very much like a .270. with a 100 yard zero, 550 yards takes 10 moa, 800 yards takes 20.5 moa, depending on conditions. this one gets shot a lot at various ranges just for giggles...it does weigh a little more, like 8.25#. it's stock has the full bedding block and the scope is a little heavier. in hindsight, the .338 Ultra would probably be a better cartridge for my needs, but i have no regrets with the .375 Ultra.

[Linked Image]
Yep! grin
You choose the ultra for long distance? I'd like to make this my carry for everything but was wondering about the H and H for sheep at distance.
Fred
I cannot speak to the 375 H&H in a KS mountain rifle but I love my left hand KS in 300 H&H. I don't have many Remington 700's but I do like the KS Mountain. In fact I'd trade my Montana 1999 lefty 375 for a left hand KS Mountain in 375 if the opportunity arose. I always intended to pick up the 375 in a lefty KS to go with my 300 but they discontinued them before I got one.

Mart
The 700 has been cryogenically treated too. Any thoughts?
You choose the ultra for long distance? I'd like to make this my carry for everything but was wondering about the H and H for sheep at distance.
Fred

no, i have other toys for long range. i practice farther than i will shoot at game so the shorter ranges are chip shots.
Toad-you have some wonderful rigs there! Big time do alls, for all that moves.

My 375 Wby does well with the 235 TSX's, haven't stuck them in any game yet though. Perhaps this spring...grin

Any chance you've tried the 250 TTSX in one of them?

Thx
Dober
no i haven't. maybe in the near future. i've been thinking of them. my M70 .375 AI shines with the 270 TSX though.
Originally Posted by toad
thinkng i'm gonna hafta try ports now, too.. laugh

Tanner, i have another .375 Ultra set up more for mid-range with a 6x42/M1 (shown here with 3x36 CDS though). this one gets fed 260 NAB @ ~3k fps. the drops on that are very much like a .270. with a 100 yard zero, 550 yards takes 10 moa, 800 yards takes 20.5 moa, depending on conditions. this one gets shot a lot at various ranges just for giggles...it does weigh a little more, like 8.25#. it's stock has the full bedding block and the scope is a little heavier. in hindsight, the .338 Ultra would probably be a better cartridge for my needs, but i have no regrets with the .375 Ultra.

[Linked Image]
Very cool. Doesn't Sierra make some huge 375 Matchking? That would be fun.as heck to mess with in the Ultra too. You've got those things dialed!

I really need to find one of those 6x42s...
Fred

Whats distance?

The H&H, set up with the 235 gr TSX flies like an iggle.

iggle....?

Dober
Geezer talk for "eagle".

Originally Posted by cmg
Fred

Whats distance?

The H&H, set up with the 235 gr TSX flies like an iggle.

For me that would be 400+ yards
The H&H will do all thats needed.
I have a Remington AWR (Alaskan Wilderness Rifle) which I guess is the next generation of the KS. It is in 338 RUM, and is a great mid and long-range rifle. I also have a Bansner Ultimate on a Classic Model 70 action with a Bansner stock, fluted barrel, and a gray nitride finish on all metalwork. I will bring that rifle to Alaska this September on an outfitted hunt for Moose.
Finally got mine. Now it just needs cut to 22" to get rid of the magnaporting.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pal of mine has a left hand Mark V 340 Weatherby with factory tube,and magna port.The rifle is in a Brown Precision and has been for many years now.It has been on lots of elk hunts and works the berries.Shoots, too.

I would pick the ports over any MB any day;recoil is straight back and the rifle never really leaves the bags...it may be somewhat louder, but for sure not louder than a full blown MB.It tames heavy recoiling rifles as much as needed, for me anyway.

I don't need it on an 8# 375.

Trajectory wise a 250 gr bullet from the 375,started about 2900 fps,is about like a 150 gr 270 load;or a 30/06 and 165.Zero 3" up at 100,you will be about 5" low at 300 and 14" low at 400...anything from deer up would be easy pickings..a 235 TTSX would start a bit faster but I'd expect the trajectory to be similar. Beyond that,there are always turrets and reticles.

A pal uses the 235 TSX and used it on elk at about 225,and an eland at 325....both were floored with shoulder shots.He showe me recovered bullets...pretty impressive.
Yeah mine weighs 6 lbs 8 ozs naked and 7 lbs 5 ozs as pictured. I'm not much worried about the recoil either. I'd just like it to be a little more maneuverable.
Nice gun there predmaster. I ended up buying the one from this thread. The guy was not lying about how well it shoots.

I'm holding Toad responsible for my 375 addiction

[Linked Image]

Thanks, now if I can just get a ti 30-06 for the lighter stuff smile
God dang those are nice. How are you finding the boot to be from such a light rifle, Kroo?
Any suggestions on mine? I have steel leupold rings and bases I could use instead. I kinda like the scope that's on it. Those old scopes are hard to beat. I have quite a few of them. The eye relief is very generous and its not meant to be a long range gun nor do I want to limit myself by putting a 1.5-5 or whatever on there.
I stuck a vxII 2-7 on it first but I think I like the 3-9. I would maybe do a 3.5-10 leupy sometime if I run across a gloss non AO model. I have an older swaro habicht nova 3-9x36 1" tube that's not currently on anything but they don't have quite as generous eye relief as the leupolds. That's kinda important on a big light gun.
And what's your all's vote on the chop to 22" to get rid of the magnaporting? 20"? Leave it as is?
And I have a mcmillan ADL with the same contour barrel channel. The KS stock pictured weighs 26 ozs and the mcm weighs 30 ozs. It's not like I would put the ks in the corner either. I like it better than the mcm. What do you think there?
Here it is.
[Linked Image]
Tanner, the 375 isn't bad at all. It still is ported but I think that mainly tames the barrel jump. The Ti is about the same.
Pred, the KS had a vari-x-iii 3.5-10 on it that fogged up after I shot it the first time so I bought a vx-3. Have to send the other in.
The Ti came with a 2.5-8x36

[Linked Image]
I like that predmaster, that is a nice rig.
Well finally got to shoot mine. First time ever firing a 375 h&h. Well....I am a bit dissapointed. I really expected to get my teeth rattled. Instead it was more like a little push. Lol. I shot sierras and nosler partitions both 300gr too. Very accurate with the only 2 loads I tried. I can tell its going to work well like it is.
Here it is the way its going to stay. Went back to the reg leupold rings and bases and a 3.5-10x40.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I put a zeiss 3.5-10x44 with the 4A reticle on it so it would match my other killing rifles but I didn't like the eye relief. It looked good though lol.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
predmaster,

Nice assortment of rifles! But damn, you need some color on those. laugh
Reminds me of a guy I once knew who always bought stainless synthetic rifles. That way, when he brought a new one home his wife wouldn't know the difference, instead thinking it was just an old gun he was bringing back from the range!
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Reminds me of a guy I once knew who always bought stainless synthetic rifles. That way, when he brought a new one home his wife wouldn't know the difference, instead thinking it was just an old gun he was bringing back from the range!

Crafty bastage. I like it. grin
Mmmm......great marketing ploy.

"Which is cheaper? Several KS Mountain Rifles?...Or several marriages" eek

Buy KS...Keep a wife.

wink

At least the porting does not look like a muz brake. It probably is a good rifle and worth the coin. I would prefer no porting also. But hey, you could cut it off or re-barrel, which would be with a shorter, heavier tube if mine.
Thanks guys I actually heard that before about keeping them all looking the same for the wife lol. Anyway I shot my 375 some more today. Wow the 270gr seem to rock me a lot harder than the 300s. I know its only 30gr difference and not a lot more powder but its like the 270 grainers kick faster more like my 300 rum where the 300 grainers are more of a big push. It was quite snappy today. Shot 5/8" 3 shot group with 270 gr hornady interlock though. I like it a lot.
Originally Posted by predmaster223
Here it is the way its going to stay. Went back to the reg leupold rings and bases and a 3.5-10x40.

I'd rethink that strategy.

My 375 KS sheared the rear windage screw.

I'd go with the DD's or QR's.
Hmmm good to know. Any opinions on talley lightweights on this rig? I have them already and I had the reg leupolds. If I had the dual dove tails I'd put them on there. I guess I could do some quick release of some kind since I have the factory sights. Are there any good QR bases that don't stick up to high for the factory irons. I'm not a fan of iron sights for anything but you never know I guess.
I've got leupold QR bases on my M70 375 & plenty low for the iron sights
A damned nice bevy of rifles here, btw.
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by predmaster223

I'd rethink that strategy.

My 375 KS sheared the rear windage screw.

I'd go with the DD's or QR's.

Drill out to 8/40's;epoxy the base...lasts forever.
Why are these so dang accurate?
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire