Home
I'm itchin' badly to get mine out and shoot it, so I thought we could do a little 375 thread... whether it be H&H, Ruger, RUM, Steyr, Taylor, whatever! Loads, targets, rifle pics, you name it. Figured it'd be cool to get away from all the gun-garble and have a cool thread!

Here's mine...

[Linked Image]

Mine......for now......it's on the block....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Chit, wish I could post pics cry

BTW, nice rifles Gents.

Gunner
You guys are making me extremely jealous.......... how do I post an image..this makes me crazy.
OK, my bride figured this out for me. First pic posted. Here is my " will be a .375 ". FN Mauser donor plus Duane Wiebe bottom metal. It still needs the rest of the important parts....a good barrel and stock.

[Linked Image]
IMG_2511 by beechlvr7, on Flickr
Set up a PhotoBucket account, upload the pics from your hard-drive, and then copy the Image Code. Really easy!
Tanner, you make it sound so easy. grin
Here's a shot of my .375 Ruger that I had built on a FN action(Model 50 JC Higgins). The 21" barrel is a McGowan.

[Linked Image]
Very nice there Mauser98........that is what mine will be chambered for. Tell us more about yours. Thanks.
Mauser, that is very nice! How do you like it with the 21" barrel?
Some GORGEOUS rifles, fellas !!!!!!

I think I'm ashamed to post mine, now. frown
Originally Posted by Dave93
Very nice there Mauser98........that is what mine will be chambered for. Tell us more about yours. Thanks.

My barreled action was put together by Bill Leeper. Besides the normal bolt face/extractor work, he also had to take quite a bit of metal from the rails and maybe, the ramp. As it is, the rifle feeds better than it did when it was a .270 Win.

We used the original bottom metal and get 3 down. Bill modified the extractor to snap over a 4th round. We kept the original FN safety.

The barrel band is a Talley and the bolt handle is a Talley-style that is much easier on the knuckle during recoil than was the original. The trigger is a Timney.

My mods to the original stock include lengthening the LOP, installing internal cross-bolts and re-bedding. I also added some ebony trim. I finished the metal with a slow rust blue.

All up, the rifle weighs just under 9 lbs.

Originally Posted by Tanner
Mauser, that is very nice! How do you like it with the 21" barrel?

I really like the shorter barrel. If there's any more noise or muzzle jump, I don't notice it. Some of the guys at the range may not agree about the noise.

I'm easily getting 2700 fps with 270 gr X's and over 2800 fps with 260 gr Noslers.
Heck Yoder, throw it out there, its all good grin I'd post mine if I could.

Gunner
Here is mine. It is an Interarms (pre-mark x) that I bought from Luv2Safari here on the fire. The stock was redone by our own Karnis. It wears a Trijicon 3-9x40 with a red triangle.

[Linked Image]

Here is a typical group with a 270gr TSX over 75 grains of Rl 15.

[Linked Image]
That'll work AFTERUM, that Karnis is "THE" walnut doctor.

Gunner
Standard issue Alaskan....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gunner500
Heck Yoder, throw it out there, its all good grin I'd post mine if I could.

Gunner

Well........... O.K. You asked for it. It would be better posted in a thread titled "Show us Your Fugly .375 Thread!!".

It's an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker. Started life as an H&H. I had my smith run a Weatherby reamer through it, true things up, install a Limbsaver pad, crisp the trigger and set it to 40 oz. It's scoped with a Weaver V10 in Leupold rings and DDT bases (all with 8-32 screws and bases glassed).

It weighs 8.5 lbs. loaded & ready to go. I run, primarily, 250 gr. SGK's over a handful of H-414 for 3060 fps @ the muzzle.

It's ugly as a mud fence. But it shoots lights out and has accounted for my one and only B&C entry. Guess I'll keep it.

[Linked Image]
in chronological order:

.376 Steyr. short and handy, but a little too strange, even with a round bolt handle swap (since the pic)

[Linked Image]

then the .375 H&H AI from a guy in AK. it has a few brown bear, a couple of black bear and a wolf to it's credit

[Linked Image]

then the SPS in .375 Ultra dropped into an AK Ti stock with the short bedding blocks.

[Linked Image]

and that one led me to the XCR II, also in .375 Ultra. this one is in a slightly heavier B&C AK Ti with the full bedding stock. still less'n 8.25# though.

[Linked Image]
Browning Safari

[Linked Image]
Not a thing wrong with that all-weather basher there Yoder, and she's a shooter too. wink

And nice old Belgium too Jason. smile

Gunner
Thanks, it is a push feed model, feeds slicker than snot, shoots itty bitty groups. Is in a salt wood stock, that I will soon change out. (no rust).

I was going to sell it...the more I handle it, I just can't bring myself to do it.
Here is my .375 H&H Custom Shop Model 70 with a S&B 1.5-6x42.

It is more of a safe queen than a shooter. I have a .416 Taylor that does the down and dirty work. I still like the .375 M70.

[Linked Image]

donsm70
Don, that thing is a work of art man! Nice looking piece of lumber.
CZ 550 .375 H&H

AHR safety and trigger, cerakote finish and reworked stock.
Not the best pics, I'll have to take better ones next time I take her out...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
.375 H&H Ruger Number One:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In the past, it's been to Africa and elsewhere, but is slumming now with me, as a Pacific Northwest bear & elk rifle. Shoots great! Took the bear at just over 300 yards, with a single Nosler.

Here's another Ruger no. 1, 375 H&H. It's been to Africa.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
Nice Maddog! Number One Rugers are cool!

'Course with your elephant & cape buff you make my poor little bear look like Boo-Boo...
Naw, ya wanna see a boo-boo, look at the cinnamon black bear I took in Idaho, back in 2006....grin

maddog
OK here goes again..

Heres mine getting used as God and H&H intended.... grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by sactoller
Thanks, it is a push feed model, feeds slicker than snot, shoots itty bitty groups. Is in a salt wood stock, that I will soon change out. (no rust).

I was going to sell it...the more I handle it, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Yes, dont sell it sactoller, I had one too, and was stoopid, now its gone.

LOL Ingwe, nice buffler and rifle.

Gunner
Just two unblooded 375 Rugers, but I will fix that one day. Lefty Hawkeye Alaskan and a No. 1 Boddington Lion. The Alaskan now sports a Vortex Viper 2-7x and shoots cloverleafs like everyone else's. The Lion remains unfired.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ingwe
OK here goes again..

Heres mine getting used as God and H&H intended.... grin

[Linked Image]

Not sure it get's any better than that. laugh
Is that a Whitworth Ingwe?
[Linked Image]
Very nice Gary!
Originally Posted by raybass
Is that a Whitworth Ingwe?

Yup. grin
Gary, tell us about your .375. grin
Ruger Hawkeye African:
[Linked Image]
Ruger #1 H&H
[Linked Image]
Win 70 Safari Express H&H
[Linked Image]
Stainless M70, stainless Pacnor barrel 22", chambered in 375 Ruger by Redneck and bedded in a mag fill McMillan Compact, cerakoted by CAS, DNZ mounts, VXIII 1.75-6, right at 8lbs loaded.

[Linked Image]
Here is my unbloodied No 1. Warne QR rings, Leupold 1.5-5 Scope, and Boddington edition express sights.

[Linked Image]
My left handed M70 from the last run made in New Haven in 2004.

[Linked Image]
lighter stock/lower comb
4 shot mag
patrige sights
[Linked Image]
might do
ptg aluminum bottom metal
barrel band front sight
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Rechambered from H&H to Weatherby. Ed Lapour 3-pos safety, shortened and recrowned by Bobby Pitchford. ZKK 602 Brno
Here's mine. Currently at the 'smith getting the barrel cut back to 23", an NECG banded front sight and sling swivel. Karnis refinished the stock adding the crossbolts, recoil pad and forend tip and really cleaning up the checkering. I like the way BRNO layed out the stock a lot, very lean. I bought the rifle with LaPour safety, straight checkered bold knob, banded swivel and added checkering from Cabelas a year or so ago. Went in to buy one of the Ruger Alaskan 375's they were selling for $600 and found this for $50 more. Easy decision.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mine's a Montana 99 with their barrel. I added express sights, Duracoat and opened up a Model 70 stock to accept the barreled action. It shoots great but as yet has no blood to it's credit.

Mart

[Linked Image]
Mine is a stainless Rem 700 BDL in .375 RUM with a 26" bbl with a KDF brake. I put in a Richards laminated stock that is pillar and glass bedded and has a Limbsaver pad and a mercury recoil reducer. I finished and checkered it with my favorite multi-panel pattern.

I've taken it to Africa twice and it's deadly on everything from Steenboks to Buffalo.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by buffybr
Mine is a stainless Rem 700 BDL in .375 RUM with a 26" bbl with a KDF brake. I put in a Richards laminated stock that is pillar and glass bedded and has a Limbsaver pad and a mercury recoil reducer. I finished and checkered it with my favorite multi-panel pattern.

I've taken it to Africa twice and it's deadly on everything from Steenboks to Buffalo.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Does it kick like a 223? grin Nice critters.
1972 Sako L61R 375H&H ,Leupold VX-R 2-7
[Linked Image]
Here is my 375 Wby, it started out as a very early smooth bolt Wby MK 5 that was in 300 Imp. I had a 26" #5 McGowan barrel, Brown Precision stock and a 4x Leupold put on it. After several years I put it in the Boyd stock, it was just to heavy so it went back into the Brown stock The rifle above my 375 is my 340 Wby. The target is a group from the first time I shot the 375. The load is a 235 gr Speer SP, IMR 4350 and Wby case. Also the last pic is the 8mm Rem mag Classic the I had that has a 26" #5 Douglas barrel and is pillar bedded. Randy

Attached picture 375_Wby_Before.jpg
Attached picture 375_340_Wbys.jpg
Attached picture 375_Wby_Boyd.jpg
Attached picture 375_Target.jpg
Attached picture 8mmRemMag.jpg
There are a lot of great looking rifles on this thread! The .375's range from honest utilitarian good looks to some absolutely superb custom rifles... Terrific.

Those who haven't blooded yours yet - get 'em afield, the various .375's are a wonderful bunch of general purpose hunting cartridges!
Absolutely... bunch of killer [bleep]' rifles.
Not the greatest of pics but the only one available at the moment.

Plain jane CZ 550 Safari Mag with the 'hogback' stock. VX-II 3-9x40.

[Linked Image]
Lefty Sako Deluxe 375 H&H, Leupold 1.5-5 VariX III. IIRC I got it in the mid 90's. Killed a spike buck in PA right after I got it and then took it to AK in 1998 for a bear hunt that turned out to be a camping trip........<grin>

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here's my .375 Bee bloodied.

[Linked Image]
Nice fat bear. You rug that one?
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Here's my .375 Bee bloodied.

[Linked Image]

That thing was already starting to bloat! sick grin

Nice bear...
Here's my Mclassic in 375 H&H smile
[Linked Image]
My XCR II in 375 Weatherby with my brown bear in Upper Togiak Lake.

[Linked Image]
Chuck, I've got a few questions about that XCR II if you don't mind answering a couple.

How do you like the stock thus far? I know they're not too well thought of, but they seem to be one of the better factory offerings as far as plastic handles go. Flimsy? Light?

How long is that barrel, and what is the diameter at the muzzle? I know you had said that the gun was a lot lighter than Remington reported on the website. Thanks!
I like the stock a lot. It soaks up recoil and the gun shoots well under MOA. The XCR II in 375 weighs 6 1/2 lbs without scope and kicks less than my CZ 550 in 375 H&H did at 9 lbs. Sure it's a bit ugly but so are all synthetics in my opinion. The barrel is 24", the muzzle diameter is .660. I sighted it in on Saturday after having the nickel plated scope rings replaced with CeraKoted Tallery QR rings. It was high in elevation but dead on in windage. I just walked it down and fired two shots in a row without changing the scope when I had it where I wanted it. I also had the POS rear sight replaced with an NECG express sight, big difference!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Cool! Thanks Chuck.
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Nice fat bear. You rug that one?

Yes, sir.

About 7'-2"
Just a whisker under 700 lbs. live
21 15/16" on the noggin.
Yoder, you look exactly like one of the dudes from the show "Gold Rush". Nice bear too... probably could've rolled that one out instead of packing it.
Yoder, you look exactly like one of the dudes from the show "Gold Rush". Nice bear too... probably could've rolled that one out instead of packing it.

Haven't seen the show. Can't imagine there being TWO fellers on the planet as dashingly handsome as myself, but............ grin

Luckily the bear fell within 50-75 yards of an area I could access with my Jeep Cherokee. It twisted my hitch-hauler and killed the rear leaf springs permanently. But there was minimal issue in getting him out. Thank the Lord !!! In PA they have to go to a check station.......... in one piece.
Another Sako...

[Linked Image]
There's some dang fine rigs here, boys. Maybe this thread will inspire me to do something about my .375 lust. I'd like to find one of the Ruger Alaskans with the 23" tube and laminate stock, or maybe one of the new M70 Alaskans and dump it into a d'Arcy Echols stock, or maybe just pick up a M70 Safari Express.
Brother Bill, that's a dream rig right there!
[Linked Image]

Here's my M70/375 Wby. Schneider cut to what else but 23"....grin. The barrels a 5 wt and I'd not go quite this heavy if I did it again. I'd go with one of Gary's 4.5 weights.

But, it's a shooting machine. Thinks it's a yote gun...grin

[Linked Image]

Dober
Phew, that's a winner too Dober! That tube does look majorly thick, what's the whole dog weigh?
I'll have to weigh it....tomorrow (I think about 8.5 as it sits)

Dober
That's a good weight! With the XCR stock mine weighs under 8 without a sling and rounds in the belly, and as I found out 2day, not unpleasant to yank the trigger on, even 'outta the dirt off a pod... grin
Plain Jane Model 70 from the original first run after Winchester came to their senses and re-instated the CRF. My 300gr Swift Aframe handloads:
[Linked Image]

And a "suitable" eland caliber (none of that 260 Rem BS):

[Linked Image]
Just upgraded my CZ with a McWoody:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great job by McM, perfect fit.
What do you guys with experience think of the LW H&H contour barrel? Too heavy, too light, or just right. grin Thanks.
FN Mauser in .375. 4'ish contour Shilen. Weighs about 7.6 as pictured and balance great. Close to a perfect .375 in my mind.

[Linked Image]
DMD, that rig is total nirvana!
My thought also and recoil isn't bad. Not nearly as bad as the 9 pound .416 Rigby this replaced.
Recoil really ain't too bad, mine comes in at 7.8 scoped, and I wasn't impressed by the recoil of the 270gr Speers.
Dober, nice! That a pre 64 action?
Yepper

Dober
Newly acquired 700 ks h&h
[Linked Image]
Here's BobinNH's 375 H&Hs... pretty dang close to rifle nirvana too!

I believe the one on the right is a pre-'64 in a Brown handle... but Bob will be able to tell you more.

[Linked Image]
Oh baby, that one on the right!

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Oh baby, that one on the right!

Dober

Tanner thanks for posting!

Sorry for the sloppy basement photo...only one I had handy other than slides and prints buried somewhere.... eek

Dober the one on the right dates back to the 80's and is almost a kissin cousin to your 375.....almost like we followed the same path even before we met on here! LOL!

Pre 64 M70 H&H action,Krieger 24" 410 SS 12 twist tube (had it turned down till it looked and felt right) with some kinda black coating my smith put on it.Stock is a Kevlar/gravite reinforced Brown Precision.8#'s as we see it there.

That's the second tube; the first was a 12 twist Atkinson.

After I built that rifle and started shooting 250 gr Bitterroots over 2900,the 338's all went bye-bye.
BobinNH, Wow! that's pretty much identical to mine, other than mine being a Mauser.
Also, agreed on no need for a .338 with a .375 in the 8 pound range.
Bob...how many rounds to wear out a .375 tube? What is the muzzle diameter?

Tanner...thanks for posting those pics.

Dober...did you have your .375 hard chromed?

Great rifles here! grin...love this subject.

DMD...FN Mauser is my fave.
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
BobinNH, Wow! that's pretty much identical to mine, other than mine being a Mauser.

DMD: I know.. smile They are pretty much the same thing.Kinda hard to beat them.That rifle is why I sorta respectfully disagree about how 375H&H's are heavy....many are as they come from the factory,but the point is, they really don't "have" to be...it is really easy to put one together that is relatively light if you just use the right stuff.

BTW that rifle is a pussycat to shoot! It is even a bit lighter now since I stuck on Weavers and a 3X Leupold....it feels like a Mountain weight 270. grin

Dave 93 I did not wear out the first tube.....I just wanted a SS barrel and when Krieger started making 410 SS (they don't anymore), I wanted one. The Atkinson tube is now on a friends Montana action and still shoots lights out.

The muzzle diameter is a hair below .700 at 24". I'll try to get some better pics of it this week.
It seems that between .65 and .7" at the muzzle, with that big of a hole in the barrel (grin), is just about perfecto! I can't imagine being much thinner than that, seems that the barrel walls would be pretty darn thin. I really, really can like how this rig balances with the weight out front. I need to drift out the front sight still, but it is looking like a rifle that will be hard to leave at home!
If I remember 8.75#s(?) the groups shot was @100 w/Remington roundnose 300gr ammo.

[Linked Image]
Dober, what stock is that?

[Linked Image]

Here's my M70/375 Wby. Schneider cut to what else but 23"....grin. The barrels a 5 wt and I'd not go quite this heavy if I did it again. I'd go with one of Gary's 4.5 weights.

But, it's a shooting machine. Thinks it's a yote gun...grin

[Linked Image]

Dober
Tis a Brown.

And for Tanner, you asked what it weighs it goes 8 lb 11 oz as it sits, so about 9 lbs "all up".

Which is about 1/2 pound or so heavier than I'd prefer. But, it doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it.

4 a while I had a 3-10 Leo w/M1 on top, it was a terror on the longer range gongs at our range. It may go back on it one of these days as I really love to thump that long range steel and I'm not a fan of the 1-5 that's on it.

Dober
I'd love to have an M1 atop mine, that rig just seems so capable out to longer ranges. But, the LR dots I'm using right now I think will prove to be darn useful.

Those Brown stocks are really great looking handles Dober, really classy stick there.

here is bluefish's 375!

[Linked Image]

And specs:

M70 classic action
tuned trigger
refined safety
reworked bolt release
Wiebe bottom metal unit
PacNor 23" Super Match Grade SS barrel finished at 23" No 4 contour
NECG front and rear sights
Gentry banded sling swivel
Echols Legend stock in EDGE with proper reinforcements for safety and strength
Cerakoted metal
Black polane paint with brown flecks
Brown Pachmayr pad

Bare naked weight: 7.5 lbs.
All up weight: 9.0 lbs.
I'm really digging those Brown Precision stocks. Wish I could get my hands on one and see how it feels.
bear, I wonder if they're anything like a Montana stock in terms of weight and feel? After shooting mine prone, I'd have no problem losing more weight on the rig.
[Linked Image]
My two, a M70 with a brown stock and a M77 with a mcmillan.
Originally Posted by bearstalker
I'm really digging those Brown Precision stocks. Wish I could get my hands on one and see how it feels.

bearstalker the Browns have always worked well for me. Mine was reinforced with graphhite/kevlar in the grip/forend and has been good for all these years.The combs are high and straight,I sorta like the modest cheekpiece,and the grips are slender.

If building today I would likely use a Legend,as I have not bumped into a better synthetic stock for a magnum chambering. I recently bumped into a SS Classic 375H&H in a Legend;it fits nicely.

Tanner: General rule (like anything subject to modification)....for diameter at the muzzle, take groove diameter,add .300...that should give a reasonable weight barrel if taper is right.Mine came in at .700 at 24",but the rifle feels lighter somehow.
Might not be what you were talking about, but it's a 375.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by zac0419

[Linked Image]

Welcome!

That rifle is sick! A levergun in 375 Win and 348 Win is definitely on my lust list.
Originally Posted by zac0419

[Linked Image]

Sweet rig, and welcome to the Fire

Dober
This one is a little unusual, in that it started life as a .400/.350 Rigby, with a slant box, single square bridge, magnum Mauser action with a two diameter receiver ring. Back in the '70's, when there was no prospect of ammunition for the original Rigby caliber, it was rebarrelled to .375 H&H, a modification which Rigby was also known to carry out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dober

Mark I'm surprised to see windage adjustable Leupold mounts on that rifle...alot of the 'fire guys told me they are no good...especially on a hard kicker. So I used them on my .375 for 2200 rounds...then got rid of them.... wink
Xausa...tell us more about your Mauser. Beautiful. Did they keep the original slant box when it was rebarreled to .375 ?

Do you have any closeups that you can share with all your pards ? grin
Ingwe-I've had no problemo with the 375 Wby, but I've not shot it near as much as I used to when it was a .340. As a .340 I went thru 2 barrels (thought it was a yote and pd gun...grin) and I went thru two sets of these type bases.

Dober
Tis a Brown.

Gracias, amigo.
The action retains the slant box. If I could locate the original barrel and stock, I would return it to the original condition in a heartbeat.

I don't have closeups at the present, but I will see what I can do.
My 378 WBY Lazermark Japanese 1980's vintage, 5 panel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wow! You must be a really good shot! Don't even need a scope! wink
I still like those old Lazermarks, twas the first rifles I drooled over as a young buck in the very early 80's.

Gunner
psychedelic tablecloth shocked
Originally Posted by Hamburg81
psychedelic tablecloth shocked

My mom knitted it. grin
Originally Posted by ingwe
Wow! You must be a really good shot! Don't even need a scope! wink

That was the first day I got it. It wears a mark 4 LRT 4.5x14 and a 1.5x6 VX3 . Both on Leupold QRW rings.
Originally Posted by Fotis
My 378 WBY Lazermark Japanese 1980's vintage, 5 panel

Me too! Mine's in the much sexier left-handed version though

[Linked Image]
Dober, did Dr. Dan do a sort of Swizzle D on that Bee tube?
darn right he did Tanner

Dober
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
One of the 2 .375's. This one is a .375RUM. It's a Lilja barrel on a Rem 700 action with a HS Sendero stock.

Attached picture 375RUMsmall5.jpg
Nathan:

Good to see you over on this board, too.

Kurt
21" .375Win, topped with a 2-7x B&L...

[Linked Image]
Some super looking rifles here!

Here's how mine looks now, weather proofed and ready to go!

[Linked Image]

And the dang thing wants to shoot! This was prone off a bipod with a rear-bag, but I never carry a pod hunting, or a rear bag for that matter... grin

[Linked Image]
Good shootin Tanner!
Just picked this one up today. Savage Alaskan Guide. Added Leupy QD rings and a 1.5-5 VX3. Might replace the pad on the back with somthing with a tad more cushion. Boy this thing is light and handles well. I know it aint no winchester, but its pretty smooth to me.

[Linked Image]
Very good, Tanner! Nice shooting..... It's behaving like a good 375 should! wink
Thanks Bob! Going to be a tough one to leave at home this season... grin
Nice shooting indeed. My guess is you won't be leaving it at home.
Nice shooting Tanner and no reason to leave that bad boy at home. It's equally at home for either yotes or elks.

Dober
Yep, I think the 375 will be getting mucho playing time! grin
Very nicely done young 'un!!! How'd it feel to 'ride the lighting' when you touched off that first round? grin

Dang, I'm gonna have to get mine out this weekend and give it a go.
It's not much of a ride, I've been beat up a lot worse! I just wear a thin Outfitters fleece pullover, throw the rig down and start booming away. It's possibly my new favorite! grin
Originally Posted by Phoneman
Just picked this one up today. Savage Alaskan Guide. Added Leupy QD rings and a 1.5-5 VX3. Might replace the pad on the back with somthing with a tad more cushion. Boy this thing is light and handles well. I know it aint no winchester, but its pretty smooth to me.

[Linked Image]

NICE looking set up. Always was curious about this Savage configuration. Have you shot it yet?
A few years back I wanted a Lefty Model 70 in 375 H&H and altho Winchester listed them nobody had them so I went custom.
Built by Bob West of Eugene Oregon.
left handed Model 70 with Biesen bottom metal.
23 inch Lilja barrel
Pretty simple Walnut Classic stock with decelerator pad
Leupold 3X9 that I put on it for load development and it stayed on.
Goes a little over 9 Pounds.

[Linked Image]
Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Been on call all week. Hope to touch it off saturday. It is a great feeling rig though. I'm impressed. I know its gonna pack a punch though. It weighs alot less than my 06 hawkeye.

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Originally Posted by Phoneman

[Linked Image]

NICE looking set up. Always was curious about this Savage configuration. Have you shot it yet?
Here is one I had built years ago. 375H&H built on a Whitworth action.
[Linked Image]

I no longer own this rifle.

Terry
Very nice..
The current stable of 3/8" bores.
T-B, Colombian 98 in 375 Hawk/Scovill
Ruger African
Sako AV H&H
Marlin Cowboy 38-55

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pete
Of the many I own the whitworth got the call for both of my hunts.

[Linked Image]
Here's mine, Brevex Mauser by Roger Biesen:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's kind of embarrassing; it shoots even better than my very accurate .220 Swift.
Originally Posted by GF1
It's kind of embarrassing; it shoots even better than my very accurate .220 Swift.

.... There's nothing embarrassing about THAT rifle!

SuperCub
For ammo do you go down on 458 or up on 338 or is there some place you can get 375 C-T Brass? thanks for your time. Cheers NC
That is an absolute classic rifle. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by northcountry
SuperCub
For ammo do you go down on 458 or up on 338 or is there some place you can get 375 C-T Brass? thanks for your time. Cheers NC

I've used 338WM brass in the past. It works fine and is easier to find in this neck of the woods than 458.

Originally Posted by TC1
[Linked Image]

Terry

Man, I love that rifle. Who did the work, and who made that stock??
Here is how it looked last year:
[Linked Image]

I got home and decided that the stock was too short and the barrel too long, so added to the LOP and gave it a paint job. The trigger has been changed and the barrel shortened to 23 inches since this picture was taken. More or less, this is what it looks like now:
[Linked Image]
Sweeeet rig smile
Originally Posted by richardca99
Originally Posted by TC1
[Linked Image]

Terry

Man, I love that rifle. Who did the work, and who made that stock??

John Ricks did the metal work and Henry Pohl of Great American Gunstock built the stock.

Terry
Whatever happened to John Ricks? Is still still around and building?
I don't think John is building anymore.

Terry
Originally Posted by toad

[Linked Image]

This is a very good-looking rifle! I am very curious as to who makes your sling? Looks like a nice piece of leather.

Also how is a sub 8# to shoot?
Scenarshooter here on the board made that sling.

Montana Slings

the sub 8# .357 Ultra is a handfull, but not punishing to shoot.

eye relief is your friend. whistle

my only 375 H&H...it's based on a mid 50's model 70 action in a brown precision stock, leupy 3x.
[Linked Image]
Looks good handwerk, handling and balance come out good?
Pics of my 375 rum. I got a ringer with it.

[Linked Image][IMG]
Originally Posted by GF1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Without a doubt, the nicest looking 375 I have seen. Awesome!!!
Just want to take a moment to publicly say thanks to Redneck for doing a little more work on my 375 he put together last year. I know he helps cut corn this time of the month and he easily could have put me off until afterward but, he didn't and he took care of the issues and he says it is working perfectly well as it should. As soon as I get it back it's going back out for an NP3 treatment on the internals.

Lee has certainly earned my business through his professionalism and competence. I urge others to take advantage of his abilities. Thanks, buddy! I emailed forum member Tanner some additionsl pics Lee took and perhaps he'll post them here. As a side note it sits in an Echols Legend stock and for my money it's the best synthetic on the market today.

Thanks again, Lee. I am already looking forward to our next project.

Jeff
Got mine back this week after getting the Nitron coating to match the stainless to the blued receiver and sights. Matches the Leupold and NECG sights perfectly.

Just in time for moose season! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
very nice rifle, should be a game getter
Just a plain Jane but she shoots perty and recoil is very tolerable to my surprise.I expected much more.

[Linked Image]

Jayco
Here's my Ruger Hawkeye African 375 Ruger, in its McMillan McWoody stock, and an Asian Water Buffalo taken in Argentina.
It's a MOA shooter, and with the McMillan, a very tolerable shooter.

[Linked Image]
i like those mcwoody's
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Here's my Ruger Hawkeye African 375 Ruger, in its McMillan McWoody stock, and an Asian Water Buffalo taken in Argentina.

[Linked Image]

Very nice. Give us a hunt report, please! What bullets?

[Linked Image]
Great lookin buff. Would love to do that someday. Congrats.
Shot the buff with my handload, a 270 gr. Barnes TSX ahead of 81.0 gr. of Big Game powder, MV 2800 fps. Shot was 1/3 up the body, very tight behind the front leg. Bullet under the hide on the far side- perfect penetration on a 2000# animal.

Buff was found in the open grassland early in the morning, and distance was longish for a shot at water buffalo- 140 yards. Still lots of energy at that range with the 375 Ruger.
Shot the buff with my handload, a 270 gr. Barnes TSX ahead of 81.0 gr. of Big Game powder, MV 2800 fps. Shot was 1/3 up the body, very tight behind the front leg. Bullet under the hide on the far side- perfect penetration on a 2000# animal.

Buff was found in the open grassland early in the morning, and distance was longish for a shot at water buffalo- 140 yards. Still lots of energy at that range with the 375 Ruger.

I know a professional hunter in Africa who says he would be mighty happy if every hunter that showed up (for buff or dang near anything):

A) could shoot a .375 well

and

B) was shooting a Barnes X bullet.

John
Ruger Alaskan/Mcmillan stock, on the bottom:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by GF1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GF1.... Very nice. Beautiful in every way.
Bighorn.....nicely set up rifle you have there. Obviously you and your rifle did a great job on your buff. You should post a few more pics of your rifle and tell us what other loads you've experimented with. If I'm lucky, I should have all the parts for my own in about a year. Fingers crossed. Nice job.
Here are a couple more pics of my rifle, with its Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope and Montana sling.
I initially tried the factory stuff that Hornady sells, with their DGX bullet. It shot like crap in this rifle. I immediately set out to handload, and have had the best luck with the 300 gr. Barnes TSX ahead of 72.0 gr. of RL15, and my favorite load, a 270 gr. Barnes TSX ahead of 81.0 gr. of Big Game. Chrono velocity corrected to muzzle is 2800 fps for this load, ME around 4700 ft lb. It is also a very accurate load.
All of the rounds I have tried thru this rifle load and eject flawlessly- no hangups whatsoever. I really like this Ruger Hawkeye action.

Weight of the rifle with scope and Ruger rings is a hair over 9 lb.

I chose to use the 270 gr. load on my buffalo, largely on the recommendation of our own JJ Hack, who has used it in Africa on Cape Buffalo with good results.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Did you chrono the 300 tsx's out of your ruger?
Just checked my records- 300 gr. TSX, MV of 2580 fps, temp. 65 degrees.
Here's a 3 shot, 100 yd. group with the 300 gr. TSX, 71.5 gr. of RL15, out of the Ruger- not all groups are this good, but some are.

[Linked Image]
that's a damned fine looking hunting rifle. just the right weight for the caliber in my opinion and you can tote that baby round all day and shoot anything you like with it. well done.

i emailed Tanner pics Redneck took of my 375 i wish he could get them posted unless someone else wants to PM me their outside email addy.

Looks great and shoots great. Can't get any better than that.
Great shotin, almost 2600 with a 300 tsx is good medicine for just about anything. Makes me regret selling both of my 375 rugers.
Originally Posted by bluefish
that's a damned fine looking hunting rifle. just the right weight for the caliber in my opinion and you can tote that baby round all day and shoot anything you like with it. well done.

i emailed Tanner pics Redneck took of my 375 i wish he could get them posted unless someone else wants to PM me their outside email addy.

I will post those up for you, sorry I've taken forever. First week of college has been hectic.
thanks, buddy. study hard!
Here ya are!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I absolutely love that stock.
Thanks. I just picked it up at the PO and it's an awfully nice rifle. It goes back out tomorrow for an NP3 coating on the bolt and the internals and the moving parts and when it comes back a new scope will go on it and I'll work up a load with it and then take it hunting. Can't wait.
Nicest LH syn-stocked 375H&H I have seen.....
That is a very nice 375, it looks like it will handle very well. Randy
Nice Rifle Tanner, just wish it wasn't backwards...LOL!
Bluefish....kinda hard not to like a .375 with express sights. Great looking rifle.
Some super looking rifles here!

Here's how mine looks now, weather proofed and ready to go!

[Linked Image]

And the dang thing wants to shoot! This was prone off a bipod with a rear-bag, but I never carry a pod hunting, or a rear bag for that matter... grin

[Linked Image]

Hey tanner I can't tell from the pic did you remove the re-sight ? I was looking at geting one of the xcr2 how do you like it
Here's my Whitorth in .375 Holland. I chopped the barrel from 24 to 22 inches and added a Decelerator pad to make it more user friendly. It still has the sliding safety.....a 3-position wing safety is being mulled. It shoots 300 Noslers, 300 Sierra BTs and 300 Hornady solids all into the same POI. Average group size is under 1.5".

Right now, it's wearing a Zeiss Conquest 1.8x5.5 scope. Here it is in Africa mode. In Alaska mode it wears a B&C Carbellite stock.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice dawaba!
[Linked Image]
Here's Mine. Not real pretty but nail driving accurate. Stainless Model 70, Talley QR mounts, Leupold 2.5x8x40 scope.

http://s636.beta.photobucket.com/us...0114_zps958d6f2e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6
There sure are a lot of good looking/shooting .375s on this thread. My Wby DGR in .375 Wby too is not as handsome as many, but it shoots like a champ. I really like a lot of the wood-stocked rifles above, and I was torn about that when buying mine, but I ended up going for synthetic because I was going to use it in Alaska in the fall, where it's all wet, all the time (except weirdly on my hunt). And I know many wood-stocked rifles have handled the rain in countless environments. I just didn't want to worry about it. Plus, it showed up on GB used, but unshot with 6 boxes of ammo for less than the price of the rifle. So, I may put a prettier stock on it at some point, but I thought it would suit me well for my purposes at the time, and it did.

Here it is next to its little .340 Accumark brother:

[Linked Image]

Topped with the Near base and 1.25x-8x Bushnell Elite:

[Linked Image]

In its element:

[Linked Image]

Resting against a furry pillow after a hard day:

[Linked Image]
[quote=dawaba]Here's my Whitorth in .375 Holland. ... Here it is in Africa mode. In Alaska mode it wears a B&C Carbellite stock.
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle/bear combo!

So, do you, as I was contemplating above, keep a wooden stock on it for Africa because it looks so darned good, but put the synthetic one on for the wetter conditions up north? Or does the wooden stock also have any other advantage for you in Africa?

How does that work on whitetails in Texas?
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
[quote=dawaba]Here's my Whitorth in .375 Holland. ... Here it is in Africa mode. In Alaska mode it wears a B&C Carbellite stock.
[Linked Image]

Nice rifle/bear combo!

So, do you, as I was contemplating above, keep a wooden stock on it for Africa because it looks so darned good, but put the synthetic one on for the wetter conditions up north? Or does the wooden stock also have any other advantage for you in Africa?

How does that work on whitetails in Texas?

Like most oldtimers, I love the look and feel of wooden stocks. However, in wet, nasty climes like most of Alaska, there is no denying the practicality of a synthetic stock. I bought an inexpensive Carbellite and bedded it to the barreled action (the Whitorth has a separate under-barrel recoil lug that must be bedded too). Then I slather all the metal surfaces with paste wax or EEzox prior to affixing the Syn stock. After I get home, I clean up the metal and spray the syn stock with a coat of flat black from a rattle can.

For hunting in dry weather, I like the wood. I do my best to protect the finish, and I've found that a dab from a little bottle of Tru-Oil will hide most blemishes.

This arrangement works for me, but I certainly have no truck whatsoever with a guy who prefers wood--or synthetic-- 100% of the time. As for deer, I've never tried the Whitworth on a whitetail. I bet it would work though!
Good Day All! New here to posting been lurking for many years. But I've decided to play a little! Especially when it comes to the 375's one of my favorite subjects. Here's my Win M70 375H&H soon to be able to dress her in a African Style ie what you see & Alaskan Style with a McMillan stock being built for her now.
[Linked Image]
Very nice, Wild Bill! What McMillan stock you order?
Nothing real special just their Winchester Supergrade version with Olive & black splatter. I'm looking forward to it then I need to decide on another scope. 3-9x40 or ????
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Good Day All! New here to posting been lurking for many years. But I've decided to play a little! Especially when it comes to the 375's one of my favorite subjects. Here's my Win M70 375H&H soon to be able to dress her in a African Style ie what you see & Alaskan Style with a McMillan stock being built for her now.
[Linked Image]

That sure is a beauty!! I'd be proud to own that one..Very nice..
Dang this thread just makes me want to take my 375 out of the safe and rub it a few times blush grin
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Dang this thread just makes me want to take my 375 out of the safe and rub it a few times blush grin

Just pop a round off the back porch. That's what I do. grin
LOL I gotta move where I can do that!
That's lovely Wild Bill. There's a left-handed one in the UK I've been very tempted to get my mitts on. Trying to think of any reason not to, and a useful justification.
DaveIRL that's simple...Don't think of it as a Big Bore with a Really Big Boom. Quit frankly it's a 30/06 that just shoots heavier bullets. I use mine for everything in the US West. Besides you living in the UK...It should be mandatory to own a 375H&H. LOL
[Linked Image]

CZ 527 with 16" Brux barrel,.375 X 39 cartridge.350 grains at 1100 fps and quiet as a mouse.
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
DaveIRL that's simple...Don't think of it as a Big Bore with a Really Big Boom. Quit frankly it's a 30/06 that just shoots heavier bullets. I use mine for everything in the US West. Besides you living in the UK...It should be mandatory to own a 375H&H. LOL

I'm in Ireland. I'd almost do it just to see the authorising police officer choke on his coffee when I tell him what I want. Out of curiosity (Just idle curiosity of course, no way I'm trying to convince myself of anything here), for someone who's never shot anything bigger than a .300 mag or a .45-70, how long is it likely to take to learn to manage something like a medium-heavy .375?
Even for a wee Irish lad it wouldn't take you long. I think the 300 mag kicks sharper than the 375. The 375 is more of a big push more like the 45-70.
Glad to hear that. The .45-70 I fired was a Sharps reproduction, so a heavy gun, but I definitely got the big, slow oomph impression. I have another lefty friend who might be interested in splitting the cost of the .375 for future African adventures.
This is one I am kinda proud of. I restocked this Whitworth Mauser to be part of a matching pair that also included a 30-06. I thought then and still do, thats a pretty good matched set for pretty much everything.
[Linked Image]
In this pic, it is wearing a Redfield peep and now it still wears the peep base but has a 2 3/4 heavy duplex Burris Fullfield scope.
As a back up, I also have an almost matching 7x57. I did all the stock work myself using pretty primitive tools and lots of time. Those three will be my keepers.

Tanner, I've been a devout .375 fan for many years; going back to the time when Elmer Keith revived interest in it and Ruger came out with the #1 in that caliber.

My beat-up old pet .375 is an Interarms Whitworth fitted with a just-as-old Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 scope.

My favorite load is the Sierra Game King 300-grain boattail and 75 grains of IMR 4350 for just under 2,500 fps, which is Elmer's old load and still shoots into cloverleafs at 100 yards.

Years ago I had the privilege of reviewing Keith's original correspondence with Sierra when they partnered with him in developing that particular bullet.

I've killed everything with it from antelope to elk, and I loaned it out to friend for moose. It's always done just what the old man said it would do, and you can "eat right down to the hole."

Thanks for starting this thread,

Dick
I've stayed in Rock Spring, Dick on my way west. Lots of pretty open country where a heavy bullet with a decent BC would probably shine!

Best,

Jeff
That's the thing about a good .375; close up or long range, it gets the job done.

The only way to go wrong is too-light bullets.
Originally Posted by Dick_Blust

Tanner, I've been a devout .375 fan for many years; going back to the time when Elmer Keith revived interest in it and Ruger came out with the #1 in that caliber.

My beat-up old pet .375 is an Interarms Whitworth fitted with a just-as-old Zeiss 1.5-6 x 42 scope.

My favorite load is the Sierra Game King 300-grain boattail and 75 grains of IMR 4350 for just under 2,500 fps, which is Elmer's old load and still shoots into cloverleafs at 100 yards.

Years ago I had the privilege of reviewing Keith's original correspondence with Sierra when they partnered with him in developing that particular bullet.

I've killed everything with it from antelope to elk, and I loaned it out to friend for moose. It's always done just what the old man said it would do, and you can "eat right down to the hole."

Dick

Dick, I'm glad you brought up the 300 gr. sierra gameking. Weird thing is, I was wondering how that particular bullet would work for big critters and I guess you answered that question for me...Around here, we use the 250 gr. sierra gameking in our 338 win mags on elk with excellent results. I wouldn't even consider running a different bullet for my 338. Lord knows I've tried many different flavors but went back to the gameking since it works so well....
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
This is one I am kinda proud of. I restocked this Whitworth Mauser to be part of a matching pair that also included a 30-06. I thought then and still do, thats a pretty good matched set for pretty much everything.
[Linked Image]
In this pic, it is wearing a Redfield peep and now it still wears the peep base but has a 2 3/4 heavy duplex Burris Fullfield scope.
As a back up, I also have an almost matching 7x57. I did all the stock work myself using pretty primitive tools and lots of time. Those three will be my keepers.

That's a beautiful rifle. But how did you find a tree that grows sideways like that?
BSA, I've never had a single complaint about that bullet. And with the accuracy it showed right out of the gate, I've never tweaked Keith's original load, either. (If it isn't busted, don't fix it.)
[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle. But how did you find a tree that grows sideways like that?

Thanks MarineHawk, As for the tree, Well I live in central Missouri and Kansas really sucks! : )
[Linked Image]

Thanks MarineHawk, As for the tree, Well I live in central Missouri and Kansas really sucks! : )

Dang, I walked into that one. I grew up In Kansas.
I don't care if you live in Kansas or Nebraska, that rifle is the chit grin
[Linked Image]

My most recent 375 addition
Thanks BSA, I appreciate it.
No offense intended there Marinehawk, just funninn.
I need to get a good group photo of all three. Shoot when I prop them all up along the fireplace together and know "I did that" I kind of impress myself.
Thanks for the comments guys.
This thread was too good to let die!
Model 70 Classic that was born a 7STW, rebarrelled to 375 H&H with a Lilja tube, Williams bottom metal and a Super Grade stock. Metal finish is Cerakote. This picture was taken just after coming back from a leopard hunt and it wears a Leica illuminated scope.
[Linked Image]
That sure is a beauty. I'm with you. This thread is too good to let it die!!
Originally Posted by McCray
This thread was too good to let die!
Model 70 Classic that was born a 7STW, rebarrelled to 375 H&H with a Lilja tube, Williams bottom metal and a Super Grade stock. Metal finish is Cerakote. This picture was taken just after coming back from a leopard hunt and it wears a Leica illuminated scope.
[Linked Image]

Beautiful rifle. What barrel contour?
What Lilja designates as "Remmag28"...a copy of the Remington magnum sporter. This one is .670" at 24 inches.
To me it is about perfect for .358"-.375" bores. And it fits a standard Winchester barrel channel with out too much stock surgery!

Thanks for the comments!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dick_Blust

Dick

Dick, I'm glad you brought up the 300 gr. sierra gameking. Weird thing is, I was wondering how that particular bullet would work for big critters and I guess you answered that question for me...Around here, we use the 250 gr. sierra gameking in our 338 win mags on elk with excellent results. I wouldn't even consider running a different bullet for my 338. Lord knows I've tried many different flavors but went back to the gameking since it works so well....

I used 300gr Sierra out of a 375 rum killed couple moose with them never recovered a bullet.
McCray, that is a beautiful 375.
© 24hourcampfire