Home
Posted By: kimberyote New Model 70 in 375 - 07/13/12
A guy at the range had a model 70 that he said was a year old.
He was shooting handloads @ 100 & 200 yards with astonishing accuracy off of a led sled.
2 shot groups were 1" apart @ 200. If I wouldn't of seen it, I wouldn't of believed it.
He was using 2 types of Barnes in 300 grain.
The most remarkable thing was the trigger. No creep or overtravel @ 4lbs. out of the box.
Great looking oil finished stock with a matte metal finish. Very impressive.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Model 70 in 375 - 07/13/12
Those are nice guns, lot of quality and features for the buck.

I sold mine because it was too heavy for caliber. Winchester uses the same barrel profile for their .375's as they do for their .458's. The bigger bores remove a lot of metal from the barrel and their weight is about right.

I could have spent money trimming it back, but recouped by investment and started over.

DF
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: New Model 70 in 375 - 07/13/12
Does anyone know if the new Winchester Alaskan comes with a thinner barrel than the Safari Express? The Alaskan has a 25" barrel compared to the 24" barrel on the Express. Winchester has both at 9 lbs. The same weight as the 416 Rem. and 458 Win.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: New Model 70 in 375 - 07/13/12
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Does anyone know if the new Winchester Alaskan comes with a thinner barrel than the Safari Express? The Alaskan has a 25" barrel compared to the 24" barrel on the Express. Winchester has both at 9 lbs. The same weight as the 416 Rem. and 458 Win.

The Alaskan appears to have a more slender barrel. That said, they have not yet been produced and made available to dealers yet. DAMHIKT.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Model 70 in 375 - 07/13/12
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Writing the same weight and them actually being the same weight may be a disconnect. If as alleged, using the same barrel profile, there's no way the weights will be the same.

Go on PacNor or similar web site, find a barrel weight calculator and plug in .375", .416" and .485" bores for the same barrel contour and see the difference in weights. It's a lot more than one would think.

DF
Posted By: orion03 Re: New Model 70 in 375 - 07/21/12
The Model 70's are a bit on the heavy side for that caliber, makes them sweet to shoot just not to great to carry. They are shooting son of a guns though. Have a NH model also and it's just as good.
Posted By: castnblast Re: New Model 70 in 375 - 07/31/12
Originally Posted by kimberyote

2 shot groups were 1" apart @ 200. If I wouldn't of seen it, I wouldn't of believed it.

Are you serious? TWO shot groups! That two shot "group" might be nothing but random chance. Five or more shots is a group, three shots repeated several times can indicate accuracy potential, but two shots doesn't tell a shooter much of anything unless repeated many times.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: New Model 70 in 375 - 07/31/12
Originally Posted by castnblast
Originally Posted by kimberyote

Are you serious? TWO shot groups! That two shot "group" might be nothing but random chance. Five or more shots is a group, three shots repeated several times can indicate accuracy potential, but two shots doesn't tell a shooter much of anything unless repeated many times.

Shhhh....you trying to piss someone off?? grin
© 24hourcampfire