Home
Posted By: dogwater Most felt recoil - 12/23/12
I know it's subjective but what is the most felt recoil you have experienced?
The worst gun I have owned was a custom 338 win mag that weighed just under 6 lbs with the scope. I shot one elk with it before it sheared off the base screws and I got rid if it.
The worst recoil I have shot was a custom built by Dennis Olsen of Plains MT. He chambered my Lilja bbl 7 mag and when we went to the range to test it he brought along a 600 nitro double he had built. It felt heavy at around 14 or 15 lbs and I wanted to give it a try. I shot one of his "proof loads". It was a 900 gr at 2400 fps. I considered myself an experienced shooter and I thought i was prepared, offhand, standing. It felt like I got sucker punched. My right thumb came back and gave me a fat lip and bloody nose. I checked a recoil calculator and it showed well over 130 foot lbs of recoil. I only was man enough for the one shot.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoiler Re: Most felt recoil - 12/23/12
The worst thing I have ever shot was a Win M70 .458 Lott that belonged to a buddy and weighed less than 8 pounds. I had some Lott rounds loaded with 550gr Woodleighs that I loaded for a PH buddy and after the first shot from the bench I felt like I'd been stunned. The same loads in my CZ 550 .458 Lott are not bad at all but that M70 with its light weight and narrow footprint on the shoulder was brutal, much worse than either my Lott or my .470 DR.
Posted By: Amos Re: Most felt recoil - 12/23/12
One of the bad ones was a Remington 700 in 375 Rem Ultra Magnum. Without a scope, it really didn't weigh a whole lot. The absolute worst was a polymer frame Stoeger 12ga shotgun shooting 3.5" 18 pellet 00 buckshot. It was just painful.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Most felt recoil - 12/23/12
Originally Posted by Amos
One of the bad ones was a Remington 700 in 375 Rem Ultra Magnum.

+1
When I first got my Rem 700 .375 RUM, I mounted a 2-7x Leupold on it, took it to the range and it only took 6 or 8 shots to convince my that it was not a fun gun to shoot, in fact it was the hardest kicking gun that I have ever shot.

So I put a new custom laminated stock that fits me on it, had a KDF muzzle brake installed, and eventually added a recoil reducer in the stock. After those modifications, I've shot several hundred rounds through it, I've taken it to Africa twice where I used it to make my longest and shortest one shot kills on a big game animal with a rifle, 348 yds on a gemsbok and 30 yds on an eland. I also shot several animals from prone positions, all with no ill effects from reciol.

It will also shoot 3 shot moa groups at 100 yds with both 270 and 300gr Barnes TSX bullets.

It's also the gun that I am holding in my avatar photo.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Most felt recoil - 12/23/12
460 Weatherby....no doubt about it for me.

Lesser items that got my attention was a wildcat equivilent of the 358STA;the 375AI;and the 458 Win.All are rude.I found a 470NE double sorta easy goin' by comparison.While on the subject, the 300RUM absolutely sucks....fast,abrupt,and hard.
Posted By: toad Re: Most felt recoil - 12/23/12
this .375 Ultra. i have one a few ounces heavier that kicks noticably less with the same loads

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheKuskokid Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
.500 A-Square, 600 grain bullet running 2450fps. The rifle weighed 11 pounds four ounces when I bought it in 1996.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
Originally Posted by toad
this .375 Ultra. i have one a few ounces heavier that kicks noticably less with the same loads

[Linked Image]

Geeesh.... eek grin
Posted By: Chipolopolo Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
Hi Dogwater,

I'll answer your question and add a comment as well.

I own and shoot several double rifles. I have a vintage 1896 Charles Osborne 450 400 3-1/4 (10#) a Krieghoff .470 (11#) and a brutal Armeria de Madrid .500NE (10#), The .500 is borderline abusive and I can only shoot it about 6-8 times with full power loads. I see stars, my molars bleed. It resembles being hit in the side of the face with a lead pipe. I do not believe I am recoil sensitive at all. (GeorgiaBoiler has shot it as well)

Now my comment. I just signed up here last week, I used to post on AR quite a lot, I left for several reasons. One of which is the dick measuring contest in their DR forum between several posters. One a doctor, and one an ex-ariforce pilot whose name resembles the Sears line of lousy sporting goods.

These guys shoot .500's, .577's and the behemoth .600NE. These guys are constantly bragging about how far they can shoot off hand, how many shots they can take in a day (one claimed 100) and even post their targets to prove their manhood to one another. One of them bragged about shooting 200 rounds (IIRC) of his .600 overkill in one afternoon.

As we all know, weight is the best defense against a vicious recoiling big bore. These clowns are now asking the Heym rifle guy to build them 11-11.5 pound .577's and .600NE's. Even the Heym representative is telling them that makes a rifle nearly impossible to handle. A .577 should weight nearly 13#'s and a .600Ne should be 13 minimum. The pre-war Brits knew how to build these things weight correct for caliber.

So, to my point, you are not less man for feeling this amount of recoil is uncomfortable and excessive. There was a big bore expert and writer over on AR for year's his screen name was 500grains. He has told me personally that shooting his .600NE was the nearest thing to an automobile accident he has ever experienced.

This comment is simply my opinion; When a man shoots rifles that violent, and brags about his ability to handle it "with ease" and please build my next one lighter, he is compensating for some felt inadequacy in his life somewhere. I DO NOT EVER want to shoot a rifle with more felt recoil than my 10# .500NE.
PERIOD.

I now step off my soapbox.. grin

Posted By: GeorgiaBoiler Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
Those clowns on Accurate Reloading are full of schitt. Nobody shoots 100 rounds of .577 NE, .600 NE, or .600 OK in an afternoon and if they claim to then they are full of schitt.

Accurate Reloading used to have some knowledgeable and experienced posters like 500Grains but Saeed and Don ran them off long ago. That site has long since devolved into a competition between the elderly fat guys who can afford to go to Africa and come back and tell lies about their bravery, the sandal lickers who lick Saeed's smelly Arab arse in the hopes of getting a free safari, and the egomaniacs like Ted Williams and that fat doctor who claim to be impervious to recoil and are petitioning Heym for a 5 lb .577 NE double. LMAO!!
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
I've owned and shot many big bores. Everything from 375's up to the 458 lott. I've owned 3 lotts and fired many rounds. The one that is the worst is my 375 rum. In factory trim with full house loads, its pretty brutal. I've changed out the stock and backed down the handloads a little and its much more enjoyable now. With the brake, its like shooting a 3006. Dont use the brake much but nice to know its there if I want it.
Posted By: antlers Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
I have a .378 Weatherby Mark V with a classic style stock and it kicks very hard and very fast. It does not have a muzzle brake on it.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoiler Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
.458 Lott is a great cartridge and in the right rifle very shootable. Love it.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
The worst I ever experienced was a 458 Lott on a #1. #1's do not fit me and I only shot it once, never again. A 338-378 on a #1 wasn't much better.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
The worst I ever experienced was a 458 Lott on a #1. #1's do not fit me and I only shot it once, never again. A 338-378 on a #1 wasn't much better.

^^This^^ !!! Got a buddy that has the exact same rifle. Felt like I had a concussion afterwards...
Posted By: waterrat Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoiler
Those clowns on Accurate Reloading are full of schitt. Nobody shoots 100 rounds of .577 NE, .600 NE, or .600 OK in an afternoon and if they claim to then they are full of schitt.

Accurate Reloading used to have some knowledgeable and experienced posters like 500Grains but Saeed and Don ran them off long ago. That site has long since devolved into a competition between the elderly fat guys who can afford to go to Africa and come back and tell lies about their bravery, the sandal lickers who lick Saeed's smelly Arab arse in the hopes of getting a free safari, and the egomaniacs like Ted Williams and that fat doctor who claim to be impervious to recoil and are petitioning Heym for a 5 lb .577 NE double. LMAO!!

I don't think your too far off track on some of this!
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
I've yet to shoot any REALLY big boomers.

I have done a LOT of bench time with my 8.5 lb .375 Wby. I have done SOME bench time with one each a .416 Rem and a Rigby. I ran about a box and a half through a .458 Win one afternoon pretty quickly. But the absolute most uncomfortable thing I ever benched is a toss-up between a Browning BPS 10 ga. with 2 1/4 oz. turkey loads and a '95 Winchester four-hunnert-five with a steel buttplate. YOWZER !!
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
.500 A-Square, .460 Weatherby and a too light .450 Ackley.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
My very worst kicker is an 8-Bore rifle, it fires an 850 gr round ball over 300 grains of FFG Swiss powder at 1400 fps.

The rifle weighs 10.0 lbs even, and IIRC churns out about 190 ft. lbs. recoil energy.

Gunner

Man, I heard that. I have a #1 tropical in .416 Rigby and it is a bear.
Originally Posted by gunner500
My very worst kicker is an 8-Bore rifle, it fires an 850 gr round ball over 300 grains of FFG Swiss powder at 1400 fps.

The rifle weighs 10.0 lbs even, and IIRC churns out about 190 ft. lbs. recoil energy.

Gunner

[Linked Image]

I shot this 4 Bore in Australia, it weighted 19 pounds. It was a late 1800's era Bland. It shot a 1500 grain lead ball. It was a pleasure to shoot at 19#'s
Posted By: StarchedCover Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
There have been a couple that were memorable, a 7.25# all up Jarrett 358 STA that broke scopes and pegged out my fun meter pretty quick, a custom 458 Lott that was a bad idea at 9.5 # (my previous 458 Lott was an A-Square that I thought was too heavy) and I took a pretty good ass whipping sighting in a friend's unbraked 416 Weatherby.

I've not shot many doubles, nothing was over 470 NE but I didn't find them unreasonable, nice weight and balance (fired offhand or a standing rest).

A new Sharps shooting 50-140 smokeless loads was pretty grim.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

Gunner

[Linked Image]

I shot this 4 Bore in Australia, it weighted 19 pounds. It was a late 1800's era Bland. It shot a 1500 grain lead ball. It was a pleasure to shoot at 19#'s

Thats cool as hell, was it a double rifle?

Gunner
Agreed about the .470. A 10.5-11# .470 is pleasant to shoot. Nice cartridge.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
My friend has a 505Gibbs. The rifle is heavy enough but everytime I fire it, it feels like I've been punched in the face. I have a 500NE which is pleasant in comparison. grin

Gunner

[Linked Image]

Thats cool as hell, was it a double rifle?

Gunner

Nope, It was a top break single. The thing looked like it was just a couple years old. It was actually over 120 years old. The guy shot about 5 buffalo, a donkey and some other stuff with it. He loaded his ammo every night. You can only fly on Qantas with 5 kilos of ammo. So, he brought loose lead balls, and unprimed cases. We stopped at a gun shop in Darwin, he just simply walked in and bought primers and powder.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
Most unpleasant for me was a Ruger No. 3 Carbine, crescent butt plate, with full house 45-70 loads.
Both my shoulder, and several fingers of my right hand bled.
Just the snottiest little rifle I ever shot.
Posted By: badger Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
460 Wby for me. My 458 Win is positively pleasant in comparison. My 375 H&H more so ....

Man, I heard that. I have a #1 tropical in .416 Rigby and it is a bear.
I've owned a couple of #1's in 416 rigby. I had some hot loads that were moving a 400 gn hornady along pushing 2600 fps. They were pretty uncomfortable. Still not as bad as a light weight 375 rum though. smile

Gunner

[Linked Image]

That is really cool. Would love to shoot that bad boy.
Posted By: Winchestermodel70 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
In my experience, any big bore shot seated at a bench will really hurt. Best to shoot offhand, from a standing rest or from the sticks. Rifle fit is of critical importance with a big bore.

My .470 is quite tolerable offhand for 10 to 12 rounds. More than that and I have a headache later in the day.

The two rifles I usually bring to Africa are a .416 Rigby and a .470 N.E. Neither is punishing regarding recoil. And I practice a lot with them in the months preceding the safari.

Most unpleasant rifle was an issue 1903A3 Springfield. The stock design was very poor for me and the rifle didn't fit me at all. Shooting it from the bench just plain hurt.

Posted By: 1234567 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
.460 Wby.
Posted By: TrueAt1stLight Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
You will all laugh when I tell you this, well, those of you who have never fired one! The most violent recoil I have ever experienced? Perhaps a 12 gauge single shot with 3 inch mag goose load? .375 H&H? .458 Lott? None of these. It was the Smith and Wesson J Frame Scandium revolver in .357 Mag. That damn thing felt like a bomb going off in my hand! Honest to god, it was like someone hit me in the hand with a 2x4! I bought it for an ultralight backpacking gun (it weighed 11.4 oz) but sold it after firing three boxes through it. After firing a full box of .357's through it one day, I couldn't open a door knob with my right hand for a full two days afterwards!

As far as long guns go- has to be my Benelli Super Black Eagle II with 3.5 inch buckshot through it. Weighs way less than my .458 Lott and will buttstroke the hell out of you off the bench! The .458 Lott is a "nice push" in comparison.

-John
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/24/12
Shot some max book loads through a T/C Encore 416 Rigby, weighed a little over 7 lbs. That was brisk!
I quit shooting 3.5" shells through my Mossberg 835 12 gauge. It recoils more than anything I've ever shot except for the 7 lb Rigby.
Posted By: colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
Originally Posted by TrueAt1stLight
You will all laugh when I tell you this, well, those of you who have never fired one! The most violent recoil I have ever experienced? Perhaps a 12 gauge single shot with 3 inch mag goose load? .375 H&H? .458 Lott? None of these. It was the Smith and Wesson J Frame Scandium revolver in .357 Mag. That damn thing felt like a bomb going off in my hand! Honest to god, it was like someone hit me in the hand with a 2x4! I bought it for an ultralight backpacking gun (it weighed 11.4 oz) but sold it after firing three boxes through it. After firing a full box of .357's through it one day, I couldn't open a door knob with my right hand for a full two days afterwards!

As far as long guns go- has to be my Benelli Super Black Eagle II with 3.5 inch buckshot through it. Weighs way less than my .458 Lott and will buttstroke the hell out of you off the bench! The .458 Lott is a "nice push" in comparison.

-John

Shot my friends Ruger "Alaskan" 2 1/2" barreled revolver in 454 Casull with full house loads. There's absolutely no fun in that.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
Worst? Mossberg 500 with 3 1/2" turkey loads. Next, 375 H&H Ruger #1H w/ 300 Partition Hornady High Energy. Beautiful gun, just kicks.
Would Much rather shoot my 300 Weatherby than that turkey load though.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
My 6.5lb 300 ultra without a brake. I have a marlin 1895 in 45-70 that kicks something fierce when stoked with lots of varget under a 400gr Speer. It really helps that it has no recoil reducing pad of any kind on it. Those two make most my 8.5# 375h&h feel Iike a spit wad shooter.
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12

Gunner

[Linked Image]

I think Bob said those were 1800 grain balls belching out of that cannon. I shot it with slugs (2100 grains IIRC) before and with full loads it'll get your attention!
Here's a couple of other pics of shooting it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: saj Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
5.5 lb 3.5 12ga with 2 1/4 oz turkey load. tore skin off my cheek
Posted By: Chipolopolo Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
Originally Posted by AkMike1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey there Mike, fun trip eh? Cal did tell me with full house loads that Bland is a nasty piece. Those loads Bob had were very pleasant.
Posted By: Chipolopolo Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12

So as not to keep everybody wondering what the results of said trip were. This was a DR trip to OZ a bunch of us did in June this year. Noted Double Rifle author and gentlemen, Cal Pappas was on hand and wrote a nice article that came out in Dangerous Game magazine last issue.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GeorgiaBoiler Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12

[Linked Image]

Dang, that thing kicks so hard it tore the right side of your shirt up. grin
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
12 gauge with 2 3/4" slugs. The day i bought my Rem. 870 i shot 60 rnds. thru it...the next day i was back n blue!! The only thing that recoiled more was my buddys 12 gauge w/ 3" slugs.
Posted By: FC363 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
12ga H&R with a hard plastic buttplate shooting 3" 00 Buck. eek
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
416 Wby.
With the KDF brake it was almost tolerable (15 rds/ session). I removed the brake to see if point of impact changed. On the second shot the bolt handle bruised the outside of my hand. The brake went back on and stayed on until I sold the rifle.
Yep! That was a very nice trip! the only thing better would have been getting my permits a tad earlier so I could have taken my 450 NE.. But it would have been lost along with my baggage so maybe it's better that it didn't go?
Posted By: colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
Why is it that a couple hundred fps more goes from Ok recoil to ouch? My 500 Jeffery shooting 570g TSX's at 2300 fps is fun to shoot offhand at least for the first 10 shots. Shooting the same bullet at 2400 fps is less fun and at 2500 fps it's no fun at all! Recoil at 2300 fps is 83.62 ft/lbs with recoil velocity at 21.88. At 2500 fps recoil is 102.22 ft/lbs with recoil velocity of 24.19. Maybe I've just reached my tolerance (or I'm just a wuss)?
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/25/12
I know it's not in the same class as a 500, but a 18" 45-75 P+ 300gr rung my bell unexpectedly. crazy
Posted By: EricM Re: Most felt recoil - 12/26/12

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yikes!! eek
Posted By: colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 12/26/12
Yes Yikes! No desire to shoot that big boy
Posted By: rem40xb1 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/27/12
500 A Square
500 Weatherby
470 Capstick
They all hurt me when I shoot them
Posted By: colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 12/27/12
Ok, let's see best scope cut or shoulder bruise lol ...
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Most felt recoil - 12/27/12
I had a 20" 458lott in a Kevlar stock that was around the 7lb range. The 500grainers would shake the snot out of you. It was dropped more than once by folks who werent quite ready, of course i always told them the truth on the recoil :)never wanted to scope it.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Most felt recoil - 12/27/12
458 Lott. Then there was the 12 ga with a metal base plate but the 338 from the prone position rattled my cage. The snot shaker par exellance was the 460 Wby.

I now have reason to believe the most dangerous place on one of those cannot clearly be defined as the muzzle.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Most felt recoil - 12/27/12
"Most felt recoil" does not necessarily mean biggest cartridge. Some stock deigns are rude and exagerate recoil sensations unreasonably.
Posted By: Sawtoothhigh Re: Most felt recoil - 12/27/12
Along with stock design and weight of rifle, I'd have to say that weight or rather lack of it, really is the reason for painful kicks. I'v owned and shot a bunch of big bore double rifles and bolt actions and since the heavy ones created less felt recoil, I found them OK to shoot. I have a 10# 338 that I really like to shoot....but since I'm not able to do much anymore, it's going up for sale.

A guy I know had a #1 customized to a 416 Rigby and I vowed that never again would I shoot it. Light weight rifles are for light weight ammo.....and just the reverse is true IMO.
Posted By: colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 12/27/12
My 500 Jeffery weighs 11.25 lbs without scope (12 lbs with). It has two 12 oz mercury recoil reducers installed and the balance is perfect for me. If it was a pound and a half lighter it would be zero fun to shoot, for me at least.
Posted By: kevinh1157 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/30/12
I own a CZ .458 Lott and it is a pussy cat compared to my light Model 700 in .338 RUM. I touched of about 7 rounds of the bench in that biyatch and I was speaking in tongues for about 3 days afterward!!! Too much for me! I sold it and use my .338-06 for 98% of my 338 needs.
Posted By: DPhillips Re: Most felt recoil - 12/30/12
Originally Posted by colorado
My 500 Jeffery weighs 11.25 lbs without scope (12 lbs with). It has two 12 oz mercury recoil reducers installed and the balance is perfect for me. If it was a pound and a half lighter it would be zero fun to shoot, for me at least.

My 500 Jeffery was 9 lbs without scope, not quite 10 lbs with scope. I do not own that rifle anymore...
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/31/12
Originally Posted by DPhillips
Originally Posted by colorado

My 500 Jeffery was 9 lbs without scope, not quite 10 lbs with scope. I do not own that rifle anymore...

My 505 Gibbs weighs 10 lbs even, I dont run a scope on it, the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 fps really boot, I have backed this round of reloads back down to a more civil 2250 fps. wink

Gunner
Posted By: colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 12/31/12
The difference between the recoil of a 458 Win Mag and a 500 Jeffery or even more so a 505 Gibbs of roughly the same weight and stock design really has to be experienced. I'm not a big guy, 5'9" 185 lbs, but I can shoot boxes of ammo through a 9 lb 458 Win Mag. One box (20 rounds) offhand through my 500 Jeffery and I'm still smiling but I'm done for the day.
Yessir, I've still been grinning after being hit by a freight train or two as well. grin

Gunner
Posted By: Redleg172 Re: Most felt recoil - 12/31/12
I've shot several different big-bore calibers (.40 and above) and none were too painful because they were in guns designed to make the recoil manageable (or at least not too painful). The only ones I have fired and refuse to again are the .375RUM and .378 Weatherby in sporter weight rifles- they just flat out hurt. It's not necessarily how many foot pounds are delivered - it's how their recieved...
I absolutely agree, back in the mid 90's my 378 WBY developed a slight bulge at 12 o'clock between the top two cuts of the magna-port, I believe magna-port used to make the cuts a bit larger but stopped on the smaller contour WBY barrels.

Anyway, I had the Smith cut the barrel to 24" and recrown, already had the rifle steel bedded in a Pacific Research syn stock [IIRC they were later Rimrock stocks], without the magna-port and in that syn stock that 378 WBY was the rudest and loudest weapon I have ever touched off to date.

The 300 gr Partitions and a very large charge of IMR-4350 plain sucked from the bench. cry

Gunner
Posted By: Wbypoor Re: Most felt recoil - 01/01/13
I have 9 378 Weatherby rifles of various vintages including a 20" carbine and will shoot any and all of them any time compared to those darn 12 ga pump shotguns using 3-1/2" loads. Way too light with crappy stocks. The only guns that have ever hurt me from a 577 Nitro down has been those evil pump guns.
Posted By: TheKuskokid Re: Most felt recoil - 01/01/13

My 505 Gibbs weighs 10 lbs even, I dont run a scope on it, the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 fps really boot, I have backed this round of reloads back down to a more civil 2250 fps. wink

Gunner

You're an animal! When I first fired my .500 A-Sq with 600 grains at 2450 I thought the rifle had hurt me. It just was all over me. My right arm was numb for 30 minutes aftwerwards, and I was really fretting that I might not get the feeling back until it started tingling again. I wrote the editor of Rifle magazine to ask him about big loads since I'd seen some articles in the rag and thought he might know. He did; told me to pack the case with H-4831 and I'd be good. This was back in 1996. My rifle was 11.25 pounds. The memory still makes me dizzy.
I started loading shells with H-1000 and H-870 then began to bring the velocity back up with IMR-7828 and RL-22 in stages. It took me a year before I could pull the laynard at full velocity again. Yeesh.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Most felt recoil - 01/01/13
Dang Wbypoor, ya need a few more 378's LOL, mine so described wasnt the hardest kicking rifle, it was just a rude nasty ill-mannered bucking sombish, that syn stock may have made it close to a pound lighter, not to mention losing a bit over 2"s of barrel length.

TKK, I ran those 600 gr Woodleighs to max velocity to settle in the stock bedding with the cross-bolts, just wanted to make sure all would hold together well, it does shocked, the 600 gr PP soft points at 2250 fps will perform better at the lower speed, makes a much nicer rifle to fire as well. grin

Gunner

Posted By: rem141r Re: Most felt recoil - 01/01/13
i'm a lightweight compared to some of you guys but i have a win 94 timber carbine in 450 marlin that is obnoxious off the bench. it weighs 6 lbs and has a ported 18" barrel. not so bad in the woods but off the bench it is obnoxious.
Posted By: Wbypoor Re: Most felt recoil - 01/01/13
Dang Wbypoor, ya need a few more 378's LOL,

I'm in total agreement with you brother. #10 is in the works and I've got one eye looking for #11...a Jap with exceptional wood. I'd like #12 to be a Mark V born in 1960, same as me. Then I'll be done. Maybe.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Most felt recoil - 01/01/13
I hit the dirt in '63, may have to look around and find a really nice LazerMark or ClassicMark II in 378 WBY again. wink

Gunner
Posted By: Wbypoor Re: Most felt recoil - 01/02/13
I hit the dirt in '63, may have to look around and find a really nice LazerMark or ClassicMark II in 378 WBY again. wink

Gunner

Good luck with your hunt, those two critters are mighty shy.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Most felt recoil - 01/03/13
10-4 Thanks.

Gunner
Posted By: Sevens Re: Most felt recoil - 01/06/13
Most recoil I remember was 3 rounds of 500 Jeffery when I was about 15 years old. Man did my brain get rattled.
Posted By: philthygeezer Re: Most felt recoil - 01/09/13
The .458 Lott kicked my butt in four rounds, and put a hairline split in my brand new Ruger RSM's stock tang while it was at it. My threshold might be .375 H&H for accurate, somewhat relaxed shooting.

Perhaps Ruger will fix or replace the stock and I'll give it another go.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Most felt recoil - 01/09/13
My 500 Jeffrey shooting 600 gr bullets. I still haven't worked up to a max load as the 2200 fps starting loads got my attention and then some off the bench.

I'd say once you get to pushing a 500gr or heavier bullet 2200 fps or faster, you're in a different ballpark of recoil compared to lesser rounds. Even though you can concentrate and not flinch, and with proper technique they won't hurt you, but it takes a tremendous amount of concentration to squeeze off each shot because the gun is going to come back hard.

I loaded 350's @ 2400 fps out of my 458 lott and it was downright reasonable, once I even fired off 2 boxes of ammo during a lunchtime range session. But the 500 gr loads, 10 shots in a session was often too much.

Posted By: EddyBo Re: Most felt recoil - 01/09/13
How would shooting your very heavy aluminum ramrod out of your TC encore with 150grs of pellets compare with a some of these monsters yall are shooting?

I have been considering doing a big bore but may not after reading some of these posts
Posted By: Arac Re: Most felt recoil - 01/09/13
I might sound like a Polyanna, but a plain old Remington Model 700 BDL in .338 Win Mag was the worst for me. Much worse than any of the .375's I've owned and also much worse than my Model 700 Classic in .416 Rem Mag. I guess it just didn't fit me well or something.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Most felt recoil - 01/09/13
Over the years I've had several 375s, several 416s, a 10lb 6 oz 450/400 and a 10lb 13oz 470.
But I found my limit with a 450 Ackley (essentially a Lott) that belonged to a PH in Zim. It was about 9-9.5 lbs and truly memorable.

Pete
Posted By: bluesman Re: Most felt recoil - 01/09/13
Boat paddle stock Ruger .338. The first one hurt so much I had to try it again. This is a two shot rifle but so far has only needed one. An amazing amount of pain, and I routinely shoot a .375 H&H and .416 Taylor, both under 9 pounds, taught me to ABSOLUTELY put the first round where no second round will be required.

I actually, finally, bought a new stock and that made it a four round rifle.

Terry
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Most felt recoil - 01/09/13
The best way to put any objectionable medium bore in perspective is to shoot a few rounds through it, then shoot 3 rounds through a 458 lott or larger, and then shoot your medium bore again.

I gurantee your medium bore will no longer feel objectionable. I also highly recomend a past mag shoulder pad for benchwork, though a lott or larger will still knock you around.
Posted By: toad Re: Most felt recoil - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by bluesman
Boat paddle stock Ruger .338. The first one hurt so much I had to try it again. This is a two shot rifle but so far has only needed one. An amazing amount of pain, and I routinely shoot a .375 H&H and .416 Taylor, both under 9 pounds, taught me to ABSOLUTELY put the first round where no second round will be required.

I actually, finally, bought a new stock and that made it a four round rifle.

Terry

i had a Ruger tang safety .338 that i hated. sold it after just a few rounds.

i just bought one of those boat paddle .338s. so far so good, but all i've shot in it is 225 gr. bullets.

wanna sell your boat paddle stock?
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Most felt recoil - 01/09/13
I once owned two MK V 300 Weatherby's. One a Euromark with beautiful wood, and one an Accumark. I shot the Accumark prone with factory Nosler 180's. Did I mention I used to be a scope crawler?

I've had rifles up to the 458 Lott but the thing that put my keester in a puddle of water was a lowly 31/2",12 ga. H&R single shot shot gun I bought for a cheap turkey gun for my son-in-law. I don't know what these long tent pegs weigh but it isn't enough.

I had some Win 31/2 inchers and rather than shoot offhand, I squatted--didn't sit because a recent rain had made the place a swamp. I wanted to pattern a few of these loads to see what the ugly thing would do--touched one off whilest sitting on my hocks and promptly dunked my a_ _in the drink. It was memorable. Gave it to my son-in-law with a warning.
Posted By: Swoobie Re: Most felt recoil - 01/11/13
No one has mentioned the .340 Weatherby, so I will. I had one in the stainless sythetic Mark V action with no brake - one range session was enough and someone else now owns it. Interestingly enough, I don't have any trouble with any of my three .375 H&H's or either of my .458 win mag. Perhaps it was gun fit, but I hated that .340 Weatherby rifle.
Posted By: colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 01/12/13
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The best way to put any objectionable medium bore in perspective is to shoot a few rounds through it, then shoot 3 rounds through a 458 lott or larger, and then shoot your medium bore again.

I gurantee your medium bore will no longer feel objectionable. I also highly recomend a past mag shoulder pad for benchwork, though a lott or larger will still knock you around.

Agree! My 500 Jeffery makes our 416s and 375s seem like pussycats smile
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Most felt recoil - 01/13/13
Originally Posted by Swoobie
No one has mentioned the .340 Weatherby, so I will. I had one in the stainless sythetic Mark V action with no brake - one range session was enough and someone else now owns it. Interestingly enough, I don't have any trouble with any of my three .375 H&H's or either of my .458 win mag. Perhaps it was gun fit, but I hated that .340 Weatherby rifle.

A .340 Weatherby demonstrates one of the very best platforms to prove the effectivness of Magnaporting. Once done, I'd prefer a .340 over most medium bores for the up front thump and the long range trajectory which is up there with the 7mm Rem.

I like it.

John
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Most felt recoil - 01/13/13
Getting back to heavy loads, my heaviest exercise was working up loads for my .460 with 550gn Woodleigh Weldcores and some 600gn Barnes Originals I had on hand.

The 600 grainer's topped out with 116gn IMR 4350 at 2460fps and 8064 FPE. Ultimately I settled on the Woodleigh bullet at the same velocity, because of availability and construction, which was superior being a bonded bullet, compared to the "tube" cup and core Barnes product. I recovered one weighing 458 grains which is quite good weight retention from a lead core bullet.

John
Posted By: ohiosam Re: Most felt recoil - 01/21/13
I own and have had the chance to shoot some big rifles. The worst recoil I've ever experienced was my T/C Encore with the 20" turkey barrel and heavy 3" mag turkey loads.
The gun only weighs 6 pounds.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Most felt recoil - 01/21/13
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoiler

I don't think your too far off track on some of this!

This was my experience on AR as well. They run the site like a club promoting certain ideas, products (and big ego's).

Anyone who crosses a line, critical of certain product or idea, is hounded and provoked in a tag team manner. Name calling and disrespect all part of the act.

My crime, I was critical of the 600ok. Never the users, just the design parameters. Man, did I ever hit a nerve. I got dumped on big time. I fought back with criticism of muzzle brakes, 2 shot magazines and rebated rims. Pointed out a few 1000's reduction in bore diameter and all issues resolved. I was banned.

I noticed a couple other of the more informed members disappear as well. Never saw anyone banned for bad manners or personal insults. As far as I could guess, it was for opinions contrary to certain moderator or member views.

Website based forums are not a democracy. The owner & moderators can do what they like. I joined several hobby forums and this one caught me by surprise. Live and learn. Fortunately, there is a world of good people and forums to join.

As to most recoil, my 6 lb H&R 12ga with 3 inch magnums is pretty rough.
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: Most felt recoil - 01/22/13
For me it's my ten pound 600NE single shot! 900 grains spinning out at 2150 will get your attention.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rattler Re: Most felt recoil - 01/22/13
i have no real interest in touching off a 600NE but that is one seriously cool looking single shot....
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Most felt recoil - 01/22/13
No kidding Rattler, that thing is sweet, is it an old Greener or Farquharson?

Gunner
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Most felt recoil - 01/22/13
Looks like a Farq
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Looks like a Farq

I'll bet 900 grains at 2150 will knock the Farq out of a man. grin

Gunner

I'll bet 900 grains at 2150 will knock the Farq out of a man. grin

Gunner

It'll get your attention very quickly!

And you need to hang on tight! crazy

This is a Daniel Fraser action. None of the mentioned actions have side levers.
10-4 AKMike, tell me thats a safety inside the trigger guard and not a SET trigger. eek lol

Gunner
That is indeed the safety.. But that's the worst possible place to have it with full boogie loads.

It'll draw blood!
Posted By: rattler Re: Most felt recoil - 01/22/13
still no interest in touching it off, im pretty sure the 600 is outside my recoil tolerance....but would love to get my hands on it and look it over in person....thats one neat rifle...
Stop by for coffee then.. Heck we're almost neighbors.
Posted By: kawi Re: Most felt recoil - 01/23/13
Step behind of an ass on a bad day.
Posted By: hatari Re: Most felt recoil - 01/23/13
I had my .450 N0.2 NE double on me. Didn't knock me as over tea kettle, but I did flinch for a year +. Stopped me from shooting doubles from a seated rest. I stand now.

A .460 Weatherby from the prone position sucks too, if anyone asks.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Most felt recoil - 01/23/13
grinRecoil [bleep] grin
Dude, what would you know about it? You don't shoot anything designed after the Industrial Revolution.

Heard on an ET Buffler hunt

Boom!

"Did you get 'em?"

"We won't know until the smoke clears and the brush fire I started burns out." grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Most felt recoil - 01/23/13
grinRecoil Slut grin

FIXT, and me too Hatari. laugh

Gunner
For sure.
Posted By: shaman Re: Most felt recoil - 01/23/13
I shoot a 2oz 3" 12 GA load of #4 lead out of my Mossberg 500 at the turkeys. The recoil on it is something like 54 ft/lbs.-- better than twice my 35 Whelen Remington 7600.

One year I shot a round prone at a gobbler in late April, and I was still feeling my shoulder come Labor Day.

Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Most felt recoil - 01/23/13
For me it's my ten pound 600NE single shot! 900 grains spinning out at 2150 will get your attention.

[Linked Image]

Trying to wrap my head around taking the recoil of my 500 Jeffrey, and increasing it by 50%.

It's only 10#'s ?!!!
grinRecoil Slut grin

FIXT, and me too Hatari. laugh

Gunner

grinNahhh,he's STILL just a recoil [bleep].When he shoots yer 505 or yer 500 double and THEN yer 8 bore he will have gradyated to slut status grin Hatari is still farm team grin And yeah, I luv dem buffler guns!!! laugh
Posted By: AkMike1 Re: Most felt recoil - 01/23/13
grin And yeah, I luv dem buffler guns!!! laugh

Then you otter kreme yer jeans with this 600 ellyfant gun! wink
[Linked Image]

Buffler Guns
Posted By: RaySendero Re: Most felt recoil - 01/24/13
I've never been hurt (or hurt too long) from anything rifle or shotgun I've shot from a standing position - 45/70, 458 win, 12 gauge turkey loads, a 9,3 w/ steel butt even a 10 gauge S/S that doubled!

However, the ones I do remember that really hurt seem kinda out of place after reading all these other experiences! A light 20 gauge with a slug shot leaning over the hood of my truck, also a 50 cal ML in same position, a Browning BAR in 30/06 off bench, a 12 gauge 3 1/2" turkey gun sitting at the base of a tree with my shoulder against the trunk, a 50 Desert Eagle right-handed with right elbow locked straight!
Posted By: ColKlink Re: Most felt recoil - 01/24/13
Originally Posted by fourbore

This was my experience on AR as well. They run the site like a club promoting certain ideas, products (and big ego's).

Anyone who crosses a line, critical of certain product or idea, is hounded and provoked in a tag team manner. Name calling and disrespect all part of the act.

My crime, I was critical of the 600ok. Never the users, just the design parameters. Man, did I ever hit a nerve. I got dumped on big time. I fought back with criticism of muzzle brakes, 2 shot magazines and rebated rims. Pointed out a few 1000's reduction in bore diameter and all issues resolved. I was banned.

I noticed a couple other of the more informed members disappear as well. Never saw anyone banned for bad manners or personal insults. As far as I could guess, it was for opinions contrary to certain moderator or member views.

Website based forums are not a democracy. The owner & moderators can do what they like. I joined several hobby forums and this one caught me by surprise. Live and learn. Fortunately, there is a world of good people and forums to join.

As to most recoil, my 6 lb H&R 12ga with 3 inch magnums is pretty rough.

I posted over there many years ago. The guy who designed the .600 OK has an entire posse of sycophants who jump on anyone who disagrees. Any criticism of that redundant, useless, and poorly designed cartridge is for sure verboten. You're not missing anything by being banned from that site.
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: Most felt recoil - 02/03/13
I shot a .460 Weatherby Mag in AZ at a range north of Phoenix in 1984. I was 22, and it didn't knock my teeth out or bloody my nose.

$5 bought you a round, stood in line to shoot it. A lot more guys bought a round than shot it. They let the rifle "rest" after every 5 rounds. It was an awesome experience.

Owned a Ruger No.1 SS/Lam in .458 Lott. Not a lot of need for that cartridge in IA, but it was fun to watch others shoot it. The rifle had a bbl. that seemed like a truck axle. Not too punishing with a hefty starting weight.

Ruger No. 1 in 375 RUGER in a medium sporter, weighing a lot less than a Tropical will get your attention.

The worst recoiling rifle I ever shot was my Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight in .300 WBY MAG. If you weren't careful, I could give myself a thumb to the nose hard enough to produce tears, and a little bit of blood.

It was all fun.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Most felt recoil - 02/08/13
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Most unpleasant for me was a Ruger No. 3 Carbine, crescent butt plate, with full house 45-70 loads.
Both my shoulder, and several fingers of my right hand bled.
Just the snottiest little rifle I ever shot.

That's without doubt true... but what was the load? My son shot his with the same load I was using in my #1 at the time = a 500gr Hornady at 2010 fps! He now has a #1 ! laugh

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Most felt recoil - 02/08/13
460 S&W Revolver - what a poor idea.

One day I practiced fast shooting with my 416 Rigby - four magazines of four rounds each in about two minutes.

It wasn't bad while I did it, but my shoulder was deeply sore for a couple of days.

But, they way I feel is the reason to have a DGR is to learn how to use a DGR.

One one occasion the set trigger got the best of me and the scope drove the bridge of my glasses into what used to be the fatty tissue on my nose - a permanent scar was the result, but I don't blame the recoil, I blame the operator.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Most felt recoil - 02/13/13
Originally Posted by dogwater
I know it's subjective but what is the most felt recoil you have experienced?

A 6 pound Ruger #3 in .45-70 pushing 400 grain Speers to 2175 fps. It didn't have a recoil pad, just a flat, hard plate.
Posted By: ppine Re: Most felt recoil - 02/13/13
An original Model 1895 winchester in .405. It has a straight grip, crescent butt plate, and weighs under 7 pounds.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Most felt recoil - 02/13/13
I had one of those, only mine was an upgraded version with a factory (?) recoil pad. However, that pad had fossilized so that the edges flexed, but the center did not ... basically it focused all the recoil energy in an oval about 3/4 inch across and 1.5 inches high. Yeah, I remember that.

The other "fun" with that gun was my ammo was all early production factory stuff and each shot was a slight hang fire. I could hear the hammer slap as a separate event prior to the gun going off. Never failed to go off, but always a fraction of delay.

That's a hell of a combination if you need to learn how to flinch. smile
Posted By: drducati Re: Most felt recoil - 02/18/13
As a rule I have found any Ruger #1 in big calibers unpleasant to shoot. My Ruger in 458 Lott is just unbearable. I have shot lots of big bore up to 505 Gibbs (which is way too much fun)and the Weatherby cartridges as a family are unpleasant. Earlier someone described a rifle as "making his molars bleed" and I have to say that's the way I feel about a 308 Norma Mag I had years ago. It weighed under 7# with scope and was just plain nasty.
I used to go on the AR forums starting in the '90s but the ass***s ran all the knowledgeable guys off. AlbertaCanuk was the last I knew that knew anything for sure.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Most felt recoil - 02/18/13
Breaking in my new Shiloh 45/110 and increasing the charge from 96 to 105grs of KIK 2F behind a 530gr Postel greaser was an eye opener of raw power these old cartridges were capable of.Not overpowering but yet I think you'd whip a good ole fashion azz whuppin on yourself if you bench shot 30-40 rds or would feel like you went 10 rounds with Joe Frazier! grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Most felt recoil - 02/19/13
Hey Woody, You, ET, Jorge, and Sharpsguy are bad habit enablers to the max grin, just today I bought a beautiful little '74 Shiloh Sharps in 45-70.

30" octagon barrel and 10 lbs all up, will be a sweet little hunting rifle, though the recoil wont rate for this thread, just thought I'd let you guys know how habit forming this is gonna get. shocked. LOL

Gunner
Posted By: Fotis Re: Most felt recoil - 02/19/13
8 lbs 378 Bee with factory 270 Hornies doing 3220 fps no brake.
Posted By: Larry in Colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 05/06/13
H&R 12ga single shot. Last time I shot one was 1983...won't touch another...ever.

I think this one may qualify as the worst ever?

.950 Shoulder Cracker
Posted By: AK416 Re: Most felt recoil - 05/06/13
My 5lb 9oz 9.3x62 shooting JBs load with a 286gr Swift around 2500fps.

Makes my 416 seems pleasant.
Posted By: colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 05/06/13
Worst thing I've ever shot was the 454 Alaskan revolver (2 1/2" barrel) with full house 454 Casull factory loads.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/handgun_reviews_rgrrh/
Posted By: reflex264 Re: Most felt recoil - 06/20/13
My first attemp at the .416 Taylor build that weighed 6lbs. It was in a sythetic stock. When shot the stock would flex at the pistol grip then unload on you. It made a 7.5lbs .458 feel like a cap gun. reflex264
Posted By: Hwhit Re: Most felt recoil - 06/22/13
Well until recently the biggest rifle I had shot was my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H which was not bad. I recently decided to get a true big bore and bought a re-barrelled H&R in 585 Hubel Express from ED, I've only shot the starting load 650 gr. bullet at 2400 fps, and it is more of a Big slow push not near as bad as I expected. The worst thing ever was a H&R 12ga with 3" slug and no pad.
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Most felt recoil - 06/25/13
Worst I had was a double discharge on a .470NE. We were doing our PH dangerous game shooting exam, and both barrels went off hitting the "charging buff" just under the chin in the throat, and square between the eyes 1" below the bosses.
After the initial thump I took , I really lent into the rifle for the second shot which was only followed by a "click".
That rattled the confidence on big bores for a while to say the least.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Most felt recoil - 06/25/13
You probably had the fastest two hits of anyone taking that exam... cool

DF
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Most felt recoil - 06/26/13
I passed. smile
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Most felt recoil - 06/26/13
thanks guys for the info on the h&r 12. just got mtne back from factory & was thinking about 3 in. buck for hogs--now i believe i will go with the 2& 3/4 in. buck. may have to stay with the ruger blackhawk if i get sore shoulder.---cranky72
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Most felt recoil - 06/26/13
I think the hardest I got kicked was by a Shiloh Sharps in about 1986. The rifle had a standard weight barrel and weighed 8 pounds. It was a 50-140 and was loaded with 140 grains of 2f black powder and a 750 grain bullet. My nose bled and the whole side of my face and ear went numb.

I'm sure there are harder kicking rifles out there, but that was the toughest one I ever shot.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Most felt recoil - 06/27/13
The hardest I was kicked was with my McMillam Mac50, a buddy of mine bet me I wouldnt shoot it without the muzzle brake on, took me right off my chair
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Most felt recoil - 06/27/13
Originally Posted by gemby58
The hardest I was kicked was with my McMillam Mac50, a buddy of mine bet me I wouldnt shoot it without the muzzle brake on, took me right off my chair

Ouch...!

No way would I touch off a big 50 w/o the brake... blush

I guess you did win the bet, sorta... laugh

But, he got the biggest laugh... cool

DF
Posted By: drducati Re: Most felt recoil - 07/08/13
I spent the afternoon on the bench shooting 375 H&H test loads then 20 rounds of 450 Dakota. My vision was blurred for a week. The Dakota with a 450 gr solid at 2400fps is a pleasure to shoot off hand and very accurate. The worst was a SAKO Safari Delux in 416 Rem. It cut my nose and my eyebrow-twice. It's for sale if anyone wants it. Beautiful gun.
Posted By: colorado Re: Most felt recoil - 07/09/13
Recommend you get a lead sled for bench shooting. I boxed Golden Gloves when I was in my late teens. Blurry vision not a good sign.
Posted By: Trap4fur Re: Most felt recoil - 07/19/13
I have to say a moss berg 835 tactical turkey with a 20" barrel /3.5" federal heavy weight of sand bags on a bench that was to low ouch!!!
Posted By: WildWest Re: Most felt recoil - 07/19/13
The one I remember the most was an old mod 70 winchester 30-06, steel butt plate. My buddy bought it because it was cheap. We were kids and all excited to shoot a big gun. I had shot a 243 a couple of times before. We both looked at each other with big eyes and said damn that just plain hurts. We did not know much about holding a gun or shooting but we were game to learn. We did not shoot his gun much. We did learn how to hold em.
Posted By: elkermarty Re: Most felt recoil - 08/22/13
For me it is my 338/378 KT. shooting a 250 grain bullet. Of off the bench it will rattle your teeth BUT when you have hair in the scope the felt recoil is not felt.
© 24hourcampfire