Home
Posted By: EddyBo 458 Lott Mod70 sights or no? - 01/29/14
Should I add quick detach mounts and add a barrel band front sight and corresponding rear sight before sending it the birdsong's for some black T? I have a 1-4 Trijicon that I am going to mount on it for the time being in some standard talleys, but am not enamored with them and might so a different direction with mounts anyway, whether I add sights or not.

It is just a newer model Mod 70 in a red pad mcwoody with a douglas (I think) barrel.

[Linked Image]

BTW any recommended manufacturers for sights that would look and function well?
Posted By: toad Re: 458 Lott Mod70 sights or no? - 01/29/14
I don't really like back-up irons. I've stripped them off of my .375s and .338 in favor of fixed power and solid mounts.

they look cool and people like to romanticize about spending months alone in Africa or Alaska and "what if", but they seem to catch on eveything within reach and will likely get hammered before the scope.

now, if the irons are primary, things differ.
That's strange, I have 60+ year old rifles that still have factory irons. Still look and work great. I don't see them snagging on anything and coming off any time soon either.
Posted By: toad Re: 458 Lott Mod70 sights or no? - 01/30/14
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
That's strange, I have 60+ year old rifles that still have factory irons. Still look and work great. I don't see them snagging on anything and coming off any time soon either.

it won't happen in the gun safe... congratulations?

Originally Posted by EddyBo
BTW any recommended manufacturers for sights that would look and function well?

NEW ENGLAND CUSTOM GUNS has a few
If it were mine I would sight it.
New England Custom Gun Works
Posted By: Biebs Re: 458 Lott Mod70 sights or no? - 01/30/14
Sights, for sure....NECG Masterpiece sights. How long is that barrel?
Posted By: SWJ Re: 458 Lott Mod70 sights or no? - 01/30/14
snip...a red pad mcwoody...snip

What model is the McWoody?
Winchester hunter.

I am going to lop a couple inches off the barrel before adding the sites. Then I am going to take up to birdsongs.
No iron sights (no use to me) on my Sako 458 Lott -

[Linked Image]
I vote you go with NECG irons as well. Good piece of mind and insurance for a functioning rifle if you blow your scope up on a hunt.
Should I add quick detach mounts and add a barrel band front sight and corresponding rear sight ....

Depends what you intend for that rifle. If it's a DGR I would have irons on it. NECG band FS and maybe a detachable aperture RS.
I won't use iron sights and a scope on the same rifle again, it will be one or the other. Perhaps a screw on scope mounting system (Talley lightweights) with a fixed front sight and a rear sight in my kit bag, I can switch to irons in the field without rezeroing then.
Posted By: EdM Re: 458 Lott Mod70 sights or no? - 01/31/14
I like Mr. Wisner's stuff myself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LJB Re: 458 Lott Mod70 sights or no? - 01/31/14
The answer is in the stock. Looks like that stock is designed for scope use, which could make it very uncomfortable with irons; especially so with a .458 Lott. Check the stock fit/eye position with both scope and irons test set-ups and then go with which one works better for you.

Winchester hunter.

I am going to lop a couple inches off the barrel before adding the sites. Then I am going to take up to birdsongs.

Wow, his last post, hope he is getting all the hunting in he wanted.
Posted By: Mink Re: 458 Lott Mod70 sights or no? - 02/01/14
Originally Posted by Partsman
Winchester hunter.

Wow, his last post, hope he is getting all the hunting in he wanted.

Indeed, a good guy from the few PM's I exchanged with him, and reading his posts. A lot of knowledge left us with him.
Originally Posted by EdM
I like Mr. Wisner's stuff myself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice!
© 24hourcampfire