Home
Posted By: ringworm Stop while you're ahead. - 09/18/14
Finally got a chance to table my 376 and see what my load is capable of, accuracy wise.
The distance is 200 yards. Steyr prohunter 376, 270 grain hornady flat base, soft point. 62 gr. IM6R4895, CCI primer, 3.1" OAL.
scope is Leupold 2-7 VX-R.
After the 2nd shot, I didn't have the nerve to fire again. But, if 2 shots of 375 running 2500 FPS doesn't kill... what good would a third do?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: toad Re: Stop while you're ahead. - 09/18/14
this was a target somebody else left hung up so I lobbed a few at it. i know it was a fluke, but still...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ringworm Re: Stop while you're ahead. - 09/19/14
At 200 yards, touching holes ain't luck or a fluke.
My crosshairs cover more area than my group.
Nice shooting ringworm. How'd your shoulder doing???
Posted By: EricM Re: Stop while you're ahead. - 09/19/14
Excellent shooting fellas!!!

Toad, what kind of scope are you using? Stock color rocks!!!

Eric
Posted By: ringworm Re: Stop while you're ahead. - 09/19/14
I know the prohunter stock looks queer, but, it really mitigates recoil.
The calculator says 34 pounds of recoil. I'm usually not on a bench so I don't even notice.
I just wish I had the money to go to field against something worth shooting with it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: toad Re: Stop while you're ahead. - 09/19/14
Originally Posted by EricM
Excellent shooting fellas!!!

Toad, what kind of scope are you using? Stock color rocks!!!

Eric

that scope is a Leupold 1-4x. by coincidence, it came with my own .376 Steyr Pro Hunter, but got shuffled to the .350
Posted By: safariman Re: Stop while you're ahead. - 11/01/14
I am surprised, reading lately, how many of these 375 cal rounds do not outperform the old 35 Whelen. A 250gr bullet can be driven to 2500-2600 from a 35 QWhelen, and that is all the books and articles give the 376 Styer OR the newish 375 Hornaday.

Not that there is anything at all wrong with a good 250gr bullet going 2500-2600 from a medium bore of any kind. Same-same with the even older 348WCF. But with one of THOSE miserabl e steel buttplate sumbeechz, one does not really enjoy shooting the top loads. They have made me yell 'OUCH' out load at the gun club....
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Stop while you're ahead. - 11/01/14
I assume your reference to the 'newish .375 Hornaday' that you are referring to the .375 Ruger.

My handloads of 250 gr. Barnes TTSX bullets breeze along at 2880 fps MV quite easily, and safely. And out of my Ruger Hawkeye African, they don't make me yell OUCH.

The benefits of a high BC bullet, like the TTSX, at speed, were made obvious on my last trip to Africa, where plains game shots in the Eastern Cape, Karoo, and Orange Free State ranged from 200 to over 275 yards.
© 24hourcampfire