Home
Hey Folks,

Just came across this new release from Weatherby:

Vanguard in 375 H&H

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but looks like a pretty nice package and would have to be considered a true value for a DGR. Howa builds a solid rifle and I really like the iron sights they've chosen.
Very nice. I like both the Vanguard and .375.
I wonder if they will be offering it in their own 375 version.
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Hey Folks,

Just came across this new release from Weatherby:

Vanguard in 375 H&H

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but looks like a pretty nice package and would have to be considered a true value for a DGR. Howa builds a solid rifle and I really like the iron sights they've chosen.

I don't see wt. and bbl. length.

DF
But, But, But, it's a push feed?
Surely it won't sell?
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
But, But, But, it's a push feed?
Surely it won't sell?

You right... shocked

Won't sell, for sure... cool

DF
"I don't see wt. and bbl. length."

Weatherby is still working the kinks out of their new website, but you can find the specifics about the .375 H&H version listed with the standard synthetic model.

It has a 24" #2.5 cont barrel.... 8 pounds in weight.

I'm very happy to see a Vanguard in .375 H&H. I'll buy one!
bad point on the Vanguard for 375 use is the very weak bolt stop......
Very nice offering in a great (Vanguard) platform, I'd have no qualms with it, other that I don't do synthetics. I have a MKV in the same caliber (only made on year, 2006)and it's a beautiful rifle. I also own two VGs and they are fine rifles.
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
bad point on the Vanguard for 375 use is the very weak bolt stop......

Haven't heard that.

What's the story?

DF
the Vanguard bolt stop is designed somewhat similar to a M 70, however the screw that secures the sheet metal stop to the receiver is quite small , and then recessed out where the sheet metal pivots.... leaves a very tiny shank to absorb the shock when you run the bolt.....the spring is also quite small

I snapped that screw off on my 300 Vanguard just doing dryfire practise , and the spring disappeared to parts unknown......I could envision a panic situation with a dangerous critter where this would not be desirable !

Weatherby took care of me fine....sent new parts at no charge , but its still a weak design in my book , and it could be beefed up on their part with very little trouble
Needs a 20" barrel and id buy one.
Corresponded some with Weatherby today regarding this new model. While it is a 24" barrel, the contour is heavier and will not drop into after-market stocks. Apparently, Weatherby has some B&C stocks available that will accommodate this feature.
If's it's really 8 pounds and 24 inches and has no brake I'm going to have get one.
I had never heard of the weak bolt stop either. My dad has had one of his Vanguards since 1977/78 and it has never failed, with very hard hunting conditions.

I think, all counted, my group of family and friends have about 35 Vanguards currently. Never had a problem with any of them. We hunt in Alaska every year (originally from there) and have been to the African continent 4 times now, all with Vanguards, and a couple MArk Vs.

Does Nosler beef up this bolt stop when building their custom rifles off the Howa action? A friend has one of theirs in .458 Win Mag and it's also a sweet gun.

I did a Google search about this bolt stop issue and it does seem as though some people have had issues with it. I wonder if this is something that could easily be addressed by Weatherby, so the new rifles come out of the factory 100% bullet-proof..?

I'd be willing to bet that Weatherby will be offering a stock upgrade/upgraded model in .375 H&H once they see how the market is.
Always wondered why they didnt make the vanguard in 375.
Is the 375 H&H action length the same as the vanguard 300 wby? If so the Back Country stock can be had for $300 or so.
Originally Posted by old_willys
Is the 375 H&H action length the same as the vanguard 300 wby? If so the Back Country stock can be had for $300 or so.

The action is the same, but the .375 H&H uses a slightly heavier barrel. I'm not sure the barrel channel will fit without modification.
One simply can't have enough 375s! here is the aforementioned MKV only made in 06. Points and shoots very well:

[Linked Image]
That stock is fugly... You need to send it to me and get something else.
Originally Posted by huntin_chic
I had never heard of the weak bolt stop either. My dad has had one of his Vanguards since 1977/78 and it has never failed, with very hard hunting conditions.

I think, all counted, my group of family and friends have about 35 Vanguards currently. Never had a problem with any of them. We hunt in Alaska every year (originally from there) and have been to the African continent 4 times now, all with Vanguards, and a couple MArk Vs.

Does Nosler beef up this bolt stop when building their custom rifles off the Howa action? A friend has one of theirs in .458 Win Mag and it's also a sweet gun.

I did a Google search about this bolt stop issue and it does seem as though some people have had issues with it. I wonder if this is something that could easily be addressed by Weatherby, so the new rifles come out of the factory 100% bullet-proof..?

It's a known issue and can be addressed for a little more then a C note by a competent gunsmith,just have a side receiver bolt stop installed,

Nosler is not built off a Vanguard or Howa action. Design is similiar but they add the side bolt release on the reciever the way it should have been designed by Howa. They do that and there might not be a better action to build a rifle on except maybe a model 70
Originally Posted by jorgeI
One simply can't have enough 375s! here is the aforementioned MKV only made in 06. Points and shoots very well:

[Linked Image]

Jorge
I can image Fotis looking for his chequebook about now.
John
huntin chic,

The Nosler action was designed by the same guy who helped design the Howa and has a strong resemblance, but the Nosler is made in Oregon. It's investment cast in a town near Portland, then the final machining is done at the Nosler factory.
Yep, ad the photo does not do it justice!
Thanks, Mule Deer! I didn't know that.
© 24hourcampfire