Home
I've been using the 260gr. partition and they shoot very well in my old rifle. However, I haven't seen them for sale at SPS in a while, so I have been thinking about trying the 300 gr. partition. SPS has them on sale for $23.95/bag. Do you guys have a preference toward one over the other? Thanks...
Whatevers on sale is always my first choice.
300 grain.
Originally Posted by rosco1
Whatevers on sale is always my first choice.

Ha ha... Me too... I was at Cabela's the other day and saw a box of loaded ammo with 260gr. nosler partitions. It was only $80.00..... eek
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
300 grain.

I don't know if you are stocked up on your 300 gr. pills, but here's what SPS has in stock:

300 gr. .375 bullets SPS

41 bags left..
Have about 10-12 boxes of 300 gr Sierras to use up. Then it's about the same for the Hornady's,round nose and spitzer boat tail..

Have plenty of 300 gr bullets to last me awhile. wink
I had good luck with the 260 gr Accubond, but they're nearly impossible to find.

Eric
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Have about 10-12 boxes of 300 gr Sierras to use up. Then it's about the same for the Hornady's,round nose and spitzer boat tail..

Have plenty of 300 gr bullets to last me awhile. wink

I figure after I burn up my 260gr. partitions, I'll start on the couple hundred 270gr. Hornady SP interlocks I have... However, the 300gr. Nosler partitions are intriguing... The bitter roots I have, will probably never get used.... blush
Have a bunch of the 270 gr Hornady's also,both round nose and spitzer.

Good thing I have 3-.375's. 2-H&H and 1-RUM.
The recoil is significantly more with a 300gr vs 220gr or 250gr.

I really like the 260s.
250-grain TTSX with RL-15 for my .375 Wby works well.
300gr in my 375WBY
1917, I have been shooting the 260 Accubond in my .375 H & H.
They seem to shoot flat and hit hard.. Took a moose and an elk with them last fall.. But here I hunt much more open country than you would in Oregon.. I am not sure how many bullets I have for my .375 I don't hunt with it often.. But it sure is a killer..
300. smile
300 NP
270gr TSX in 375 H&H and 375 Ruger.
Mostly 260gr Noslers, great killers here on deer & elk. The little sleeper for me is the Sierra 250gr. I've had more bang flops with that bullet than any other. When I need tough I'll look for the 270gr TSX. But I have no plans to hunt Africa anytime soon so honestly I haven't tried the TSX. Just heard from trusted sources they lay the smack down on everything over there including Buffs.
I shot three deer with the 220 Hornady and it works great.
300grain
I have used the 260 gr Partition to take a couple of elk. I have now dialed in a load using the 270 gr TSX for brown bear next year. So no preference really.
With a previous 375 I used Hornady 270gr SP. Only killed deer and one elk with them.

I sold my bigger than 400 caliber rifles and have a 375 in process. Should be done soon, so I just ordered some 270gr Hornady's and 270gr TSX's. Hoping to get both bullets to shoot to the same POI.

Figure I'll be all set.
Unless you are going to shoot something bigger than a Buick, Ive had excellent luck with Hornady 270 grainers.

It even works on sub-compact sized Buick critters...

[Linked Image]
270 grain TSX and RE 15 is bad to the bone..........
300 gr Partitions and 270 gr TSX's, at 2700 and 2860 fps respectively.
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
270 grain TSX and RE 15 is bad THROUGH the bone..........

fixt laugh
Originally Posted by ingwe
Unless you are going to shoot something bigger than a Buick, Ive had excellent luck with Hornady 270 grainers.

[Linked Image]

Damn, I guess a Cadillac is out of the question then.....Thanks ingwe..

[Linked Image]

Your son is a spittin' image of you Tom.
My bud messed around with couple bullets prior to his Kodak hunt last year 300gr accubonds, 300gr tsx. He ended up settling with the 300gr Tsx. BSA I would use the 270 hornady or 300gr Sierra btsp on anything in good ol North America.. My stainless classic loves those 270gr speers loaded with h414 i use that bullet on brown bear as well wouldn't be my first choice but I would use it.
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

Your son is a spittin' image of you Tom.

Personality wise hes a lot like me too. Handsome, extremely intelligent, witty, and modest. grin
I've had great results with the Barnes 270-gr TSX at ~ 2750 fps as an all-arounder.

[Linked Image]

From the off-side of "stripes."

[Linked Image]

Shot the single smallest 3-shot group with this bullet in any cartridge above 30 cal. And repeated it.

[Linked Image]
I could not count the number of 375s I have owned or been directly involved with.

The first load I try in any 375 is 78 grains of W760 and 300 grain Hornady round nose. Either Fed 210 0r 215 are about equal. If the rifle does not shoot this load then the odds are extremely high that the rifle has problems, whether barrel, bedding, scope/mounts. The 300 grain Sierra has also been good but I have not tried it in nearly as many rifles and the Hornady.

The 260 grain Nosler is a bit better for longer (over 300 yards) is about the only downside to 300 grain Partitions. I have both but intend to only use the 300's for dangerous critters.
The bullet I used on my last trip to Africa was the Nosler 300 grain partition. I have used the Sierra 270's and 250's as well, not nearly as accurate.

I have since discovered the Speer 285 grain... Unfortunately they are hard to find.

The Speer 285 has been by far the most accurate bullet i have ever tried in my 375. I wish they made it in a solid!
I have two 270 grainers that hit to exactly the same point of impact.

--Hornady 270 grain
--Barnes 270 grain TSX

My thoughts are to use the Hornady for everything up through elk/moose, and the Barnes for mean-and-nasty critters.
To answer OP's question, I'd say 270 Hornadys, but I'm currently focused (obsessed?) with trying to get 235 Speers... loaded sub-max with Re-15... to work in my Ruger 1-H.
Originally Posted by fremont
To answer OP's question, I'd say 270 Hornadys, but I'm currently focused (obsessed?) with trying to get 235 Speers... loaded sub-max with Re-15... to work in my Ruger 1-H.

Hmmm... Sounds like I need to work on a load with the 270gr. interlock and see how they do. Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys.
Originally Posted by CRS
With a previous 375 I used Hornady 270gr SP. Only killed deer and one elk with them.

I sold my bigger than 400 caliber rifles and have a 375 in process. Should be done soon, so I just ordered some 270gr Hornady's and 270gr TSX's. Hoping to get both bullets to shoot to the same POI.

Figure I'll be all set.

This is my plan in my 375 Ruger, I tried a few 300's and they seemed to up the recoil a notch.
Rive used both the 270 & 300 grain TSX in Africa on multiple species. Both are very impressive on game. Hard to tell any difference. Shoot which ever one is available and accurate. I've been using the 300 recently because buffalo are on the menu. I plan to use the same on Afognak brownies.
I have only shot two elk and one bear with the Nosler 260 ptn but it did the job very well. Full penetration and good expansion, with good accuracy. I took one moose with a Federal factory 300 gr RN. It was by coincidence the farthest I have shot a moose, just over 300 yards. Full penetration and adequate expansion. That's it for my game experience. The Hornady 270's shoot accurately from my Ruger RSM too.
© 24hourcampfire