Home
Posted By: ol_mike Porting an H&R 444 marlin ? - 04/09/16
My biggest firearms to date have been 30-06 and a 7rm -bought a h&r 444 from a friend who needs the money for a new shotgun . Just helping a friend out kind of thing smile.

SO would porting this rifle calm the recoil down much ?

I plan on shooting some of the bitteroot 335's and maybe even try 405's .

Thanks for any help.
Mike
Posted By: 700xcr Re: Porting an H&R 444 marlin ? - 04/09/16
Porting would reduce muzzle lift during recoil. Note: It will be much more louder. A muzzle break will be more effective then just porting. If you are shooting a 7mm magnum already, I would install a good recoil pad first.
OK didn't know a lot about porting but having seen the small holes in a ported gun I figured a break would reduce recoil more .

I never fire a rifle without ear plugs anymore so muzzle breaks don't bother me .
This rifle will be used for -stand hunting- hogs at night [mostly] so plenty of time to push the earplugs in before a shot.
Posted By: 700xcr Re: Porting an H&R 444 marlin ? - 04/10/16
If you decide to install muzzle break, I have had good luck with a Gentry quiet muzzle break. It porting on break forces (directed) the muzzle blast and noise forward in front of the shooter. Break runs about $140.00.
Shoot it before you decide on porting or a brake.
For my $$ Vias is the only one,, though I am ignorant about the Gentry quiet - sounds alot like a Vias
If you hand load, the bullets on those aren't overly 'aerodynamic'... like shooting a big parachute...

in my Marlin, if I load it only at 1750 fps instead of 2250 fps with a 300 grain XTP.. I give up about 10 to 15 yrds point blank range ( which is compensated by two clicks up on the scope's elevation), but reduce recoil by half...

many 44 cal bullets are made for 44 Rem Mag speeds anyway and actually many will perform better at those speeds than higher MV the 444 is capable of.....

just passing on experiences learned on one, that I bought new in 1981 and still own and shoot...
I'm going to give it a trigger job this week -thing must be nearly 10 lbs. then shoot it some.

I did a google 24hr campfire search and saw that info John also your plinking load .

My shots will be close and the main thing is to put a hog down on the spot. It's truly like a jungle here -I have to bush-hog shooting lanes 2-3 times a year to be able to shoot.
© 24hourcampfire