Home
Want to put a scope on a Mark X 458 Win mag I just purchased. I have an older Weaver k3 with a dot in excellant condition. Will this scope hold up to a 458 Mags recoil?
One way to find out.....
it should work fine.
Will give it a try today. wink
Ken, did the old Weaver hold up? Considering the cartridge the scope can bench rest better than the shoulder. smile

I had a friend who bought one and had me develop loads for him, like he did on all of his new toys. I feel the big shove by the 458 won't hurt a scope like the 300 mags more violent recoil might.

I used a Leupold 1.5x4 on my Old Win pre 64 375 H&H. Clear and durable.
The old steel tube Weavers were, and still are, tough scopes but if your 3x Weaver either does not hold up ( which I doubt) or you want something a little newer the Leupold 2.5 x compact most certainly is tough enough. I have had one on my 458 MkX for over 30 years !
Buy a leupold Alaskan 2.5x scope online
Originally Posted by 458Win
The old steel tube Weavers were, and still are, tough scopes but if your 3x Weaver either does not hold up ( which I doubt) or you want something a little newer the Leupold 2.5 x compact most certainly is tough enough. I have had one on my 458 MkX for over 30 years !

I second what Phil said. I've had quite a few old Weavers and never had a issue with them holding up.

I'm mounting a light eight 2.5x Leupold on my 416, which I consider about the same recoil class.

The only issue I've had with the old Weavers was sighting them in. But after they're sighted in they stay. At least that's my experience.
Originally Posted by kenster99
Want to put a scope on a Mark X 458 Win mag I just purchased. I have an older Weaver k3 with a dot in excellant condition. Will this scope hold up to a 458 Mags recoil?

Though certainly not a 458 WM, I've had an old steel tubed Weaver 3X mounted on a custom '98 Mauser in 358 Norma Mag for a couple years now, it handles the 250 gr Partitions at a little over 2800 fps with aplomb so far.

I think your choice would be perfect on a 458 WM, especially in a set of good QD rings.
© 24hourcampfire