Home
Posted By: whelennut Do yourself a favor - 05/26/16
Build a shooting bench so that you can shoot standing up.
I think Bob Hagel started this but it works great for any hard kickers.
I use it for 12 gauge slug guns, belted magnums
and muzzleloaders.
whelennut
Posted By: Bugger Re: Do yourself a favor - 05/26/16
Good idea. I use shooting sticks. But a gun club I used to belong too had a stand up bench and it was the cat's meow.
Posted By: agazain Re: Do yourself a favor - 05/26/16
I just put two shooting seats together atop the range bench/table and set my sandbag and front rest on them. Of course, I'm 6'3" so it works for me.
Posted By: rogn Re: Do yourself a favor - 05/30/16
Im a well worn 6'3" and I built a standing bench about 15 years ago after hearing about them. Its the same shape and proportion as a standard bench but its shirt pocket high. Really eases the discomfort with muzzle loaders, big bores, shot guns and anything else that tends to hurt. I even use it for tuning benchrest rifles. I increased the stability by putting a screw ground anchor under it and putting downward tension on it with a ratchet strap. This way it remains moveable if needed. Im trying to figure out how to add photos but Im not smart enough. If anyone wouold like a pic please help. This is on a Mac.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Do yourself a favor - 05/30/16
Originally Posted by rogn
Im a well worn 6'3" and I built a standing bench about 15 years ago after hearing about them. Its the same shape and proportion as a standard bench but its shirt pocket high. Really eases the discomfort with muzzle loaders, big bores, shot guns and anything else that tends to hurt. I even use it for tuning benchrest rifles. I increased the stability by putting a screw ground anchor under it and putting downward tension on it with a ratchet strap. This way it remains moveable if needed. Im trying to figure out how to add photos but Im not smart enough. If anyone wouold like a pic please help. This is on a Mac.
PM me and I'll send you an email address and post them for you, if you would like.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Do yourself a favor - 05/30/16
Nothing fancy, but I keep a homemade portable standing bench at the farm house so I can check zeros. It's not solid like a traditional seated bench, but I can easily move it around and it closely matches my zeros for field positions shooting off-hand, kneeling and sitting.

[Linked Image]

I have a lightweight portable target stand that holds a cardboard FBI Q target backer and I stick it out to whatever distance I need. I use a compact laser to verify distance and there are fields around the house where you could shoot out to a maximum of just under 1,000 yards if you cared to do so.

[Linked Image]

Here's a three shot group from 100 yards off my standing bench. I'd expect my handloads from off a solid seated bench to be even better, but the standing bench works.

[Linked Image]

Later smile
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Do yourself a favor - 06/27/16
Great idea, I need to build me one of those!
© 24hourcampfire