Home
Posted By: BH63 DGR - 08/24/16
400 gr or greater, 2000 fps or greater, 4000 ft/lbs or greater - any questions?

Name the legendary PH who has repeatedly stated this in his books (minus any questions)

BH63
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DGR - 08/24/16
Capstick?
Posted By: mudhen Re: DGR - 08/24/16
Capstick was mostly a legend in his own mind...
Posted By: EdM Re: DGR - 08/24/16
Originally Posted by mudhen

grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DGR - 08/24/16

Regardless, he went and did more than my sorry ass has.
Posted By: mudhen Re: DGR - 08/24/16
That's pretty faint praise... smile
Posted By: Bugger Re: DGR - 08/25/16
I'd read Capstick any day over O'Conner.
Posted By: mudhen Re: DGR - 08/25/16
Capstick was an entertaining writer of fiction. O'Connor actually shot all of those rifles and animals that he wrote about. Capstick spent quite some time drifting around through safari camps, eating their food and drinking their booze, while he collected yarns from the bull sessions of real Professional Hunters. These he transformed into entertaining books about African hunting, featuring himself as the Great White Hunter. Few, if any, of the adventures he described were anything that he had experienced first-hand.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: DGR - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by Bugger
I'd read Capstick any day over O'Conner.

You must like Fairy Tales.
Posted By: EdM Re: DGR - 08/25/16
Originally Posted by gunner500

Regardless, he went and did more than my sorry ass has.

Dump the Mopars and you will find time. grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DGR - 08/25/16
If I sold that 70 hemi cuda and 69 hemi road runner I'd damn sure have the extra greenery to burn over there and elsewhere. laugh
Posted By: BH63 Re: DGR - 08/26/16
Actually the PH is Tony Sanchez Arino. The rifles he most liked for DG are the .416 Rigby and the .500 Jeffery. He also liked the .375 HH and the .300 HH.

I personally loved reading PHC even though he has many critics on hunting forums.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: DGR - 08/26/16
"Love" the Capstick bashing. While there is no doubt he did borrow and or embellish, there is factual data he held a PH license and guided for some well-known writers, was a cropping officer etc a lot of his stuff was based on his experience.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DGR - 08/26/16
Originally Posted by jorgeI
"Love" the Capstick bashing. While there is no doubt he did borrow and or embellish, there is factual data he held a PH license and guided for some well-known writers, was a cropping officer etc a lot of his stuff was based on his experience.

I don't understand the bashing either Jorge, first of all the guy was a stock broker or banker first, already light years ahead of me in intelligence, then spent decades in Africa, damn, how cool would that be? cool
Posted By: jorgeI Re: DGR - 08/26/16
AS well as a lot of time in South America when he worked for Winchester Travel and later his own outfitting business, not to mention the ENTIRE Safari business owes their survival to him.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: DGR - 08/26/16

Exactly! No one bashed Capstock to my knowledge until he passed away.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: DGR - 08/27/16
Yup, Jorge and JWP, I'll never trash one that has forgot more about something I'm desperately trying to learn. crazy
Posted By: Paladin Re: DGR - 08/27/16

I've never understood the Capstick bashing either. He was a good writer, quite entertaining, and I've enjoyed his books regardless of whether or not he was retelling someone else's story or telling his own.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: DGR - 09/02/16
His books are eminently entertaining, and that is all I require from him.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: DGR - 09/03/16
I got a fresh stack of 5 Capstick books just waiting to get read. Oh and another one from Ruark.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: DGR - 09/08/16
Originally Posted by BH63
Actually the PH is Tony Sanchez Arino. The rifles he most liked for DG are the .416 Rigby and the .500 Jeffery. He also liked the .375 HH and the .300 HH.

He's got the right formula. Given the options available now I'd add premium bullets (both softs and solids as appropriate) and at least 0.3 sectional density. Meet those requirements, and you've got a great DGR. At least for my recoil tolerance I'm not inclined to exceed them by much - I doubt I'll ever go heavier than my 1886 shooting a 425gr Northfork solid at 2050 ft/s. That's enough (and all the gun can take).
© 24hourcampfire