Home
What are your opinions / experiences with 270 grain Winchester Fail Safe ammunition in 375 H&H?
SBRMIKE,
The Black Talon/Fail Safe ammo performed admirably on everything from Bushbuck to Eland in my .338 Win Mag.

They expand but then penetrate like a solid. They are also very accurate.
Originally Posted by crshelton
SBRMIKE,
The Black Talon/Fail Safe ammo performed admirably on everything from Bushbuck to Eland in my .338 Win Mag.

They expand but then penetrate like a solid. They are also very accurate.

My experience as well !
I had great results from both the 230-grain .338 on a bull moose in Alaska and the 300-grain .375 on a Cape buffalo. Great bullets for bigger stuff!
Have only used 180gr. ones out of my '06, but have had outstanding results on larger game. These were factory, labled as deep penetrator. That they are!
I only used the 230 338. Great load. Kept me from reloading the 338 for years. I wish Winchester still made the Failsafe. Of course I still have Barnes...
I've shot a single whitetail buck with the 270 grain .375 H&H load, and while it is not much of a "test", it worked pretty damn good.

The 5x5 buck unfortunately turned just as the trigger broke, resulting in a JeffO bullseye shot. The failsafe shed all 4 petals, and came to rest against the skin in front of the brisket. It didn't damage as much hind quarter meat as I feared it was going to, and put that buck on the ground INSTANTLY.
They have a smaller expanded diameter than the Barnes or some of the other Mono bullets. So far I have only used them on light game but they should be ideal for heavier animals Kudu or Elk size on up to Buffalo.

I have heard some people not getting good accuracy with them but my loads have all been acceptable at around an inch or slightly less.
I never could get them to group out of my 30/06. Gave up on them from then on.
© 24hourcampfire