Home
Posted By: gunzo Poor mans Lobster - 08/31/21
Thought I'd try it. Recipes or instructions all over the tube, so not hard to learn.

Thought my procedure & results were successful, but... Not for me. Not a huge fan of lobster anyway , so maybe why this left me cold.

Water, sugar, lemon juice & left over pulp in the rind, salt , all brought to a boil & 1" or so cubes of Cod or Halibut(Cod Here) dropped into the boil. Don't bother the cubes as they might break up. When they are done they float to the top. Remove & plate. Pour melted butter over the chunks & sprinkle with Old Bay, Tony Chatchere's, whatever.

Extra salt helped, maybe fresh fish might have helped?
Posted By: Lslite Re: Poor mans Lobster - 08/31/21
I've tried that on myself with fresh halibut,was not impressed and nothing like lobster.
Posted By: Judman Re: Poor mans Lobster - 08/31/21
Only “poor mans lobster “ I’ve heard of is sturgeon, and like the aforementioned, it’s nothing like lobster either
Posted By: kingston Re: Poor mans Lobster - 08/31/21
In coastal New England poor man's lobster is lobster.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Poor mans Lobster - 08/31/21
A friend used seven-up to boil in. Just poor mans boiled fish
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/01/21
No shame in eating well prepared fish. Just do that, instead of trying to name it something it isn't.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/01/21
Waste of good fish taco meat.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/01/21
Trust me, no fish is likely to get cooked that way again by me. Wife was baking filets with lemon & butter & I grabbed a piece to try the boiled thing I'd heard about. Yep, just boiled fish, so much better so many other ways.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/01/21
Batter and fry instead.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/01/21
Originally Posted by ironbender
Batter and deep fry instead.

The only proper way to fix fish.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/01/21
I just brought a bunch of Halibut home from Alaska and someone told me to try it. I don't think I could bring myself to do it after having it deep fried. Even had some baked that was amazing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/01/21
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by ironbender
Batter and deep fry instead.

The only proper way to fix fish.

So not true.
Posted By: kingston Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/01/21
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
I just brought a bunch of Halibut home from Alaska and someone told me to try it. I don't think I could bring myself to do it after having it deep fried. Even had some baked that was amazing.

Halibut is the fish of the gods. We served it at our wedding.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/02/21
Poor mans lobster is not bad.

You should use cheap fish however.

Otherwise...with the way good fish costs these days...you should just buy some lobster.

That cheap, poor quality torsk is the best for such a purpose.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/02/21
I thought monkfish was poor man’s lobster.

Anyway, I much prefer blue crab meat and scallops to lobster. Good shrimp too, come to think of it.
Posted By: pat8386 Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/02/21
In the Northeast Monk fish is known as poor man’s lobster. Halibut must be in season. Local grocery store has it on sale for $12.99 a pound which is much cheaper than it usually sells for.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/02/21
Eel Pout (Burbot) is what is known as poor man's lobster here. Cut the backstraps out, cube and boil. Dip in melted butter.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/02/21
Ya this ain't getting boiled.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/03/21
Here in Utah, they use striper or wiper meat for this, boiled in 7-Up. I think it's a waste of perfectly good fish. (Utah is not known for its cuisine.)
Posted By: Rob96 Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/04/21
Monk fish is what I know of as being poor man's lobster. Made it once broiled. Stank up the house like you wouldn't believe but it did taste good.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/05/21
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Halibut is the fish of the gods. We served it at our wedding.

Halibut is swimming tofu as far as I'm concerned. boring, flavorless meat that takes on the flavor of whatever you put it in.
it's only redeeming quality is that it freezes well. Give me rockfish or cod any day over halibut.
Posted By: Sig220 Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/07/21
I always thought a poor man's lobster was rock shrimp from the Gulf or crawfish.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Poor mans Lobster - 09/08/21
I've heard people call boiled panfish, like perch, "poor man's shrimp". Usually by people who don't care much for fish.
© 24hourcampfire