Home
Posted By: wabigoon "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 09/16/21
When I cook for company, I like to think I do what I'd call a thrasher's dinner.

Simple, but good food, and plenty of it.

Ham, roast beef, fried chicken, potatoes, gravy, a good vegetable side, and good bread.

What would you fix for a meal kike that?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 09/16/21
Whoa haven't heard that term probably since I was a kid.

Called pizza and beer night here behind the wire.

And no don't care if its kosher.🤣😂🤣

Originally Posted by wabigoon
When I cook for company, I like to think I do what I'd call a thrasher's dinner.

Simple, but good food, and plenty of it.

Ham, roast beef, fried chicken, potatoes, gravy, a good vegetable side, and good bread.

Add some homemade Peach or Apple Pie and a big jug of Sweet Tea and I’d be good to go ! 🤠
Posted By: hillestadj Re: "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 09/16/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Something kosher I guess
Posted By: flintlocke Re: "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 09/16/21
My deceased mother in law cooked for threshing crews during the depression...the meat offerings were limited to what was available, frequently pork steak and chops, but always, always...beans by the bucketful, gravy by the gallon, and plenty of starch to pour the gravy on, fresh baked bread daily. Around here, dessert was seldom baked stuff, most likely peaches, pears or apricots over bread slices, sometimes with a splash of cream. Very similar to logging camp food I enjoyed in the '60's, up on the Olympic Peninsula, only the logging outfits had professional cooks and bakers, and their job was to keep a steady crew, not worry about cost per meal.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 09/16/21
Any meal that doesn't have "plenty of it" is not a meal.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 09/16/21
That stuff you listed is soooooo heavy and totally unwoke.

Instead, you should have healthy food. Start with plates of tofu, alfalfa stems, bean sprouts, folded spinach leaves, kale, and sliced Brussel sprouts marinated in virgin olive oil. Dessert should be baked acorns with a few dribbles of organic honey. Your guests will thank you profusely for helping them to "eat healthy."

Trust me. grin

L.W.
When I was a kid, when we worked cattle or harvested wheat on my Great Grandparents Ranch, all we got were biscuits, red beans, bacon, and coffee. And an apple if you were lucky. 🤠

Her Dad was a old time Trail Cook on the old Chisum and Goodnight Loving Cattle Drives.

Probably what they had wasn’t much better, growing up.
Or much worse. 😬
Posted By: wabigoon Re: "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 09/16/21
Cattle drives, lumber camps, mines, all had to serve Good!, food to get, and keep good help.
Posted By: TheKid Re: "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 09/16/21
My great grandfathers both worked on thrashing crews, great great Grandad ran a thrashing crew with his own steam tractor and threshing machine. Part of the deal was always that whoever they were thrashing for had to feed the crew in the field. Meals ranged from fried pheasants once in Nebraska to a giant baked spotted gar out of the Washita river. I’m sure most of the time there were lots of beans and potatoes with cornbread.
Food and cheap whiskey in big quantities kept em running from what I remember. And lots of black coffee the next morning.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 09/18/21
My mom would be the one to ask.
When we lived on the farm she often had 5 or 6 teenaged
town kids living there all week. Sometimes a couple hired men
for lunch if the sawmill was running too.

Don't remember it, but I can only imagine the amount of food
she went through.

Just normal home cooked farmer food.
Cured or fresh pig, beef, chicken.
Potatoes, gravy(absodamlutly) tomatoes, cukes, squash, beans.
Whatever was growing, if not summer, then she had them canned.

And green onions as often as possible.
Posted By: erich Re: "A Thresher's Dinner'? - 10/06/21
I used to go to a Threshermens Breakfast during Threshermens Days in western MN., good food.

When I worked on an old saw mill in MN lunch for the crew was a chunk of Horse Cock, a loaf of bread, a big can of beans and a big can of peaches, they just got passed around the crew of four until all was gone then back to work.
© 24hourcampfire