Home
Posted By: wabigoon Oy$ters - 12/21/23
I bought a pint for 16 dollars.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Oy$ters - 12/22/23
Tuesday I bought a Quart of shucked murder points for $21.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Oy$ters - 12/23/23
My Daughter is fixing bacon wrapped Oysters for Christmas Eve dinner.

Should be interesting! Never had one wrapped in bacon, but sounds good!

Virgil B.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Oy$ters - 12/23/23
I like them breaded and deep-fried. I never could understand swallowing them raw/whole.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Oy$ters - 12/23/23
^^^^^
Me too
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Oy$ters - 12/23/23
Oyster wrapped in bacon grilled are good.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Oy$ters - 12/23/23
Love them, on the half shell with Mignonette or deep fried with cocktail sauce
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Oy$ters - 12/23/23
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
My Daughter is fixing bacon wrapped Oysters for Christmas Eve dinner.

Should be interesting! Never had one wrapped in bacon, but sounds good!

Virgil B.

Angels on horseback.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Oy$ters - 12/23/23
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Love them, on the half shell with Mignonette or deep fried with cocktail sauce

I just finished making an herb mignonette and cocktail sauce.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Oy$ters - 12/23/23
TPWD has closed most of the reefs in our bay system, oysters went to $140 a gallon and are staying there. I love em' but thats too rich for me.
Posted By: Rolly Re: Oy$ters - 12/23/23
I too love oysters, but how do you wrap something with so little physical structure in bacon? Never had an oyster like that but would enjoy a tutorial.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Oy$ters - 12/24/23
Thin bacon and run 2 skewers through parallel I leave space between them so they cook all around. They are better on a charcoal grill with wood for smoke than a gas grill. But are good on either. Small oysters are hard to wrap. When I worked offshore I bought a half gallon most of the time in the winter months on my way home.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Oy$ters - 12/24/23
I love bacon, but why overpower the delicate flavor of an oyster?
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Oy$ters - 12/24/23
Never understood seafood wrapped with bacon.
Just finished frying/eating a quart with family.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Oy$ters - 12/24/23
1/2 pint cost me $9.99 in my part of Iowa.
Will make them into oyster stew for myself tomorrow.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Oy$ters - 12/26/23
You gotta chew the raw oysters ...to get the whole experience !
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Oy$ters - 12/27/23
Oysters Rockefeller or fried are my favorite
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Oy$ters - 12/27/23
I love bacon, but why overpower the delicate flavor of an oyster?

This^^^^^

Originally Posted by cisco1
You gotta chew the raw oysters ...to get the whole experience !

And this^^^^^
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Oy$ters - 12/27/23
Christmas eve.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Oy$ters - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I like them breaded and deep-fried. I never could understand swallowing them raw/whole.

Eating them raw is probably your second best chance AP getting hepatitis. Might as well shoot up with a dirty needle. 😜
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Eating them raw is probably your second best chance AP getting hepatitis. Might as well shoot up with a dirty needle. 😜

I've literally eaten thousands of raw oysters. Never been sick.

Many years ago, I was mildly ill after eating several dozen, but it was probably the 2 gallons of beer I drank after the oysters.

Then again, I've never had covid or the flu, so maybe I'm just built different.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Oy$ters - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Many years ago, I was mildly ill after eating several dozen, but it was probably the 2 gallons of beer I drank after the oysters.

Never ate any, never will. You can have my share. 🤮
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Never ate any, never will. You can have my share. 🤮

I've eaten your share and many more. Will eat everyone's share again long before I'm gone.

Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Oy$ters - 12/27/23
Some people can’t eat oysters or shoot 1911s.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Oy$ters - 12/27/23
Put 30 on the grill last night just til they opened a little, popped them open added a little butter/lemon/horseradish mix to them and served them on the half shell. They were probably half cooked and delicious. The taste raw is definitely the strongest/best to me. Especially with a couple drops of Texas Pete.
Posted By: 44mc Re: Oy$ters - 12/27/23
been eating them raw for 55 years never been sick or had any family members sick. but we eat them the day we get them out of the river. I will not eat them from any were else
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: Oy$ters - 12/27/23
That is called Angels on Horseback. i used to go to a yacht club that made them, they were delicious..
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Oy$ters - 12/28/23
I been enjoying both oysters and clams on the half shell for the last 55 years.
Local seafood restaurant used to have ‘buck a shuck’ oysters and one had to wait to be seated. We went every week.
A bar I used to frequent back in the day would cook a big pot of Babbalucci (snails in seasoned tomato sauce) on Christmas Eve. Delicious. The old Italian guys had special silver or gold toothpicks to get the snails out of the shell.
Never got sick from any of it.

Did have Moules Provencale in Paris years ago and lost a day or two of the holiday.
Posted By: erich Re: Oy$ters - 12/29/23
Living on the WA coast id watch them harvest them while duck hunting and stop on the way home and pick up . half dozen. Pop them open and put them on the grill with a dab of butter and a squeeze of lemon.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Oy$ters - 12/29/23
Anything wrong with freezing them?
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: Oy$ters - 12/29/23
The only way I will eat frozen oysters is if I can't find fresh ones and then only for oyster stew.
Posted By: steveus Re: Oy$ters - 12/30/23
We had a bushel for Christmas. Shucked enough while still cold for oyster stew and steamed the rest just enough to make them easier to pop open.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Oy$ters - 12/31/23
Frozen oysters taste stronger than fresh even frozen right after they are shucked.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Oy$ters - 01/04/24
Just saw a cartoon where the restaurant owner has taken a waiter aside and is telling him, "I want you to stop calling the oysters 'the sea booger platter'".
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Oy$ters - 01/04/24
I'm a raw, lil squeeze of fresh lemon juice, lots of course cracked black pepper & a large glass of stout, kinda guy !
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: Oy$ters - 01/04/24
I been enjoying both oysters and clams on the half shell for the last 55 years.
Local seafood restaurant used to have ‘buck a shuck’ oysters and one had to wait to be seated. We went every week.
A bar I used to frequent back in the day would cook a big pot of Babbalucci (snails in seasoned tomato sauce) on Christmas Eve. Delicious. The old Italian guys had special silver or gold toothpicks to get the snails out of the shell.
Never got sick from any of it.

Did have Moules Provencale in Paris years ago and lost a day or two of the holiday.

I actually like clams on the half shell more than Oysters.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Oy$ters - 01/04/24
I have no problem with you guys eating filter eaters raw, but I would rather have them breaded and fried. I just don't like the slim feeling in my mouth. But I like hot sauce on them though.
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: Oy$ters - 01/05/24
Slimey is imagination, they behave like what they are. Whatb would you expect something that livers its life under water to be like?
Posted By: Sig220 Re: Oy$ters - 01/07/24
In college I used to buy a sack of oysters and my room mate and I would shell them and put them in a gallon pickle jar in our fridge. Thought I was in heaven with a constant supply of raw oysters. Ate them with a little Heinz 57 and crackers and never went hungry! Of course, today you would have to have a small fortune to buy and eat them like that anymore (in that quantity). Just another facet of going to LSU that made a indelible memory!

I still eat them but usually they are already shelled by the half pint and last 2 snacks!
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Oy$ters - 01/07/24
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
Slimey is imagination, they behave like what they are. Whatb would you expect something that livers its life under water to be like?

It's not like I haven't tried it, a couple of times in fact. I don't like Sushi either. If it's not a desperate survival situation, raw things are always cooking to at least medium rare.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Oy$ters - 01/08/24
A good salty oyster is hard to beat in the winter. The only regret I have about retiring is that I don't have access to buying good oysters on my way home from work.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Oy$ters - 01/08/24
Having a cup of oyster soup now.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Oy$ters - 01/09/24
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Originally Posted by oldtimr1

It's not like I haven't tried it, a couple of times in fact. I don't like Sushi either. If it's not a desperate survival situation, raw things are always cooking to at least medium rare.

The domestication of fire was a wonderful thing.
Posted By: pal Re: Oy$ters - 01/10/24

While I enjoy them raw, I too prefer them deep fried.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Oy$ters - 01/10/24
I've seen clams swim.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Oy$ters - 01/10/24
Just finished a pint deep fried for lunch
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: Oy$ters - 01/10/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've seen clams swim.
They don't swim, they squirt themselved along the bottom.
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: Oy$ters - 01/10/24
Sadly I remember when we could buy a bushell of oysters form $12,00 and a burlap sach of clams for $10.00 and we could get what were called bar shrimp at the time it the local watering holes for free. Bar Shrimp were jumbo shrimp steamed in beer and old bay seasoning.
I think they will be hard to find after Christmas.
Enjoying a hot cup now.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Oy$ters - 01/14/24
Love 'em on the half shell. Just before I went to 'Nam, four of us watched the Super Bowl and split a burlap bag of oysters, five pounds of shrimp, and a case of beer. I think there were 13 dozen oysters in that bag. We shucked 'em and slurped 'em like there was no tomorrow. (And going to 'Nam as FACs there might not be many, either!)

Haven't been able to pig out on 'em that way since, especially when they got to be upwards of $2 an oyster most places.

Have also waded in the Indian River of Florida for clams. Keep one extra hard one as an anvil and bang the rest to crack 'em open. Slurp 'em right out of the river.

Never got sick from any of it. That, however, was long enough ago that bay pollution wasn't as bad as now.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Oy$ters - 01/15/24
When we’d go to the Cup races at Bristol would stop for a couple to-go to buckets of deep-fried Oysters at a sea food restaurant just outside of Wytheville VA. They were delicious. Maybe someone who lives in the area knows the restaurant I’m talking about.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Oy$ters - 01/21/24
Breaded and fried!
© 24hourcampfire