Home
Posted By: wabigoon Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
What's the deal? Any good?
Posted By: Craigster Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Let us know.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What's the deal? Any good?
You Yankees probably would just stuff em up your ass, but they're for eating. Preferably at a baseball game, accompanied by a cheap beer.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
I'd give them a try.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Tried them a couple of times, seemed kinda slimey to me. Must be an acquired taste, a regional thing.
Posted By: killerv Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Please tell me you are joking?!

Can't do the can stuff, gotta boil green ones yourself. I just fill up a fish/turkey cooker, it'll hold 1/4 bushel. Some salt and creole seasoning and let it boil away for several hours. They've double in price the last couple years. Used to get a bushel for 30 bucks, now its 60.

Freeze them in quart freezer bags, warm them up and enjoy as needed.
Posted By: Brokenarrow Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Down South you can't go two blocks without seeing a "boiled peanuts" sign and most people down there love them. I guess it's an acquired taste, one which I never acquired. I prefer mine honey roasted, not boiled and slimy.
Posted By: killerv Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by Brokenarrow
Down South you can't go two blocks without seeing a "boiled peanuts" sign and most people down there love them. I guess it's an acquired taste, one which I never acquired. I prefer mine honey roasted, not boiled and slimy.

If they are slimy they either came out of can or had been cooked, cooled, reheated multiple times.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
They're gross. sick And they are big in my neck of the woods.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
No thanks
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Not really a thing in my neck of the woods but every time I head south I pick up some. We go to Cherokee NC a few times a year fishing. I eat a pile of them while I'm there. I'd just as soon sit on the bank and eat peanuts as I would fish.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Done properly with the right amount of salt, it is like manna from Heaven
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
I've had them in down in SE VA. People seem to really like them but they are not for me. I'll take Virginia Diner roasted peanuts every time
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Had em once

That was enough
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by Dude270
I've had them in down in SE VA. People seem to really like them but they are not for me. I'll take Virginia Diner roasted peanuts every time
Virginia diner is tha bombšŸ‘
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/27/24
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Virginia diner is tha bombšŸ‘

Gotta get the big can!
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/27/24
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
They're gross. sick And they are big in my neck of the woods.

Yep. Boiled peanuts aren't called "Snot in a Shell" for nuthin'. grin

L.W.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/27/24
Va Diner peanuts are great too. Friend of mine has access to a farm in Wakefield right down the road from the VA Diner. I make it a point to eat and get peanuts every time I'm down there.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/27/24
Originally Posted by killerv

If they are slimy they either came out of can or had been cooked, cooled, reheated multiple times.

Sounds like he had some gas station boiled peanuts that sat for a day.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/27/24
yep
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/27/24
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by killerv

Sounds like he had some gas station boiled peanuts that sat for a day.

Yes.

They can be hit and miss..

Chanā€™drerishia fills the crock pot in morning when her shift startsā€¦ they cook all dayā€¦
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/27/24
Used to be an old feller that sat on the stop light of the small town in work inā€¦

Kinda rough looking. Overalls.. no shirtā€¦flip flopsā€¦ beat up ford truckā€¦

No telling how long they had been setting..

Dont think he even put them on iceā€¦ just a cooler..

Boiled the peanuts with sliced jalepenosā€¦

$5/ qt bag.

Woo weeee!

They were goodā€¦

#YOLO
Posted By: Sweets Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 01/31/24
I can up a dozen or so jars a year. I add 2 Chipotle peppers and 5 cloves of garlic to each quart. Yum! They are not a thing up here so when I bring them out for get together, its always interesting. Most don't like them. More for mešŸ˜
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 02/01/24
Really like me some boiled peanuts. Hot and fresh are best, but chilled will do. The supermarket canned ones are OK, but not near as good as fresh and hot.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 02/01/24
They are like grits. If you have had them prepared properly you likely don't think they are much good.
If the only chili I ever ate was Hormel then I would think much of it.
Posted By: llc2 Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 02/01/24
anyone that would eat that slop would suck a $&ck and like it
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 02/02/24
Originally Posted by llc2
anyone that would eat that slop would suck a $&ck and like it

Sock puppet much?
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 02/02/24
Virginia Diner is the bomb diggity. I love their buffet.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 02/04/24
Boiled peanuts are one of those foods that you either love or despise, properly prepared the are good but it takes a certain set of conditions that rarely show up this day and time. Let me preach on it. The nut must be freshly dug and washed of most of the dirt, it needs to be filled out and ready for drying but not allowed to sit in the sun and let the hull get hard or the nut inside to start rattling around . Most peanut stands selling in roadside sheds miss this point and sell a nut that got to dry before cooking .so go pull yourself a few hills that are ready for harvest or run behind the digger and pick a bucket full and wash the dirt off grab the turkey cooker and dump in the goober fill near to 5he top with water ,bring to a hard boil and then slow to a medium boil ,you want to see some movement in the water,not a simmer .get a 1 pound box of salt dump most of it in and let them cook for 45 min to an hour. Start diping some out after 45 min and sample them for doneness dip out and start eating while still warm,a big coke cola optional
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 02/04/24
Green peanuts
Boil for at least three hours + with a cup of salt.
After they reach desired taste/consistency, let them seep - overnight is best.
Drain and enjoy.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 02/04/24
I ain't waiting 3 hours for them to cook , they will be mushy and soak up way to much salt
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Boiled Peanuts? - 02/04/24
Tried them one time. Think it was at a truck stop in Tennessee. Don't remember how much but had heard of them and wanted to try them. Good stuff!
© 24hourcampfire