Home
We are doing one up tonight to take to a potluck at our church tomorrow.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Someone else has already cooked the nose. Stay tuned for some of the most delicious eating you have ever had.

Ted
Odd, it looks good.
Didn't know people did those like that. Cajuns like to cook hog heads.
Here’s an interesting article from The Arctic Kitchen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/tahltan-moose-head-arctic-kitchen-1.5929523

Ours just went in the oven. Six hours or so at 350F should be just about right.

We’ll check it in two hours, and every hour after that. smile

Ted
That's very cool Ted!

I have killed many moose and that never, ever crossed my mind. However I do eat Walleye and Pike Cheeks, so I am sure you will get some tender morsels out of that, I may recommend cooking the antlers at low heat for a very long time hehehe

I am pretty sure the Indians of Canada have been doing just that your millennia.

Seriously, can you post a picture of it finished?

Cheers ~
Originally Posted by KillerBee
That's very cool Ted!

I have killed many moose and that never, ever crossed my mind. However I do eat Walleye and Pike Cheeks, so I am sure you will get some tender morsels out of that, I may recommend cooking the antlers at low heat for a very long time hehehe

I am pretty sure the Indians of Canada have been doing just that your millennia.

Seriously, can you post a picture of it finished?

Cheers ~

We cut the jaw short enough to fit it all into the roasting pan. Set that piece in there with the head. Lots of salt and pepper, covered with tinfoil, added half an inch of water into the roast pan, then into the oven at 6:30 this morning. Out six hours later for the potlatch.

Didn’t last long. Not a speck left over. 😄

Ted
hahaha

Wild, man and I must say the most interesting picture I have ever seen on any outdoor cooking thread!

cool
Try it with your next moose. I was very skeptical for several years, then had one at a wedding feast. Never looked back.

We have no walleye up here, but lake trout heads rarely get left behind.

Ted
My instinct tells me it tasted like roasted shanks.
T or F?
Ted

For Excellence in Creativity, and your Immaculate Exceptionalism, in the "Slow Roasting" category.

I would like to award you with The Highly Coveted "James Beard Foundation AWARD", for being "A Head Above" all other cooks on 24 Hour Campfire.

Job well done Sir!

We done deer heads wrapped in foil on a fire. Always great to pick meat off.
Y'all can have my share
Never been that hungry, yet!
If you do not want to roast the whole moose head, you can enjoy a delicious dish of Moose Nose Soup. Andrew knows how to make it right. He lives in the Northwest Territory and hunts moose each Fall.

Enjoy.

L.W.
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Never been that hungry, yet!

We have roasted several of them over the years, Pat. Always good!

If you had tasted it yesterday, I’ll bet you would have gone back for more. 😄

Ted
I bet it’s good with catsup and Busch. Or Chik Fil A sauce in a pinch
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I bet it’s good with catsup and Busch. Or Chik Fil A sauce in a pinch
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
If you do not want to roast the whole moose head, you can enjoy a delicious dish of Moose Nose Soup. Andrew knows how to make it right. He lives in the Northwest Territory and hunts moose each Fall.

Enjoy.

L.W.

I'm thinking that when you are boiling it you do not have to add salt, since the snot is salty enough to season the water.

Notice he said he shot all of those moose in a couple of years? Gotta love Canada's quota system for the natives.

It's called The 12/24/7 conservation system. When you are indigenous, you get a card that permits you to kill moose, deer, and everything else 12 months a year 24/7.

Sad.
This is a very cool thread, thank you for sharing.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Didn't know people did those like that. Cajuns like to cook hog heads.

Everything but the brains goes into scrapple.
The brains get fried with eggs for breakfast.
© 24hourcampfire