Home
I'm looking for something like a 14 cup (doesn't have to be 14 cup) percolator and am looking for suggestions. I see a GSI stainless steel (I want stainless steel) 14 cup one that looks exactly like Cabelas signature camp percolator. In any event the GSI is made in China, I'm just guessing, but I'd figure the Cabelas one is the exact same pot just with Cabelas on the side.

Anyone know of a stainless steel camp percolator at about 10 - 15 cup capacity? It needs to have a wire for hanging over a fire. I really want a "Made in USA" one if they're out there, but I couldn't find one. Any opinions or info? Thanks!
Have you ever used a big old granite coffee pot? Just throw in a couple hands full of coffee, and fill 3/4 with water. Bring to a hard boil. Pour some cold water down the spout to clean grounds from it and in the center of the pot to settle grounds. Pour everyone a cup and refill the pot with water and do it again. Good luck.
croldfort hit the "nail on the head". I use an enamel pot. Best "camp coffee" you could ever drink!
Virgil B.
do you want good coffee or good camp coffee? laugh

camp coffee is usually lousy to okay,it's the location that makes camp coffee good.
I use and old metal coffee can, a pair of gloves to do the same thing, not fancy. I leave the cans in a tree when I'm done and don't have to carry it back.
I should have specified, I want good coffee smile Really though, that'd work I guess, what I've always refered to ask "cowboy coffee", but I camp with some guys that would choke on the thought of grounds getting into their cups.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Get a french press. Doesn't meet the 14 cup criteria, but does deliver good coffee.
Thanks. I've got a small french press you just reminded me about so I'm taking it this weekend. I'm going to buy the 14 cup percolator at some point so three or four of us can get our coffee fix. We'll see how it works I guess.
I believe "Open Country" products are made in Wisconsin. I'm fairly confident the metals in their products come from there. Anyways, here's a link and you can at least check out there camp coffee pots (with the wire handle).

http://www.opencountrycampware.com/
I resent the indication that my "camp/cowboy coffee" is not "good" coffee. I would compare it with any ones coffee. And no grounds in our cups, either. The secret is to wash out the spout with cold water, grounds float into there and onto the sides when boiling. Then pour the cold water in the center of the pot to settle the grounds. This works. Cowboys didn't like grounds in their cups and I don't either. My cousin questioned this one tine and held a paper towel over his cup while I poured through it. No grounds in the towel. Another secret is lots of coffee in the pot. Hang/sit over the hottest part of the fire. Bring to a rolling boil as soon as possible and serve. Refill the pot with water, no more coffee, and sit/hang to a slightly cooler fire. Serve the second cups, add more water, no more coffee, sit on the warm side for rest of the day. Try it on your stove at home. Good luck.
I have some of their game processing and cooking stuff. All good and made in the good ole USA. However, mostly aluminum, which does not bother me because it's a much better heat conductor and easier to clean.
croldfort, you're a better coffee maker than me. I can't help but get grounds in almost any coffee I make.
Hey,

I recently was in Sportsmans Warehouse and they had many,many percolators to choose from. You might want to see if there is one near you or call and see if they carry what you are looking for.
I think the percolator was probably invented by the tea industry to sabotage the popularity of coffee by making it taste so bad no one would want to drink it.
Please, if you want to learn something, try my method on your stove top at home with a coffee pot or with any pan with a lid, preferably one with a pour slip on the side and pour yourself a cup after you pour in the cold water to settle the grounds.

IMO, the only thing worse than percolator coffee is no coffee.
Originally Posted by Craigster

Well, there is instant.
two words: French press
Any time you put grounds in boiling water, you generally impart a nasty bitter taste to the coffee, especially if it takes awhile for the water to reach a boil. If you're making Greek or Turkish coffee, the bitterness is offset by the large amount of sugar.

Some folks are picky about coffee, some aren't. But I'd put the perkolator and cowboy coffee low down on the list of ways to make coffee.
I won't use a percolator for coffee. Water temperatures above about 190 tend to have a negative effect on coffee flavor.

I keep temps around 190, and use a French Press.
Fellas

I got to tell you a camp coffee in a blue enamel pot does not need to boil. Watch the pot and you will see convection currents in the water. The coffee grounds circulate and lift the pot off the fire so it does not boil. Pour in the cup of cold water to settle the grounds, or stop convection currents, and leave the pot far enough away from the fire so it just stays warm...

I have cooked a lot over open fires and you do not need to heat above a simmer if you keep paying attention. A griddle over coals will alow oatmeal to cook like your momma made when you simmer it in a pot on the griddle.

Randy
If you are a horse packer keep your eyes open for pots that are rectangular (with rounded corners). They carry better in pack boxes than the standard round pots do. I think Cabelas have had them in the past, possibly still do.
Lehmans

SS coffee pot with bail for fire place use and it will make enough for two hung over campers to get sober enough to hunt. grin
IF you are worried about or do not like grounds in your coffee.... Grab a box of the el-cheapo brown coffee filters, fold them in half and use a hole-punch at the bottom so you can get them over the stem in the basket of your coffee pot.

Cold water to settle the grounds is what we have always done. Have heard of a few egg shells doing the same thing? Don't know if that one is an old wives tale or not.
Originally Posted by acesandeights
I'm looking for something like a 14 cup (doesn't have to be 14 cup) percolator and am looking for suggestions. I see a GSI stainless steel (I want stainless steel) 14 cup one that looks exactly like Cabelas signature camp percolator. In any event the GSI is made in China, I'm just guessing, but I'd figure the Cabelas one is the exact same pot just with Cabelas on the side.

Anyone know of a stainless steel camp percolator at about 10 - 15 cup capacity? It needs to have a wire for hanging over a fire. I really want a "Made in USA" one if they're out there, but I couldn't find one. Any opinions or info? Thanks!

Get ahold of EvilTwin. He has a place to buy good coffee pots very reasonably.
Originally Posted by sse

Well, there is instant.

sse that is like eating margarine....eeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!! grin
The cabelas stainless coffee pots work great. Bought one for the Boy Scout Troop way back a handful of years ago, still operating as expected. Makes great coffee, a few sizes to choose from, this is the 5 liter size. Bought a smaller size for the boys and I camping/at camp, always goes with us. They run them on sale for a decent price. Have a hangar for over a fire and does well.
i agree with medicman. enamel pot is all i use while hunting/camping. i've had the same pot since 1974.
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by sse

Well, there is instant.

sse that is like eating margarine....eeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!! grin

You know that's not true. Sanka anyone?
The secret to good boiled coffee is to NOT pour it.....dip it out of the can. That's why you use an open top "pot" that will allow a cup to reach inside.

The suggestion of dropping egg shells into the pot to settle the grounds DOES work.....even better than cold water as it doesn't cool off the coffee. Save your shells when cooking breakfast and threaten to kill anyone who picks up the pot and pours.....the grounds will stir up and never settle again!!!
© 24hourcampfire