Home
Posted By: sse Need Corn Beef & Cabbage Recipe - 02/25/10
I've never made this, but I want to. So, if anybody does this annually around this time of year, I'd be interested in the recipe and method. Thanks.
Put corned beef in bottom of roasting pan, place quarters of cabbage, carrots and potatos on top of it. Couple of cups of water in the bottom. Bake it covered at 350 until desired tenderness.

Basically cook it like a pot roast.
I'd put the cabbage and potatoes in the water after the corned beef is mostly done or else the cabbage will turn to water on you and the potatoes will be very soft and mushy.
Were it me I would use a slow cooker or maybe even a crock pot. Sorry Sam!

From the start--vegetables excluding cabbage (carrots, whole red potatoes, onions, celery) on the bottom of the CP with the corned beef on top. Add a little chicken stock, mustard seed, bay leaf, and whole peppercorns. Cook on low until fork tender. Remove corned beef and finish off in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. This provides a slight crusty outside. At this point, add cabbage to crock pot.

Server in deep dish bowls with a side of fresh whipping cream/ horseradish chutney.
I just cook it in water following the directions on the package and use the spice packet that comes with it - gets some of the brine out. Then in the oven at 300 or so to dry it out a bit, don't have a time so poke it with your finger until it feels firm enough. Veggies cooked separately (but together) so they maintain their own flavor.

But I don't think any reasonable way to cook it is wrong. I always grab an extra or three for the freezer while they're on sale. DON'T overcook the cabbage!
Originally Posted by byc
Were it me I would use a slow cooker or maybe even a crock pot. Sorry Sam!

From the start--vegetables excluding cabbage (carrots, whole red potatoes, onions, celery) on the bottom of the CP with the corned beef on top. Add a little chicken stock, mustard seed, bay leaf, and whole peppercorns. Cook on low until fork tender. Remove corned beef and finish off in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. This provides a slight crusty outside. At this point, add cabbage to crock pot.

Server in deep dish bowls with a side of fresh whipping cream/ horseradish chutney.

Never felt the need of a slow cooker, but those that are cooking challenged should feel free to use them. shocked

but seriously, I cook the corned beef separately from the cabbage (and other veggies if so desired)
I drain the cooking liquid from the corned beef, and use that liquid to boil the shredded cabbage. It only takes about 8 or 9 min to do the cabbage.
I'm not sure what to do...! I wanna have it come out like I've been making it for years! Might have to just default to elk's advice... crazy
I guess it just proves there's more than one way to skin a Democrap err I mean cat.
I put the corned beef on a roasting pan with the fat side up then season with coarse sea salt, coarse black pepper and a [bleep] load of fresh chopped garlic. I roast that at 425-450 (depending on whether you have a conventional or convection oven) about 40 minutes until the fat starts to brown. I want it nice and gold. No burnt spots on the fat.
From there I put it in a pot of brine that I start at the same time I begin roasting the meat. I use an 8 quart stock pot and fill it about 60% so there is room for the beef. For my brine I use light salt and I make a couple of seasoning pouches from drip coffee filters filled with pickling spice. (don't pak them tightly you want the water to flow through the spice) Take some plastic wrap and pull it like you are stretching toffee. Then use the plastic to tie the top of the filter so you have a pouch of spice.
I bring my stock to a boil then turn it to a simmer before I add the meat. I never allow the pot to boil again. The meat takes about 2 hours in the pot for a flat.
Once it's out I add taters and give them about ten minutes before I add the carrots and a few more minutes before I add the cabbage. This way all of the veggies come out at the same time.
Hopefully you have some home made rye bread and some left over sour kraut from last fall for sandwiches.
Add spices, wine and brown sugar to a pot of water and boil roast,add taters,carrots and cabbage last hour of cooking
Originally Posted by Stetson
I guess it just proves there's more than one way to skin a Democrap err I mean cat.
I put the corned beef on a roasting pan with the fat side up then season with coarse sea salt, coarse black pepper and a [bleep] load of fresh chopped garlic. I roast that at 425-450 (depending on whether you have a conventional or convection oven) about 40 minutes until the fat starts to brown. I want it nice and gold. No burnt spots on the fat.
From there I put it in a pot of brine that I start at the same time I begin roasting the meat. I use an 8 quart stock pot and fill it about 60% so there is room for the beef. For my brine I use light salt and I make a couple of seasoning pouches from drip coffee filters filled with pickling spice. (don't pak them tightly you want the water to flow through the spice) Take some plastic wrap and pull it like you are stretching toffee. Then use the plastic to tie the top of the filter so you have a pouch of spice.
I bring my stock to a boil then turn it to a simmer before I add the meat. I never allow the pot to boil again. The meat takes about 2 hours in the pot for a flat.
Once it's out I add taters and give them about ten minutes before I add the carrots and a few more minutes before I add the cabbage. This way all of the veggies come out at the same time.
Hopefully you have some home made rye bread and some left over sour kraut from last fall for sandwiches.

sse go with Stetson's version! I got me a new method too! smile Thanks Stetson!
Whatever---always a shame when a stubborn old dog can't learn new tricks. cry

Just like anything else a slow cooker has its place in ones life, which is consumed by its daily events.

As for your reference to being challenged by cooking. I'm up to the Pepsi challenge any day at anytime. Name the place.

Throwdown! cool

Stetson---why don't you come and watch? You might just learn something. laugh
Originally Posted by byc

Stetson---why don't you come and watch? You might just learn something. laugh

I'm sure I could learn a lot from Sam. wink
sse go with Stetson's version! I got me a new method too!

Not sure I wanna go through all those gyrations...Its supposed to be easy.
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

sse go with Stetson's version! I got me a new method too! smile Thanks Stetson!

Give it a try. There's really not all that much to it. Season, roast, toss it in a pot, simmer, done.
Tying the seasoning pouches takes about 30 seconds. The only tricky part if you can really call it that is staggering the timing on the veg so every thing comes out done at the same time with out over cooking.
I'm sure every one elses method works fine as well as long as you skip the margerine. grin
Is any one corning their own beef?
OK, buddy here's my last years recipe. I do corned beef every year. The only thing that is the same from year to year is the Irish Whiskey and Dark Beer.

My wife got a large slow cooker for Christmas last year. I decided to do Saint Patty's Day with it.

I halved some small red potatoes, large baby carrots, and a large onion cut in 1/8's. I laid them in the bottom of the slow cooker. The first bottle of beer of the day went in next. The Kretchmier corned beef, fat side up, was then placed on top of the veggies. Seasoning from the rinsed out packet, allspice, peppercorn, salt and pepper, then enough beef broth to just verily cover it. Cooked on high for two hours, then turned to low for five hours. One head of cabbage, cut into quarters, was added next and the heat back on high for two more hours. Total cooking time is 9 hrs. Let the corned beef rest for 1/2 hr before slicing.

This is so good and you have a month to practice. The leftover Rubin sands are almost better than the roast. Good luck.

Originally Posted by croldfort
OK, buddy here's my last years recipe. I do corned beef every year. The only thing that is the same from year to year is the Irish Whiskey and Dark Beer.

My wife got a large slow cooker for Christmas last year. I decided to do Saint Patty's Day with it.

I halved some small red potatoes, large baby carrots, and a large onion cut in 1/8's. I laid them in the bottom of the slow cooker. The first bottle of beer of the day went in next. The Kretchmier corned beef, fat side up, was then placed on top of the veggies. Seasoning from the rinsed out packet, allspice, peppercorn, salt and pepper, then enough beef broth to just verily cover it. Cooked on high for two hours, then turned to low for five hours. One head of cabbage, cut into quarters, was added next and the heat back on high for two more hours. Total cooking time is 9 hrs. Let the corned beef rest for 1/2 hr before slicing.

This is so good and you have a month to practice. The leftover Rubin sands are almost better than the roast. Good luck.

Yup---I've done it all ways and this works as well as any. Especially, if you want to throw it all in there before work and come home to dinner served. BTW today's slow cookers are not yesterdays crock pots. They are like an indoor mini ceramic cooker. The one I got for Christmas was an All-Clad and it rocks...I view it as a clay oven that will slow roast as well as stew.
The New England Boiled Dinner version uses a ham and sausage so... When I make a boiled dinner, I buy the best corned beef I can. I pat it dry and brown it in the Dutch oven. I add a 1 pound link of chourico (Portuguese sausage) and water. I let that slowly bubble away for 2 1/2 hours. Now, I add little red bliss potatoes and whole small onions. In a half hour, I add carrots and a savoy cabbage cut in 4 wedges. Slice the cabbage through the stem or it'll fall apart. In another half hour, I poke everything with a fork, and it should be done. That's 3 1/2 hours. I let the corned beef cool while I spoon everything out on a platter. I cut the brisket thin with an electric carving knife and cube the chourico.

When I used to make corned beef, I would add a tablespoon of pickling spice and a quarter cup of red wine vinegar to the water, but with the chourico instead, you can drink the broth. I wouldn't give the broth with the pickling spice to the cat (Sorry TLEE). It adds the flavor or cumin, garlic, and paprika and smoke. It's kind of like a clam boil. We put chourico in them too, and serve pitchers of the hot broth with the dinners. Yummy. I've done New England Boiled Dinners, corned beef and cabbage, and clam boils for churches, rod and gun clubs, and my American Legion hall. Thousands of people! It's a welcome twist.

There are more Portuguese within 10 miles of my house than there are left in the Azores, and Chourico and Linguica are used to season everything. It goes with greens and seafood like magic. You don't eat clams without it. It dramatically improves the taste of baked beans too. It should become a staple just like slab bacon.
I'm Telling you if you do the boil and simmer method add brown sugar(roughly a cup) and some wine or sherry to the pot....even peope that say "I hate cabbage" will fight for the last pieces
Lots of great ideas here. I'll toss this out because I think it may be helpful to some no matter which method you use.
When I cook potato's in a "boil" I don't cut them open. I don't even want the skins to start to crack as they finish cooking. Irrespective of whether you use a starch, wax or sugar potato what happens when the potato flesh is exposed and submerged is that all of the starch, sugar or what ever you are trying to obtain from the particular spud you chose gets flushed out. The potato's can then easily become water logged.
When cabbage is simmered in a stock pot with adequate liquid you get a milder flavor. If you extend the cook time on cabbage you can end up with the sulfur in the cabbage forming trisulfides. The result is the reason many folks just don't like cooked cabbage. The same is true if you plop the cabbage into boiling water instead of simmering water as the chemical reaction is suspended by the heat but but that bitter flavor profile is left. Now I'm sure some might be scratching their head wondering just how strong the chemical reaction can be from the defensive system in a silly little cabbage. The answer is that this reaction was used as the basis that inspired the creation of Mustard Gas! eek
If you do use a crockpot method Croldfort nailed it. Stagger the cabbage and don't just throw every thing in all at once. The end result is well worth the effort.
I do agree with the approach to potatoes. This would also apply to mashed potatoes as well. You cut them up and they act like a sponge.

And as I stated the cabbage would be added last and only for a short period of time.

Kind of digging George's suggestion of brown sugar and sherry, wine or vinegar. Might have to try that with some pork.
I make it easy on myself. Throw the corned beef (brisket or flat - pass on the cheap point cut) into a pot with the seasoning it came with or in, and enough water to put the meat an inch or two under water. Cook (simmer on low) per the directions as to time. Add potatoes for the last half hour or so (I cut 'em in half.) I add the carrots for the last 15 minutes. I cut the cabbage head into quarters and throw them in when the meat, carrots and potatoes are done and removed from the water. I actually turn off the flame and just let the cabbage sit in the hot water until done - usually just a few minutes. As others have said, you don't want to overcook the cabbage. Let teh meat sit for a while so it slices easier. (Unless you prefer it shredded.)
I forgot to mention on my post that I always put some dried beans on to soak when I put the corned beef on to cook. When I remove the beef and veggies, I just add the beans to the broth and cook them. Three meals. Corned beef and cabbage, cornbread and beans the next night, and then Rubin sandwiches the third night. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Rolly
I'd put the cabbage and potatoes in the water after the corned beef is mostly done or else the cabbage will turn to water on you and the potatoes will be very soft and mushy.

I agree, we cook the corned beef in water, with the pickling spices in the water. The dinky packet that usually comes with your corned beef is not enough for us, so we add about a half of a jar of pickling spices also to the water. Once your corned beef is nearing done, throw in the potatoes, once the potatoes are nearing done, throw in the cabbage. That is all there is to it. Both my wife and I ask for this meal on birthdays, special occasions, and St Patrick's Day.
I'm sure every one elses method works fine as well as long as you skip the margerine

Just the opposite must be true...
I do the simmering in the pot method. Meat first, then veggies and at the last I pull the corned beef out to rest and then add the cabbage to the pot for about 15 min. to cook. I also add just a Tbl. of cider vinegar to help tenderize the corned beef. Any more vinegar and it can turn the meat to mush.

fish head
Beware the pepsi challenge, nobody can beat sse at that! Bob
Made this yesterday. 4lb piece in a large stock pot with just enough water to cover it. Sliced up 2 onions and diced up 4 cloves of fresh garlic. Brought it to a boil and then truned down to simmer for 3 hours 30 min. Removed corned beef, tossed in potatos cut in half, boiled for 10 min and then added the cabbage quarters. All done at the 4 hour mark. Wife had never had it before and she thought it was excellent.
Gee, you didn't need to bump this thread.

Now I need to find a deli for lunch.

I did make mine. Used Stetson's method. Didn't really know what I was doing, but it turned out pretty tasty. Used Costco corned beef. I also used small white potatoes in addition to the reds, for a little variety.

And that's right, it does kind of remind you of deli eat flavor/experience.
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
Beware the pepsi challenge, nobody can beat sse at that! Bob

BOBBALEE(!), you probably have pepsi ham twice a month!
We did ours Sat. Wifey picked out two at the store, one nice flat and a cheap point. Had the cheap point because it was just the two of us. We did 9 hrs in the slow cooker. Two on high, five on low, and two on high. It was outstanding. Cornbread with beans cooked from the broth last night. Rubin sandwiches tonight.
with beans cooked from the broth last night.

I definitely want to do this. What kind of beans do you use, and do you do anything additional to dress them up? Thanks.
Dang I should have saved the broth!
And....what the heck is pepsi ham?
trust me, you don't want to know. smile
LOL
And....what the heck is pepsi ham?

Keith,

Marinade a fresh ham in coke, ginger ale or other varieties of soda. Sort of like a brine. Nothing wrong with it.
Makes sense when you said "fresh" ham. I couldn't figure out why someone would want to do that to a smoked ham.....
It doesn't make any difference what kind of ham.

Just put some pepsi or coke (preferably pepsi, because it is called pepsi ham) in a pan and add a few slices of ham and heat it up for a bit until the pepsi reduces. You can find this in the Joy of Cooking on page 1242 (NOT) LOL

[Linked Image]
byc-sse -- I inject a mix of Pepsi, or Coke, or Moxie with Balsamic vinegar into pork before roasting it. Web
Originally Posted by wldthg
byc-sse -- I inject a mix of Pepsi, or Coke, or Moxie with Balsamic vinegar into pork before roasting it. Web

Interesting...
grin grin grin
Dropped my corned beef into the crockpot along with some carrots, onion and potato this morning before I went to work. I'm trying the brown sugar/wind suggestion and will cook the cabbage in the broth tonight when I get home. Got my fingers crossed as it sounds great.
Mine came out PERFECT! Absolutely!
Originally Posted by byc

Well congrats!

I took some of mind to friends and they liked it and said it turned out right, but I'd still like to try somebody elses or go to a restaraunt for comparison.
well thank you----come on over!!
Originally Posted by byc

Wait until tomorrow...... eek shocked
spending the whole day at the Clark Brother Range---70 degerees in NOVA and no worries!!
What about the other shooters? shocked

They'll have hearing protection...
grin grin grin

yer gonna get it...!
Originally Posted by sse

They'll have hearing protection...

I wasn't worried about their ears! whistle shocked
LEFTOVERS...!
Originally Posted by sse
grin grin grin

yer gonna get it...!

Me and Winkie loved that pic!! Thanks. Bob
Cooked a corned beef yesterday.

Put it in a crock pot.

Covered it with water, added 2 tbsp. Balsmatic vinegar and 1 tbsp. brown sugar, along with the spice pack that was included.

Cooked on high for 6 hours.

It crumbled when sliced, so was a little over cooked, BUT it made the BEST Ruben sandwiches I EVER ATE!!!

Didn't even cook with cabbage. We just wanted it for sandwiches.

Yum, Yum!

Virgil B.

Just put a corned beef roast in the crock pot,gonna try it that way ...pickeling spices,pepper,garlic powder and brown sugar and a couple cups of Sherry and a 1/3 bottle of dry reisling
One is never enough, did the second one this afternoon. Had to go out so the pot with water went in the oven to simmer for 4 hours or so, with extra peppercorn, mustard seed and bay leaf. When I got home I put it in a pan and cooked at 350 for around 20 minutes while cabbage and potatoes got ready. Gave the fat side a short blast under the broiler just for fun.

Easy. We don't need no steenkin whine! That's for drinking when you can't afford whiskey. wink

Actually I slip a little dry vermouth or sweet Marsala or whatever sounds like a good idea at the time into a lot of things.
Mine came out great me and the girls ate it all,none left
I'm sure it did, you know I was kidding of course. My ancestors developed so many fine Irish wines! grin
this cooking things for hours on end doesn't work for me.
I use a pressure cooker to cook my corn beef in. Usually done in about an hour and as tender as can be.
© 24hourcampfire