Home
Posted By: FZY Cast iron question - 05/08/11
I was wondering if there is anything that can be done for a warped cast iron skillet?
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Cast iron question - 05/08/11
I'm thinking not. I know Lodge Mfg uses old and broken cast recycled in their manufacturing process for new cookware. You could check with them.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Cast iron question - 05/08/11
I have never heard of anyone straightening one out.
Posted By: FZY Re: Cast iron question - 05/08/11
That's what I figured. O well I can still use it on the fire or in the oven. Thanks
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Cast iron question - 05/08/11
LOL, I didn't know they could warp.
Originally Posted by Scott F
I have never heard of anyone straightening one out.
Nope.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Cast iron question - 05/08/11
Originally Posted by FZY
I was wondering if there is anything that can be done for a warped cast iron skillet?

Yup! Sh-t can it.
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Cast iron question - 05/08/11
I guess one warps one by putting a hot skillet under cold water?
Originally Posted by .280Rem
That will do it, or crack it.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Cast iron question - 05/09/11
They will still work, just not as well.

Bet I know how it happened too . . .

Don't ask what makes me an eggspurt on this.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Cast iron question - 05/09/11
They will work on most surfaces.
Posted By: sse Re: Cast iron question - 05/12/11
Originally Posted by FZY

Sounds like a ringer on the 100 yard range...rimfire only.
Posted By: 257wby Re: Cast iron question - 05/12/11
BB gun at 25 yards!
Posted By: byc Re: Cast iron question - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by .280Rem

There it is!

About the only thing you can TRY is to put it in the hottest cooker you can find for as long as it takes. That works with a flat iron skillet sometimes.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cast iron question - 05/13/11
Cast iron has very poor thermal shock properties. Water on hot cast has a better than average chance of cracking. Pard did that one time in camp by accident, thinking the dutch oven was cooler than it actually was.

I warped one trying to clean it off in my gas grill. Cold, it's flat. When it gets hot the bottom pooches out a bit. Still very serviceable though.
I have one that, thankfully, does just the opposite of ironbenders. Pour oil in it cold and there will be a high spot in the middle that is above the surface. IOW oil will pool around the edge. By the time it gets to cook temp oil will evenly cover the bottom.

BCR
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Cast iron question - 05/14/11
Well the scrap price is decent if you can find enough iron to go with it...
Posted By: shooting50 Re: Cast iron question - 06/12/11
There is a way to fix it!!!!

The bottom is protruding making it wobble on the burner. Am I correct? If so, do this, but will need re-seasoning afterwards.
You will need to build a fire outside, out of dry oak or hickory wood if possible, you can use old pallets it will take several, or firewood.
First make a fire large enough to heat the skillet red hot for about 20 minutes.
Place the skillet up side down on the wood as you start the fire so it will come up to temp slowly trying to keep it flat as possible you want the skillet to glow cherry red for at least 20 minutes, at this point allow the fire to burn out with the skillet still in the fire. "DO NOT REMOVE THE SKILLET" from the fire, it will rapidly cool and crack.
When the skillet has cooled enough to touch, remove it and clean what residual soot may be present.
The bottom of the skillet should be slightly crowned to the inside at this point. If not, you didn't keep it upside down correctly during the process to allow the sides to expand pulling the bottom flat.
Posted By: FZY Re: Cast iron question - 06/12/11
Thanks. I will try it and report back.
© 24hourcampfire