Home
Yes, you read that correctly, 100% propane for backpacking type stoves. Yep, the little compact suckers. On nice, works-in-the-cold 100% propane.

The ideal set up is the 226g/8oz 100% propane Bernzomatic PowerCell -- if you can find them. They're out there, but they're tough to find.

Absent a PowerCell, you can use an adapter like [b][i]the Kovea LPG (propane) adapter[/i][/b] with common 16.4oz/465g propane cylinders, the kind everyone uses for car camping.

[Linked Image]

What are the considerations involved with the use of such an adapter and 100% propane for backpacking stoves? I address these and other practical matters of propane for backpacking stoves in my latest blog post: [b][i]100% Propane For Backpacking Stoves[/i][/b].

[Linked Image]

HJ
can't you put your spam somewhere else?
We do have a backpacking section here.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
can't you put your spam somewhere else?
Spam?

I'm not selling anything, and the information is on topic. However, if the post is unwelcome,
Moderators, please delete this post if it is inappropriate.

Thanks,

HJ
Originally Posted by rob p
We do have a backpacking section here.
Yes, Rob,

But a lot of hunters, fishermen, etc like backpacking type stoves because they're small and relatively portable. However, if the moderators would like to move this post to another section, I have no objection.

HJ
Jim, we don't have no stinking moderators. Peer pressure is about all we have.
Most of us look at your posts as spam. You might find more love over in the back pack hunting section.
Folks using this subform are more likely to be found firing up a Big Green Egg, than a camp stove. laugh
Backpack hunting forum? OK, can do.

Thanks,

HJ

Most of us look at your posts as spam. You might find more love over in the back pack hunting section.

I certainly don't regard Jim's posts as spam. The BP forum probably is a more appropriate venue though. He's not selling anything and as far as I see, he has a noncommercial blog about bp cooking. I'll have to go check it again.

Jim - you have some interesting threads and good info (not all of which I agree with) smile but I for one, am glad you are here. Carry on.
Interesting information to those of us who get out and do stuff in the outdoors.

Welcome to the fire.
One thing's for sure....some SPAM would taste good right about now. No matter how it's cooked. Dayum high BP.

Carry on Gents!

I don't think it's spam either. I don't backpack but find it interesting, I like to have something warm to drink or eat on longer ice fishing trips. Even propane gets a little weak on the cold days.
A "cold day" is when you gotta go outside and pee on the tank to make coffee!
Originally Posted by ironbender
The BP forum probably is a more appropriate venue though.
Got it. Thanks.

He's not selling anything and as far as I see, he has a noncommercial blog about bp cooking. I'll have to go check it again.
Yep. Nothing for sale. Just a hobby. C'mon and look if you like -- or not. It's there if it's helpful.

Jim - you have some interesting threads and good info (not all of which I agree with) smile but I for one, am glad you are here. Carry on.
Thanks, bro.

HJ
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I don't think it's spam either. I don't backpack but find it interesting,
Thanks

Originally Posted by nighthawk
Even propane gets a little weak on the cold days.
And I've got some ideas about that. Yes, white gas or kerosene, of course. But some really like gas (or really dislike liquid fuel). I've got some ideas that should work down to about -45F on canister gas. They're not quite ready for the blog yet. I go out and test this stuff before I post my ideas. If you never hear from me again, that means I blew myself up. smile

HJ
Originally Posted by byc
some SPAM would taste good right about now. Dayum high BP.
You and me both, bro.

HJ
Jim

I like the info thanks for posting it. Have a few backpacking stoves that see non-backpacking work a few times a year. Got any good base camp recipes to share?
Originally Posted by Mac7
Jim

I like the info thanks for posting it. Have a few backpacking stoves that see non-backpacking work a few times a year. Got any good base camp recipes to share?
Hi, Mac,

My specialty is omelets which both my wife and I enjoy. Nothing too elaborate here, but my "trick" (if it can even be called that) is to add about 1 part milk to 4 or 5 parts egg, and then whip everything together. Of course using butter to grease the pan improves the flavor as well.

I also bring a lid for my pan whenever I can. I turn down the heat fairly low, and cover for a while with all the ingredients inside. Gives everything a good even cooking.

Of course you need a good thick pan for this. A flimsy little light weight pan won't cut it if you want a decent omelet.

HJ

I certainly don't regard Jim's posts as spam. The BP forum probably is a more appropriate venue though. He's not selling anything and as far as I see, he has a noncommercial blog about bp cooking. I'll have to go check it again.

What 'bender said.

Jim, just ignore Mannlicher.....he's an obnoxious douche, and certainly doesn't speak for "most of us", as he presumes.

Sure, the Backpacking forum is probably a better venue for this, but it's good info, nonetheless. Thanks.

Jeff
Jim:

I find your info interesting. Can't imagine why it's looked on as spam by some. I have absolutely no use for one of those little stoves but enjoy seeing what other folks find useful and it looks like you have an interesting hobby. I never get more than 25 feet from a vehicle so no need for it but there was a time....

Elwood

Somehow "most" of us missed the survey ya miserable [bleep].

Originally Posted by akjeff

What 'bender said.

Jim, just ignore Mannlicher.....he's an obnoxious douche, and certainly doesn't speak for "most of us", as he presumes.

Sure, the Backpacking forum is probably a better venue for this, but it's good info, nonetheless. Thanks.

Jeff

Hey Jeff-

Hope you're keeping warm! crazy

Sam's OK, IMO. I'm looking forward to my curmudgeon years! smile
Hey Mike,

Barely keeping warm! Cold snaps make me grumpy!

I just hope Hikin Jim comes up with a 100% propane fired Crock-Pot for backpackers, and a selection of recipes featuring Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and cream of mushroom soup! That should really bring out the best in Sam! smile

Jeff
Since I seldom if ever visit the BP forum and I do cook, I am glad to learn something anywhere it appears.

I have the option to open or read a post so am seldom bothered even if they might be off topic.

Course that is just me.
...Crock-Pot for backpackers, and a selection of recipes featuring Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and cream of mushroom soup!

So you've found my secrets!
...Crock-Pot for backpackers, and a selection of recipes featuring Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and cream of mushroom soup!

So you've found my secrets!

I knew it! grin
Hi, guys,

Thanks for a few "dissenting opinions." Glad I didn't pack my bags too soon.

No propane crock pots, but I am working on a gas stove that should work down to -45F. Prototype photo below. This is a world preview on the open internet. You saw it here on 24 Hour Campfire first. smile
[Linked Image]

HJ
MAPP gas?
Originally Posted by akjeff
MAPP gas?
Yes.

I'm still testing this, so I'm not recommending it at this point. All of my tests so far have been successful, but one has to be careful with MAPP. MAPP has a lot higher pressure than the standard backpacking type gas canister.

The advantage of MAPP is that it vaporizes down to -54F, which in practical terms means they'd be usable to about -45F. Standard backpacking canisters are good down to +20F (with a 80/20 isobutane/propane mix). In other words, MAPP gas can be used in temperatures some 65 Fahrenheit degrees lower than standard backpacking canisters.

MAPP canisters are heavy, and MAPP is generally more expensive than regular gas, but gas stoves are more mechanically reliable in extreme cold than white gasoline/kerosene stoves, and gas stoves don't require priming. Not having to prime could be a real life saver if you were tent-bound due to weather.

I doubt this would be something the average outdoorsman would want, but for those who brave extreme cold, it might be of interest. Definitely a specialized item.

HJ
© 24hourcampfire