Home
Posted By: kciH Knife sharpener - 02/18/12
Anyone know of a good knife sharpener for kitchen knife use? Probably looking for something electric unless a simple manual one will do it.

I have a Lansky for my hunting stuff, but it takes way too much time for the stuff I use every day.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
i use the edgemaker,have them in the kitchen,shop,boat,backpack.

the work great on surrated knives to.

http://www.edgemaker.com/
Posted By: rrogers Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
I recommend getting a diamond steel and learning how to use it. Once you learn that the other methods seam pretty useless. Done properly it is faster and you get a better edge than you do with any of the other sharpening systems. If you touch up the edge every other time you use a knife it just takes a couple of strokes and you have a very happy spouse too.
Posted By: tjk Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
Agree with using a good steel on a very regular basis. I'd recommend the Lansky, but since you already own one, my best recomendation would be to take some time to sharpen all your kitchen knives to your satisfaction with the Lansky and learn to use a steel. A sharp edge lasts a long time with that routine.
Posted By: kciH Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
A diamond steel is just a better version of the round steel with a handle, like comes with your typical kitchen knife set?
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
Yep , I got a Henckel steel that works very well.
Posted By: kciH Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
I'll have to take a look at them, the one that came with the knives doesn't seem to do much any more.
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
A steel does not "sharpen" an edge. That is to say it removes no metal all it does is straighten the microccopic teeth on it.
Posted By: Youper Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
For kitchen knives I use Accusharp from

Fortune Products, Inc.
HC04, Box 303
Marble Falls, TX 78654

This is a cheap sharpener that quickly puts a good working edge on kitchen knives.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
EdgePro Apex. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. smile
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
[Linked Image]

followed by

[Linked Image]
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
I use a Japenese water stone, and tutch up with a steel between sharpenings.

Works great for me and keeps the Wife happy.

Virgil B.
Posted By: LFD Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
I use a good Sharpening Steel. I use a set of J A Henckle knives and use a J A Henckle steel. I have used for about 15 years or more. I just keep knives sharp always. I just feel careful not to sharpen certain knives not to sharp. 8" Chef and 6" utility I keep razor sharp. Use the Chef knife as a food processor. Can get any knife razor sharp but the most important thing with any knife just keeping it sharp. A Butcher will carry on his belt a steel always to sharpen as needed, all day long
Posted By: medicman Re: Knife sharpener - 02/19/12
I use the Lansky to get sharp and ceramic sticks before every use to keep the nicro edges alligned. In a pinch I touch up on the back unfinished ring of a plate.
© 24hourcampfire