Home
Posted By: ironbender "Green" Cookware - 04/08/12
Top 5 Reasons Why Cast Iron Cookware Is So Green...

1. Cast iron is naturally non-stick. Properly seasoned (see below) nothing will stick to it. Cast iron eliminates the need for the costly, toxic chemicals used to create the non-stick surfaces in modern cookware.

2. Eco-easy clean up. All cast iron cookware requires for clean up is hot water and a stiff brush, so you avoid any harmful chemicals in detergent or solvents.

3. Cast iron can take the heat. It can withstand much hotter temperatures and will distribute the heat more evenly than traditional cookware. And since it holds heat well, you can use less energy to cook. Plus it�s perfect for outdoor cooking. Just remember that cast iron gets hot. so use an oven mitt when handling a hot pan.

4. It�s a great upcycling opportunity. Don�t ever worry about buying a cast iron skillet or other cast iron cooking vessel�like a dutch oven�from a resale shop or garage sale. Even if it looks rusty and dirty, it can be cleaned and re-seasoned and continue on cooking, forever.

5. It�s good for you. Cast iron cookware leaches small amounts of iron into food, so you get a little extra iron each time you use it. Almost anyone, especially women in their child bearing years, will benefit from this.

Link:
http://www.recyclebank.com/live-green/cast-iron-greenest-choice-cooking/#.T4DPsFbwCmQ
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: "Green" Cookware - 04/08/12
and another good point is that with well seasoned cast iron, you can cook most foods on medium heat or less. This can offer a substantial energy savings over the years.
Posted By: MissTreated Re: "Green" Cookware - 04/08/12
It's great until you put food in it and can't lift the stinkin' thing! I like cooking in them okay, but they are simply too heavy for me.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: "Green" Cookware - 04/09/12
One thing that is never mentioned, however: everyone bitches about electric stoves because they keep on cooking after the heat is turned off. The same is true of cast iron when the wonderful gas is turned off.
Posted By: selmer Re: "Green" Cookware - 04/09/12
It's called learning how to cook with cast iron. My dad taught me how and compared it to pass-shooting geese - lead them a looonnnggg ways! What he meant is that you should anticipate the temperature curve with cast iron. Once you do that and know it, you're golden. My wife is still trying to figure it out. grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: "Green" Cookware - 04/09/12
Isn't there someone young, strong, and hungry in your house?
Posted By: ironbender Re: "Green" Cookware - 04/09/12
The skillets that have a handle tab are nice. I have one skillet that when full, is a two-hand operation.
Posted By: selmer Re: "Green" Cookware - 04/09/12
BTW, as for "any oil will work" for seasoning, that may be true, but I've tried just about everything, and flaxseed oil takes the prize for a beautiful seasoning that is tougher than nails, non-stick, and easy to care for.
Posted By: chris_c Re: "Green" Cookware - 04/09/12
I like the carryover heat when using my dutch oven, keeps the food warm for serving. smile
© 24hourcampfire