Home
[b][color:#3333FF]This recipe for Summer Sausage[/color][/b] was posted in another thread and I'd like to try it.

But I don't have any "meat cure" handy and I can't find any locally at the moment.

Since this "summer sausage" will be cooked in an over and immediately consumed instead of being smoked, can I substitute regular salt for the curing agent.?
probably won't taste the same... surprised that you can't find tender quick as its generally available at most grocery stores.
I'll check a few more places. Didn't know that it would change the taste, I'll keep checking.
That's the recipe I posted. It says "sugar based curing mixture". Here's a link to a site that might tell ya how to make your own.
http://www.eldonsausage.com/Oven-Processing-Sausages-s/1908.htm
Luck

PS,,, I just made up another batch with more Jalapeno's and a little less liquid smoke today. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

PSS,, don't over cook it.
Thanks,..yeah let us know how it turns out. I don't have a smoker, so oven sausage is my only alternative at the moment...
Found some cure today, made up the sausage rolls. I probably made them a little bigger than the recipe called for, I ended up with 4 rolls.

They're sitting in the fridge, will cook em up on Christmas.

We'll see how they turn out...

I made some a few weeks ago. It worked well. I'd consider adding some powdered milk to it.

q Non-fat dry milk � Add 3.5% (of meat weight) to the meat mixture. Binds the meat, retains natural juices.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3674918/Re_summer_sausage_success
Thanks for the heads up DP4...

I cooked up this easy version today. Very impressed at how well it turned out, considering it was all done in the oven without a smoker...a little honey mustard and I could make a meal out of it...

[Linked Image]
Looks REALLY "tasty"... YUM !!! smile
The only hing I would encourage you to do is add some ground pork or pork fat and something for a binder like powdered milk to give it more moist solid texture. You don't need a smoker to make good summer sausage. Just cook it slow in the oven at around 190 till it reaches about 160 internal temp.
© 24hourcampfire