Home
I've been buying the BGE brand and seems to get expensive at times. Any other suggestions on possibly a cheaper brand or should I stick with BGE?
Royal Oak Lump Charcoal - several $'s less expensive than the BGE brand and just as good.

P.S. I'm not a BGE Guy - purchased the Kamado Vision cooker last summer complete with all accessories for $399. Who needs a BGE? Not me.
Thx Clay, you're the second one i've heard today (friend of mine) recommend Royal Oak.
Originally Posted by Clay
Royal Oak Lump Charcoal - several $'s less expensive than the BGE brand and just as good.

agreed
While I still like bge lump ---royal oak is the same OEM supplier. Only difference I find are larger chunks in the BGE bag.

Wicked good is another good one. Too bad they eliminated their competition blend.

Also, Primo Grill brand lump is as good as any other at half the price.

Happy eggin'

David
I've bought Royal Oak lump and just regular ol' Kingsford briquetes. It seems to me the Kingsford gets a lot hotter and lasts longer than the Royal Oak. Or is that all in my head?

Not on a BGE, just an el cheapo sheet metal stamped grill.
There are a bunch of good ones out there, but depending on your location they might not be available. My favorite brands in order are:

1. The Good One

2. Ozark Oak

3. Fire King

4. Big Green Egg

5. Royal Oak Steak House (Green Bag)

Your best bet is find what is available in your area and go to The Naked Whiz site and read his lump charcoal reviews.

The Naked Whiz Database.

Mike

or whatever you can find locally wink
Originally Posted by eh76
or whatever you can find locally wink

Or that will work too. Probably not a lot of selection in your neck of the woods ehh Keith? Happy New Year!

Mike
Happy New Year to you Mike! I have to drive 50+ miles to get lump charcoal. I can either buy over priced BGE from the outfit that sells the grills or hit a big box store for Royal Oak. Once in a while Sams has some in Cheyenne.
I use the Royal Oak - but couldn't find it at WalMart or anywhere else. However, DoItBest Hardware carries it online and I have it shipped, for free, to my local (10 miles) hardware store. Price seems fair, but YMMV!!

http://www.doitbest.com/Charcoal+an...odel-195-228-017-doitbest-sku-809233.dib
I don't think we have those here, but I will look.
Cowboy Charcoal
I like Ozark Oak the best, but they sell the cowboy brand in the grocery store and sometimes convenience wins out.
has anyone, under dire circumstances, used...gulp...briquettes??

did the egg blow up??
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

did the egg blow up??

I had some left over when I bought my ceramic cooker. They work well for burgers and steaks, but were a PIA for anything low and slow. I had to constantly adjust for the temperature.
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

did the egg blow up??

Briquettes will work, but DO NOT light them using lighter fluid. Ceramic cookers are porous and you will never get rid of the lighter fluid taste.

Mike
Tractor Supply carries the RO lump in this area. They(RO) supply BGE. Also Academy Sports has a very fine lump from either oak, hickory, or mesquite, I think they sell on line. Good luck, usually the Walmarts have RO until the fall in this area. I prefer the Academy lump best. Dick
I've gotta lump that you can toss in your smoker! It might improve on the taste of things too! grin
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I've gotta lump that you can toss in your smoker! It might improve on the taste of things too! grin

Buuwahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

Rabbit pellet cooker!!!!!
Originally Posted by Jtown
Cowboy Charcoal

I'll use it in a pinch but I sure do wonder what some of the things I find in the bags are. I just the wood flooring is not the factory pre- finished stuff. wink

As for briquettes I've seen them used but they create a mess and leave a ton of ash. Burn out much faster as well. And as Mike pointed out NO lighter fluid. But then again some of them rabbit pellet head cookers use electricity!! wink
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Buuwahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

Rabbit pellet cooker!!!!!

Now now, don't be jealous! grin

David, have you ever made your own charcoal? Is that cost effective? Do you get better or worse smoke flavoring?
HA!

Been reading up on it Mark but never have. I figure reused wood chunks or an open fire are about the closet thing I have come to making my own charcoal.

I have the trees. Just need the time. frown
© 24hourcampfire