Home
Posted By: wabigoon No BLTs? - 09/05/13
It's been tomato season for a while. Anyone like the bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
I've had plenty this summer, along with club sandwiches.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
White bread, rye, toast, mayo, ?
Posted By: garyh9900 Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
I eat them a few times a week. I usually use white bread and a thin layer of dukes.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
Oh yeah..piled high on toasted wheat berry bread.

[Linked Image]

... and a good thing I never tire of them either.! grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
That would be a lot of sandwiches Woody! Do you can some?
"Eat what you can, can what you can't."
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
We do can alot but the wife is honcho at our local Farmers Market so these numbers look huge but are sold fairly fast this time of year in a matter of hours. We've had these tables filled like this on and off for the past two weeks.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
Toasted whole wheat, peppered bacon, and Best Foods. None of that Miracle Ship.

Love some avocado on it too.
Posted By: jmillo Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
Lightly toasted white bread, thick cut bacon, slabs of fresh tomato, crip romaine and sliced avocado with a little hellmans
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
Had some last week. Fresh Roma's out of the garden, fried bacon with mayo and lettuce on 7 grain bread.

YUM YUM! Gonna have MORE this week!

Virgil B.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
Rotella's white bread (un-toasted), mayo, four slices of thick cut apple wood smoked bacon, leaf lettuce and a thin slice of red onion. I'll have two please. YUM!!

Mike
Posted By: Cheesy Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
Wheatberry bread of some brand (local supermarket has a 'home baked' one that is great), mayo or miracle whip, I'm not a snob, thick cut peppered bacon and a lot of it(JC Potter preferrably, Wright's will do as a substitute), sliced tomatoes, salt and pepper on the tomatoes, leaf lettuce (red or green, none of that iceberg crap), thin slice of onion, dill pickles, and a slice of American Cheese.

I have ate more than I count of them this summer. Have tired of picking tomatoes, 32 plants out there full of ripe fruit. Coworkers are tired of me bringing in tomatoes. The first 4 or 5 five gallon buckets full always disappear fast. After that people kind of slow down on what they take home.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
Bacon, lettuce, fried green tomato slices, homemade mayo, on toasted rye bread (sans caraway seeds sick)....Yummmmm smile
Posted By: atvalaska Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
blt=good eats!! when I pull some butts or other big meat off my wsm/smoker I toss on a package or 2 of bacon (most of the time right from the freezer) add some more wood chips and damp it down...... get it off the Q the next day ....got to use up the coals/heat u know! extra smoke and flavor take in the house to finish/ an crisp!
Posted By: mathman Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
I love a BLT, double B and hold the T. grin
Posted By: jpb Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
Originally Posted by jmillo
Lightly toasted white bread, thick cut bacon, slabs of fresh tomato, crip romaine and sliced avocado with a little hellmans

This... but toasted sour dough bread and use guacamole (instead of the avocado of course).

The extra spices in the guacamole liven things up (if you have good guacamole of course).

It was here on the 'Fire that somebody recommended this, and they sure got it right!

John

Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: No BLTs? - 09/05/13
English Toasting bread, 'mater, Romaine and French's mustard.
Posted By: Steve Re: No BLTs? - 09/06/13
Sourdough (lightly toasted), just a bit of mayo, big slabs of ripe tomatoes, thick pepper bacon, and red lettuce.

Doesn't get better.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: No BLTs? - 09/06/13
Doooood!! Mustard on a BLT??

Hell, I'd try it..
Posted By: RNF Re: No BLTs? - 09/06/13
Originally Posted by Steve
Sourdough (lightly toasted), just a bit of mayo, big slabs of ripe tomatoes, thick pepper bacon, and red lettuce.

Doesn't get better.

Give me one of these too.
Posted By: Otter Re: No BLTs? - 09/06/13
BLT - IMHO, the best sandwich ever "invented" . . . only hold the "L" for me, lettuce just takes up space that ought to be occupied by BACON. Only 4 slices of bacon is an insult to bacon grin.
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: No BLTs? - 09/06/13
Originally Posted by TERRY8mm
English Toasting bread, 'mater, Romaine and French's mustard.

Yes Sir, mustard is for BLTs.
Posted By: sse Re: No BLTs? - 09/06/13
Originally Posted by jmillo

Don't know where you got that idea, but that is nearly identical to a sammich I got from an eatery on the streets of Victoria, BC, long time ago. The bread was toasted whole wheat, the avocado was not sliced but mashed in the skin, and then scooped out and spread on the sammich. Been makin 'em ever since.

P.S. Mustard on a BLT is unthinkable.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: No BLTs? - 09/06/13
Had two more BLT's last night.

Bacon, Lettuce, Roma tomatoes, mayo AND mustard, on 7 grain bread.

YUM YUM!! Best ever!

Virgil B.
Posted By: sse Re: No BLTs? - 09/08/13
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Had two more BLT's last night.

Bacon, Lettuce, Roma tomatoes, mayo AND mustard, on 7 grain bread.

YUM YUM!! Best ever!

Virgil B.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: No BLTs? - 09/08/13
I like a BLT best, if I can use some thick slices of my Olive Oil White Bread, and Duke's Mayo.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: No BLTs? - 09/08/13
Just had a BLT this noon. Actually found some bacon thick enough to be worthy of the name. (Are there actually people who want that thin crap that is the standard in stores?) My tomatoes are finally ripening. I have some variety of antique that is yellow and gets progressively red from the bottom up. I got the plants from a friend and don't remember what they are, but they are delicious.
Posted By: jpb Re: No BLTs? - 09/08/13
I read this thread this morning, and was thinking about a BLT for supper all day -- and I just had it!

Toasted sourdough bread, crisp bacon, tomato, lettuce and a thick layer of nice spicy guacamole!

The guacamole was suggested here on the 'Fire, and I like it - give it a try if you have not done so.

Unfortunately, I cannot get my favorite maple-cured bacon here in Sweden.

Anybody willing to swap some nice Swedish potato bologna for some North American maple-cured bacon? wink

John

I know of someone who would love to do that, if shipping weren't so ridiculous. If you could make it to the states, I know that he'd be happy to supply you with some. smile
Here's one of the aforementioned tomatoes. Anyone with an ID?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: No BLTs? - 09/08/13
That looks like a Scrumptiousious scanum lycopersicum to me John.
I could give you a better answer if you dropped of a peck for me to sample. All in the interest of science, of course.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: No BLTs? - 09/09/13
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Here's one of the aforementioned tomatoes. Anyone with an ID?

[Linked Image]

Looks like "Big Tiger" Heirloom maters
Posted By: jpb Re: No BLTs? - 09/09/13
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I know of someone who would love to do that, if shipping weren't so ridiculous. If you could make it to the states, I know that he'd be happy to supply you with some. smile

Too true -- and am pretty sure that customs would seize any meat products going in either direction as a risk for various diseases. frown

Oh well, I'll just have to get my maple-cured bacon fix when I visit Canada or the USA!

John
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: No BLTs? - 09/09/13
Originally Posted by jpb
Too true -- and am pretty sure that customs would seize any meat products going in either direction as a risk for various diseases. frown John

Sadly you are right. I would give my left nut, and maybe half of my right for a jar of Beefy Bovril right now! That beefy goodness on toast in the morning is the best! Damn you mad cow disease!

Mike
Posted By: crowbuster Re: No BLTs? - 09/10/13
It looks similar to a Mr Stripey.
© 24hourcampfire