Home
Posted By: Hawk_Pilot Camp Kitchen - 04/13/14
Going to upgrade the camp kitchen for elk camp. What's worked well for your camp. Post your pics from camp.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/13/14
are you cooking inside or out?
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/14/14
What stuff for your camp kitchen do you already have???

L.W.
Posted By: wldthg Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/14/14
[Linked Image]
If inside get a 4 burner Garland with a 30" flat top
Posted By: ironbender Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/14/14
OK. We're not talking about Coleman white gas stoves, are we? smile
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/15/14
looks like we are not talking at all. Ask a question, walk away, ignore the answers? Weird.
Posted By: Rgramjet Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/15/14
[img:left]https://db.tt/qOyryxEa[/img]

A six burner 24" flat top works well too!
Posted By: Hawk_Pilot Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/19/14
Sorry to leave ya hangin. We cook outside. Our current setup is a table and a Coleman propane stove. That's what Dad always used. We recently upgraded to a Camp Chef 2-burner stove. Thinking of adding an easy-up canopy. We use a couple Action Packers to keep our pots, pans and other kitchen stuff in.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/19/14
Easy up canopy works ok if you don't have any wind. The side panels and screen don't fit all that well...at least on the one I own.

[Linked Image]

I upgraded to a surplus military shelter..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/19/14
Originally Posted by eh76
Easy up canopy works ok if you don't have any wind. The side panels and screen don't fit all that well...at least on the one I own.

[Linked Image]

I upgraded to a surplus military shelter..

[Linked Image]

Yep the military version is a must to protect the valuables! grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/19/14
If you are gonna post that you have to post the crowd

[Linked Image]
Posted By: whambasted Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/19/14
This is the setup for backpacking and spike camps

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/22/14
I'm a fair weather camper and I don't hunt big game any more (unless you consider shooting the occasional meat Deer from my porch hunting) so I try to keep things as simple and light weight as possible.
Portable table and an old Coleman two burner although I have been thinking about upgrading to a stove with a grill.
The wand to run both stove and lantern on one bulk tank is a must.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/23/14
Nuthin wrong with that setup either...might have to convince you to trek on down for a warm weather trip...
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/23/14
Nuthin wrong with that setup either...might have to convince you to trek on down for a warm weather trip...

That would be fun Keith.
We used to do some camping up at Esterbrook. Pretty country if they haven't turned it into a subdivision.

As for my little camp. I get by fine with a CI skillet, a coffee pot, and a canvas tent, but I'm not a minimalist fanatic (note the propane hose for the Buddy heater in the tent:)

There's also a cot and air mattress in there. wink
[Linked Image]

It's actually pretty handy. All my camping gear lives in that little trailer so when I get the urge I just throw some bacon, beans, and beer in the cooler, hook up the trailer, and off we go.
[Linked Image]

PS,,,, I like the looks of that little pop-up trailer.
Looks like it would be pretty handy for getting away from the crowds too.
Posted By: fish head Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/23/14
If you are gonna post that you have to post the crowd

[Linked Image]

That crew is sooooo ugly ...

Just looking at 'em makes me want to go kill something.

grin
Posted By: whambasted Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/24/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete E Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/24/14
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

As for my little camp. I get by fine with a CI skillet, a coffee pot, and a canvas tent, but I'm not a minimalist fanatic.

It's actually pretty handy. All my camping gear lives in that little trailer so when I get the urge I just throw some bacon, beans, and beer in the cooler, hook up the trailer, and off we go.

PS,,,, I like the looks of that little pop-up trailer.
Looks like it would be pretty handy for getting away from the crowds too.

Very nice set up there!

Are you guys allowed to tow a second trailer behind the first? Its not something you see over here in the UK, but I've such set-ups several times in the more rural parts of South Africa..
Posted By: eh76 Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/24/14
You can in Wyoming. I have seen several people pull campers and then a boat or ATV trailer.
You can in Wyoming. I have seen several people pull campers and then a boat or ATV trailer.

I can see it working well in some places, but given the nature of the country roads over here, I don't think it would be too practical.

I've been following the thread with interest as I want to do more "out door living" this year..
And I don't just mean camping, but also taking off after work, and spending an evening cooking and chilling in front of a campfire. I am lucky to live near some beautiful countryside, but like many Brits, I'm guilty of not using it enough..
Originally Posted by Pete E

I can see it working well in some places, but given the nature of the country roads over here, I don't think it would be too practical.

I've been following the thread with interest as I want to do more "out door living" this year..
And I don't just mean camping, but also taking off after work, and spending an evening cooking and chilling in front of a campfire. I am lucky to live near some beautiful countryside, but like many Brits, I'm guilty of not using it enough..

You are NOT the only one guilty of not using it enough. We all get trapped into "things needing to be done" I think. I am fortunate in that I can park my trailer on a friend's ranch and leave it set up for extended periods of time. When I am not there continuously I take down my outside shelter and just move my basic cooking inside and grill outside.

You are the only one guilty of not using it enough. We all get trapped into "things needing to be done" I think. I am fortunate in that I can park my trailer on a friend's ranch and leave it set up for extended periods of time. When I am not there continuously I take down my outside shelter and just move my basic cooking inside and grill outside.

I would add that I think our generally crap weather does not help..

While in RSA, one of the simple things I loved was to be able eat regularly eat breakfast out on the patio..over here its probably too cold for that 8 months a year and even in the summer you still have have the rain to contend with..

You are NOT the only one guilty of not using it enough. We all get trapped into "things needing to be done" I think. I am fortunate in that I can park my trailer on a friend's ranch and leave it set up for extended periods of time. When I am not there continuously I take down my outside shelter and just move my basic cooking inside and grill outside.

I would add that I think our generally crap weather does not help..

While in RSA, one of the simple things I loved was to be able eat regularly eat breakfast out on the patio..over here its probably too cold for that 8 months a year and even in the summer you still have have the rain to contend with..

Sorry I had to edit my post..my brain was working faster than my fingers.... eek
Posted By: chris_c Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/24/14
Are you guys allowed to tow a second trailer behind the first? Its not something you see over here in the UK, but I've such set-ups several times in the more rural parts of South Africa..

You can in Mn, but the first has to be a fifth wheel with king pin, second one "recreational trailer"
Fifth Wheelers are about as common as honest politian's over here, but strangely enough I saw one yesterday..Again, I suspect the vehicle and trailers you guys drive would not be practical on our small back country roads, but still love to see what you guys, the Australians and South Africans use for your hunting and camping trips..
I'll bet you get a bit more rain than we do..edited my post above no offense intended.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/25/14
I'll bet you get a bit more rain than we do..edited my post above no offense intended.

Absolutely no offence taken at any of your posts my friend, typos or not!

BTW, tell us a little more about that military shelter..Is it a wall tent of some sort?

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: roundoak Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/25/14
Fair weather camp kitchen. Foul weather, use the interior setup.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/25/14

Absolutely no offence taken at any of your posts my friend, typos or not!

BTW, tell us a little more about that military shelter..Is it a wall tent of some sort?

Regards,

Peter

It is a surplus officers tent. It has 4 sides, interior sides, floor, stove, LED lighting and vestubile/awning to go with is. It will fill a my F250 Ford truck bed with the 3 large bags that store it.

Interior of the trailer...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This thread brings back some memories. On some of the leases we had in Scotland, we'd buy a cheap at the end of its life caravan
(trailer) and set it up as a semi-permanent "camp".

We'd usually spend some time curing leaks, doing repairs and modifications before taking it up, but once in the woods, it was generally left in position.

These were caravans we might pay $150 for "scrap value" so to speak. It was not worth paying more as there was always a risk some scrote would break in and trash it.

Over the years we got lucky and apart from the odd break in, we suffered no serious damage apart from a forced lock. When we left one lease, we sold the caravan to some bird shooters who were also on the ground, and we heard that within a month they had found it trashed so I guess we have been lucky..
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/25/14
That's a nice set up Keith.
My old hunting partner (now deceased) had a Cargo trailer he converted to a camper.
In my mind it was allot more rugged, and after some mods, every bit as comfortable as a camp trailer for a whole lot less money.
My old hunting partner (now deceased) had a Cargo trailer he converted to a camper.
In my mind it was allot more rugged, and after some mods, every bit as comfortable as a camp trailer for a whole lot less money.

In the past, one or two folks on here have posted pics of horses trailers converted in a similar way. I am guessing they would also be more rugged..
Posted By: whambasted Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/25/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: LostArra Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/26/14
I'm a fair weather camper and I don't hunt big game any more (unless you consider shooting the occasional meat Deer from my porch hunting) so I try to keep things as simple and light weight as possible.
Portable table and an old Coleman two burner although I have been thinking about upgrading to a stove with a grill.

[Linked Image]

great dog
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Camp Kitchen - 04/26/14
Originally Posted by LostArra
I'm a fair weather camper and I don't hunt big game any more (unless you consider shooting the occasional meat Deer from my porch hunting) so I try to keep things as simple and lightweight as possible.

[Linked Image]

great dog

When she's awake;)
She debunks everything that's ever been said or printed about GSP's being hyper.
© 24hourcampfire