Home
I am wondering if any of you all use an induction cooktop and am also wondering if you can use cast iron to cook effectively on them? Thanks for your time.
Cast iron is the way to go on induction units. While I have just a little experience on them they are the way to go...
Ok thanks.
I am not comfortable with heavy cast iron on glass tops.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am not comfortable with heavy cast iron on glass tops.

Nor am I.

About ten or eleven months ago we bought a new electric range, near $2,000.00, bells and whistles and glass top and all. Neither of us cared much for electric stoves but the house did not have a gas line to the kitchen. The instructions stated "Do Not Use Cast Iron unless you are extremely careful! Buy special Pans" etc.

Over a period of time, we had some problems with the stove. Finally about two months ago, I had the stove removed, paid a plumber to run a gas line into the kitchen, bought a nice gas stove and the first night, out came our cast iron skillet. No problem, no worry, and no need to be careful about scooting a cast iron pan from one burner to the next.

No more glass top electric for us... ever! grin

L.W.
My parents have used theirs for 20 years with no issues. I'm only going on about 7, but I haven't had any problems either.
Gonna take a beating selling our less than a year old glass top but a gas range will be in its place this year !

Miss the gasser simmering soups and stews.

Denny.
A friend cooks his beer wort on one, six gallons at a time on a small single unit and uses it for all sorts of other stuff, all except the wort with cast iron... They seem plenty tough to me.
© 24hourcampfire