Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Macaroni Salad ? - 07/24/14
OK, guys the cole slaw thread went over very well with many replies. No picnic is complete without a bowl of 'roni salad in the basket so lets hear whatcha got.

My recipe is certainly not an exact science as it's mainly macaroni, chopped onion, chopped celery,chopped hard boiled eggs and the addition of mayo, sour creme and maybe a splash of creme or milk salted & peppered to taste.

How do you guys make yours ?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/24/14
Very rarely.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/24/14
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Very rarely.

Thank you fer yer input !! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/24/14
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

*Looking down at myself, my ample bosom, and my many curvaceous feminine lines, my soft pink skin, and smelling the sweet floral notes of my perfume* "Sorry, not a guy" frown
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

*Looking down at myself, my ample bosom, and my many curvaceous feminine lines, my soft pink skin, and smelling the sweet floral notes of my perfume* "Sorry, not a guy" frown

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, ya fergot ta add "panties inna twist" to that impressive lineup ML

"guys" is unisex don'tcha know ? wink, wink, wink laugh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/24/14
For anyone that likes the salad, I say go for it.
Macaroni is just not one of my favorites.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/24/14
Mine is simple, like most of my salad recipes.

Macaroni (1 lb)
MAYO (not Miracle Wizz sick)
Celery salt
Mustard
Chopped pickles
Pickle juice
boiled eggs
Diced red onion
Salt and pepper to taste

I don't really use measurements, I make it to my tastes.
Gotta dig through the fridge and look for some dill pickle relish ! Thanks.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/24/14
Gotta dig through the fridge and look for some dill pickle relish ! Thanks.

Fresh dill will work also but you have to let it sit for a little while for the dill flavor to permeate through the salad. Permeate?? lol
Posted By: chris_c Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/24/14
OK, guys the cole slaw thread went over very well with many replies. No picnic is complete without a bowl of 'roni salad in the basket so lets hear whatcha got.

My recipe is certainly not an exact science as it's mainly macaroni, chopped onion, chopped celery,chopped hard boiled eggs and the addition of mayo, sour creme and maybe a splash of creme or milk salted & peppered to taste.

Similar to yours except skip the eggs and use chopped up chicken. (I know then its chicken salad) grin
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Everybody takes "guys" differently. I put out an e-mail because the retiree's meet once a month for coffee. Always headed it "Retired Guys Coffee" When one of the females retired I changed it to Retired Person's Coffee. She was mad and would not attend until I changed it back to Guys.
Old retired farts sounds good to me.
That would work also.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/25/14
The same way I make potato salad (eggs, relish, mayo, etc).
Last batch I made I added a can of tuna and some lemon juice. Tasty! Cris's chicken idea sounds good too. I'll try that next time.

PS,,, my best friend growing ups mom added small shrimp. It was great.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/25/14
My dad makes the best...he won't give me the recipe! Better be in the will that's for sure.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/25/14
Macaroni, mayo to taste, 2 cans of tuna, a small jar of olives chopped, tablespoon or two of sweet pickle relish, celery salt, salt, and black pepper.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/25/14
I suppose using Miracle Whip is out of the question�.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Depends on what you want to use it for wink

I am one cyber-blushing MoFo right now!�... blush blush
I am one cyber-blushing MoFo right now!�... blush blush

Imagine the possibilities, all your wildest dreams come true, you could live them, feel them, taste them, explore every last detail of every last desire you have ever had, yours for the taking....
Quit it! cry

Its been a loooooong time since a 'taste test'�... frown
Quit it! cry

Its been a loooooong time since a 'taste test'�... frown

I am sorry, I will stop now frown

I am a woman who is very, uhhhhhhhh, well, I like to,
ummmmmmmmmmmm, and well, never mind, sorry....
There was this one time at band camp with a bottle of Champagne,a tray of ice cubes and�.

Well, you get the picture�.
There was this one time at band camp with a bottle of Champagne,a tray of ice cubes and�.

Well, you get the picture�.

Been there, done that, brought the body chocolate and the red licorice whips cool
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/25/14
Hey !!!! dis izza fambly joint youse two
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/25/14

pretty much the same except I use the very small ring macaroni instead of elbow macaroni, and I add fresh green peas, a little bit of grated cheese, and leave out the sour cr�me and milk.

Posted By: chris_c Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/25/14

Ok, I won't ram it down your throats like some one who hopefully left did, but I grew up on miracle whip and have tried mayo. Use it for some things but prefer MW. However keep reading that Dukes is the best and if I can ever try it I will.

Confession over.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
The same way I make potato salad (eggs, relish, mayo, etc).
Last batch I made I added a can of tuna and some lemon juice. Tasty! Cris's chicken idea sounds good too. I'll try that next time.

PS,,, my best friend growing ups mom added small shrimp. It was great.

Now That sounds down right good and adding tuna has never crossed my mind. Thanks for the idea.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/25/14
macaroni salad is one of those dishes that does not really call for a recipe.
We have become way to 'recipe' dependent. Just put some stuff together, and voila, you have it. Guess it all starts with cooked and drained macaroni though. laugh
Posted By: chris_c Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/26/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
macaroni salad is one of those dishes that does not really call for a recipe.
We have become way to 'recipe' dependent. Just put some stuff together, and voila, you have it. Guess it all starts with cooked and drained macaroni though. laugh

Just what we do here, each one is similar, but not the same. Sometimes chicken, sometimes tuna, with, without peas. Throw and go.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/27/14
I take a lb of two of three color pasta, cook it, then cool it off, then I had diced green, yellow and red peppers along with some red onion, black olives toss with my own Italian dressing, that is the base pasta salad, from there I been know to put things like grilled steak chicken or what ever left over fish I may have, everybody that ever had some ate it all and then some! its how I use up left overs, Italian sausage goes well with it, salt and pepper to taste, I use a good bit of fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese in mine. No trick to it, I just make it the night before and its always better the next day!
Posted By: jmillo Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/28/14
Cubes of salami, pepperoni and cheddar cheese with chopped cherry peppers mixed in elbow macaroni dressed with Italian dressing is my favorite. I don't have a specific recipe tho.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/28/14
heres one.

cooked elbow mac
mayo
Celery salt
yellow mustard
boiled eggs
finely diced onion
chunks of salami, cheddar and ham

mix well, refrigerate overnight to blend flavors and right before the party, throw it in the garbage cause nobodies gonna eat it anyway.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/28/14
Originally Posted by rem141r
heres one.

cooked elbow mac
mayo
Celery salt
yellow mustard
boiled eggs
finely diced onion
chunks of salami, cheddar and ham

mix well, refrigerate overnight to blend flavors and right before the party, throw it in the garbage cause nobodies gonna eat it anyway.

send it here I'll eat it. grin
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: Macaroni Salad ? - 07/28/14
I have to admit that macaroni salad is the only dish that I will use Miracle Whip for...but since I never have it on hand, I use mayo. Macaroni salad ends up being a little sweet, so the sweetness of Miracle Whip is not so bad. I usually use the small "salad macaroni," mayo, sweet relish, black pepper, minced onion and add a little grated carrot for color. Then I lice hard-boiled eggs on top and a few dashes of paprika for still more color. Just like Mom used to make.
© 24hourcampfire