Home
Posted By: Esox357 Meat Grinder Recommendation? - 08/23/14
Looking for a decent meat grinder for processing my wild game. Primarily deer and hogs but did manage to get a black bear recently. Any suggestions on brands and price points.
Not a professional, but here's my .02 worth..

I bought one of these a few years ago from Northern Tool, just to see how difficult it was to do my own processing.

It's made in China, it's noisy and it's slow, but it has ground up 5-6 deer with zero problems. It paid for itself in "processing fees" after the first run. We will continue to use it until it falls apart and then probably upgrade..

My cousin is into processing a bit more than I, he purchased [b][color:#3333FF]Cabela's 3/4 hp[/color][/b] grinder.

It is head an shoulders above the cheap grinder I have.

It's fast and quiet, sounds like a sewing machine when running. I've only used it once, but highly recommend one like that if you can swing it...
I have been told that the newer ones might not be as good, but I bought the Northern Tool one probably 15+ years ago and have probably processed 15-20 elk and 20-25 deer and pronghorn with it without a hickup.

Cabelas has there cheap one on sale right now for $89,but I bet the Northern Tool is better. Try to look for one with metal gearing.
I picked up a Megaforce 3000, that was sold on ebay, about 3 Yrs ago. Coincidently, it was a dealer that was located in my hometown. He was nice enough to give me credit for the cost of shipping and some more off on the deal. The unit operates efficiently, powerfully and quietly and seems to be exceptional high quality in all regards. I paid less than 180 for it but can't remember exactly how much. You can still buy one for less than 200 shipped free. It handles anything I could reasonably ask it to do, with ease.-Mike
Posted By: djb Re: Meat Grinder Recommendation? - 08/23/14
I got the Northern Tool one a couple years ago and have no complaints. You'd have to spend considerably more to get a significant upgrade.
Thanks guys,

I will be looking into the Northern Tool.
Bro in law and I both have the 3/4hp cabelas grinder. I picked up a 1hp in the cabelas bargain cave for dad. No complaints with any and they all get a workout. Brother in law (and family ) gets a handful of deer a year , an elk a year , usually a couple butcher pigs , and even an angus bull that was down in the back. Quite the workout.
1 h/p cabelas works great, ground many a deer and elk.
Seem like all good grinders. I do like that the Megaforce comes with all the attachments? Midway for price point as well? Hmmm?
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Meat Grinder Recommendation? - 08/24/14
I have been extremely happy with my LEM grinder that I have owned for a few years. Mine is .35 HP stainless model (bought on sale for about $275.00), and unless you are going to be doing production butchering it will handle just about anything in grinding. I like the LEM sausage stuffers as well. I have the 5 pound one and it works very well, although I wish I would have purchased the 10 pound one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&am...b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4lgy43pw4e_b
I wait until after Xmas when cabelas has their big grinder sales, I picked up a 1 HP version last year.
My brother bought a commercial one at a used restaurant sales store and it easily handles anything. Was pretty cheap as I recall it was less than $150 and more than 1 horsepower. Such a store might be a place for you to look for a really good machine at a good price.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Not a professional, but here's my .02 worth..

I bought one of these a few years ago from Northern Tool, just to see how difficult it was to do my own processing.

It's made in China, it's noisy and it's slow, but it has ground up 5-6 deer with zero problems. It paid for itself in "processing fees" after the first run. We will continue to use it until it falls apart and then probably upgrade..

My cousin is into processing a bit more than I, he purchased [b][color:#3333FF]Cabela's 3/4 hp[/color][/b] grinder.

It is head an shoulders above the cheap grinder I have.

It's fast and quiet, sounds like a sewing machine when running. I've only used it once, but highly recommend one like that if you can swing it...

Ditto on the cabella's 3/4 hp grinder. I bought one years ago and I have put a dozen deer thru it with no hiccups. Made lots of sausage, bologna, summer sausage, burger and jerkey. It is a bit pricy but catch it on sale and it will pay for itself in 3 hunting seasons and you will always know the quality of the meat your getting, and that it is actually "your deer" you are eating.
Posted By: Lorin Re: Meat Grinder Recommendation? - 09/19/14
i picked up one of the inexpsensive Northen tool ones as well years ago. I processed 13 deer with it before the plastic gear broke. picked up another just like it. Managed to pick the last one up for $49
I'm pretty old-school...call it $150 and no gears to worry about getting chewed up

wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: Meat Grinder Recommendation? - 09/19/14
Details?
shamelessly stolen from this guy at sausagemania.com

basically a #22 SS manual grinder + 13" flywheel + 1/2HP 1700 RPM motor

the pillow block with 1.5" and 4" pulleys reduce grinder RPM to right about 80

not shown in the pic is a deadman's switch (foot pedal)

it's basically unbreakable
Posted By: 4ager Re: Meat Grinder Recommendation? - 09/19/14
Much obliged.
I've got 2 elk, 4 deer, and 2 antelope through mine.
I cut up and process at least 3 deer a year. I have been using a #32 hand grinder for the last 20 years. It will last a lifetime
And the motor won't stop when you have a boned out deer ready to grind up. They cost about 100 dollars and are more work but completely reliable.
When I had a moose permit in 2005 we picked up Cabela's largest model commercial style grinder... It was wonderful.. Haven't used it much since that moose.. Lots in life has changed, and haven't done my own stuff since that time.. I sure would look at that model.. But I am sure there are many others out there that are just as good..
Posted By: Owl Re: Meat Grinder Recommendation? - 09/26/14
I like the grinder- Have thought about it my self- By the way, I grew up in "O" town of you're talking Ogden.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I cut up and process at least 3 deer a year. I have been using a #32 hand grinder for the last 20 years. It will last a lifetime
And the motor won't stop when you have a boned out deer ready to grind up. They cost about 100 dollars and are more work but completely reliable.

I've got a #8 hand crank model as a back up for the northern tool electric. I used it for a few years, and it isn't that bad if you're just doing one deer at a time. I'm sure I could get through an elk with it, but I'd rather not. Pretty sure mine was under $20.
I was actually looking for a venison chili recipe w/ fresh roasted green chili's, but I use a food processor for burger. I take out a small roast, cut it up into cubes when half frozen, drop that in the processor with the blade, add some olive oil and let 'er rip. I just grind what I need at the time (but I also cook for one or two, sometimes a crowd). So far, this works fine for deer and elk.
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I'm pretty old-school...call it $150 and no gears to worry about getting chewed up

wink

[Linked Image]

That is perfect! What a great little set up!

Where'd you source the hardware for the pillow block and the motor?
looks like a great set-up but that open pulley concerns me a little maybe a shield or cover could be made for it..........
UtahLefty;
Thanks for the link on the grinder specs sir and of course top of the morning to you and your fine family.

We went a bit of a different route when we fabricated power to our manual #22 grinder in that we drive it with a Browning or Lovejoy type coupler from directly behind it.

That does mean another shaft needs to be mounted and the unit size increased so that might be a factor.

The reason we went that route instead of installing a pulley directly onto the grinder shaft is that it eliminates side loading of the shaft.

Admittedly I tend towards overbuilding the stuff I fabricate, but my concern was inducing wear into the grinder housing as there's no bushing in ours - just the grinder shaft running in the cast grinder housing.

One could ream the grinder housing and install a bushing sleeve I suppose too - we did consider that route as well.

Anyway, whether one is doing a direct drive or pulley as you've done, I'd strongly recommend liberally lubricating the shaft/grinder housing with petroleum jelly to reduce friction/wear. Now that I think about it, plain old lard or vegetable shortening might work OK as a lube too, but we've never tried it.

Finally I'd second the poster who suggested a pulley guard since it seems that "stuff" happens to me - especially if I'm tired.

Hopefully that was useful information to you or someone out there this morning Matt.

All the best to you folks and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne
Shields are always a good thing.
I only takes the one time.
Hi Dwayne-

I'm guessing you are still using the pulleys to reduce RPM? Are you using a second pillow block to hold the flywheel directly behind the grinder shaft?

A garage door opener seems like a good fit for this type of project!
Posted By: LFD Re: Meat Grinder Recommendation? - 10/13/14
I use # 32 hand grinder good for 2 deer a year. With grand sons its quick by myself juat a little longer.Make hamburger and pan sausage. Works great
© 24hourcampfire