Home
Sweet? Sweet gherkins? Dill? I've got a picnic salad recipe that needs them.
As I knew them growing up they are a mildly sweet sliced pickle.
Here's ya a recipe. Must be a southern thing because everybody around here makes them.

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/21166/bread-and-butter-pickles-ii
Just go buy a jar. Dills and B&B are about the only kinds of pickles you can find most places.
OK! Why are they called bread and margarine pickles...?
Why is knife not spelled nife? Who gives a %uck, they're delicious! Call them a cat turd and I'll still eat them. Not as sweet as a sweet pickle and not as tangy as a good dill. I don't know this for a fact, but it might come from the depression era when my grandparents were married. They would eat almost anything on a slice of bread and butter. Pickles, cucumbers, radishes, etc. When you don't have meat, you make other things work.

Mike
but it might come from the depression era when my grandparents were married. They would eat almost anything on a slice of bread and butter.

I don't think that's it...
If you know, why'd you ask?

Mike
Margarine got to his head...
According to egullet.com, bread and butter pickles are named such because during the Depression, they were as regular a part of a diet as bread and butter. The difference between bread and butter pickles and sweet pickles is just a few ingredients. Sweet pickles use cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in a vinegar-sugar brine. Bread and butter pickles are made with turmeric. mustard, and onion in a vinegar-sugar brine. I looked for a definitive answer from some kind of pickle-expert, but wasn't able to find one. It seems as though the history of the name of Bread and Butter pickles is carried on through tradition
Are they ever made "whole"? I've only ever seen them sliced across.
the old family recipe I use calls for them to be sliced. The recipe also allows that they can, and were, made as often from green tomatoes as from cukes.
The recipe calls for thin sliced onions, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard, ginger, tumeric, mace and red pepper.
Well, they sound good...
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
If you know, why'd you ask?

Mike

Just kidding...looks like that's it...
all I know is... they taste good .....pass the pickles please!
I love Dill pickles, but B&B are my favorite. I could sit an eat an entire jar!
I won't touch a b&b pickle. Give me spicy, garlicky dills, preferably from these folks. They make a lot of good stuff.

http://www.kruegermann.com/products/products.html
I like those, too, but I did pick up some B&B pickles today. They are delicious and I recognize the flavor, but it would have to be from when I was a kid.
Y'all ought to try bread n butter jalape�os! Dang good!
My wife makes killer bread and butter pickles. Once a jar is opened it's life span is measured in minutes.
B&B sammies are regular TV snack for us.

Our big yellow lab Max loves them.
Hah! 284, that's a riot!
Made a miserable mistake...

Bought a store-brand jar of B&B spears. Tried a few and noticed a distinctive crappy flavor. Checked the label...contains "sucralose"...artificial sweetener... mad
Originally Posted by sse
Well, they sound good...

some are better than others...was an older gal around here that made ones that i thought were two or three steps above any other.....she never would tell me her recipe and has since passed on cry
Folks around here make bread and butter pickles sliced with onions in the jar. They are outstanding. Store bought never have onions.
My mom has made them forever. I dont have her recipe, probably should get it.
Bread and butter pickles are just a recipe for a sweet sour pickle. They got the name "bread and butter" during the great depression when fresh cucumbers were eaten for lunch with bread and butter, and a cheap source of what was considered a vegetable back in the day.

I'm not a fan myself but the wife loves them. I'm more of a dill pickle or spicey pickle guy.
Since I've started eating them, love 'em...homemade would have to be great.
© 24hourcampfire