Home
Guys, I've got the hungries for a good thick ribeye goin' on and I'm wondering what's your favorite way you prepare them prior to cooking.

Will be cooking mine over an open fire.

Thanks in advance.
Salt and pepper
Really hot fire. Salt and pepper when it's finished. Anything more means that you don't like the taste of ribeye. smile
I rub some Olive oil on the meat, and then some Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Hey, just noticed that was my 44,000 post. smile
Put them on a plate and let them warm for a good while, 45 min. or so, before you cook them. About twenty minutes before cook time, dust them on both sides with coarse sea salt.

Cook them over a hot fire to your desired degree of doneness. If that's past medium rare, you are a Philistine.

Take them off the heat, put them on a plate and give them a few liberal grinds of coarse black pepper. Tent them with foil and let them rest several minutes.

Serve and chow down.
Originally Posted by mathman
Put them on a plate and let them warm for a good while, 45 min. or so, before you cook them. About twenty minutes before cook time, dust them on both sides with coarse sea salt.

Cook them over a hot fire to your desired degree of doneness. If that's past medium rare, you are a Philistine.

Take them off the heat, put them on a plate and give them a few liberal grinds of coarse black pepper. Tent them with foil and let them rest several minutes.

Serve and chow down.

Agreed, do this with a prime cut ribeye and you'll think your'e eating at a gournet steak house.
Costco sells some beautiful 2" thick ribeyes. Last pair I cooked in a large cast iron skillet after brushing with olive oil and a light coat of Montreal Seasoning.

Pre heat the skillet in a 500� oven. Pull it out when smoking hot and place on stovetop on high.
Set the steaks on the skillet, fat edge down first.
Rotate edges to brown evenly.
When edges are browned, set on flat side for 3 minutes.
Turn over and cook for another 3 minutes.
Place steaks on a cutting board.
Place foil over steaks and a warm towel to retain some heat.
These steaks will be rare as hell which is exactly how I like them.

The cast iron skillet method is quick and easy and delicious!

I love charcoal grilled steaks too. I'll sear the steaks over a 700�+ fire on the Big Green Egg.

On grill, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Pan seared, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper with a red wine mushroom sauce.
Over Mesquite coals. Dust lightly with garlic salt and Adolph's seasoned tenderizer. Remove from grill when done to your taste and rest for ~4 minutes. Living the good life.
Why use tenderizer?
I like to rub some garlic cloves that are crushed over the ribeye in question and then put kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper on each side and throw it on a hot grill. rare to med rare is the way to go. Sometimes I use some Montreal steak seasoning instead of the above mentioned seasoning.

I think its very important to have your steaks up to room temp before they hit the grill. An hour or more on the counter before cooking does the trick.

Unless you burn the hell out of them I don't know that you can mess up a good ribeye though. The best cut of beef in my opinion
sit it out on a plate until it reaches room temp

a little salt and pepper mix that I call "gun powder"...

then toss it on the smoker at 175*

while that's doing it's thing, I start up the webber charcoal...

let the webber get hot hot hot

when steak reaches desired temp, pull it off the smoker and sear it on each side for 90 seconds on the webber....

wrap it in foil, let it rest for a bit, then serve...
Ribeye is a slice off of a rib roast.

I had another supurb one last night. It was tender, large and rare enough. They call it prime rib in restaurants.

What a treat. smile

[Linked Image]
The preparation is usually different though.
Spade meat rub.
Let set out at room temp in rub for 1hr. +
Grill til med rare or less.
Eat.
My taste does not enjoy the carbon burned flavor from high heat and say a charcoal grill.

I like the juicy rare tender beef.
Prime rib is great, but ribeye steak preparation was the question.
That was my answer Mathman.

Leave it in the rib roast.

I am going to have another one tomorrow night.

cool

[Linked Image]
yeah, wife and I love a little bit of crusty charcoal flavor on the surface and juicy rare deliciousness inside.
"Spade L Ranch" seasoning and cooked on a charcoal grill. Take them out of the cooler, season, let stand for a while and then slap on a hot grill.
Originally Posted by Dude270
I like to rub some garlic cloves that are crushed over the ribeye in question and then put kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper on each side and throw it on a hot grill. rare to med rare is the way to go. Sometimes I use some Montreal steak seasoning instead of the above mentioned seasoning.

I think its very important to have your steaks up to room temp before they hit the grill. An hour or more on the counter before cooking does the trick.

Unless you burn the hell out of them I don't know that you can mess up a good ribeye though. The best cut of beef in my opinion

This!
+evoo
I just put black pepper and garlic powder to taste then grill over Mesquite coals until Medium Rare. Always let it "rest" for 4 or 5 minutes before eating.

Any steak cooked more than medium rare is a total waste of a good steak!

I can eat them rare, but most friends or family I cook for are to big of wusses to see a rare steak on my plate.
Well, I am going to jump in here with a couple of answers. First, I always grill my steak to a medium rare or maybe a little less. Wife likes hers between medium rare and medium. A good quality steak gets salt, pepper and a pat of butter. Lesser quality that I sometimes get if the price is right, gets marinated for a couple of hours in Dales seasoning, then grilled. I seldom add anything else to it. I eat a lot of steak because I like it, and I know how to cook it the way that I like it, and the wife likes it when I cook, outside and not in Her kitchen. miles
Preference?

Knock the horns off, run a candle under it, and put it on a plate.

Rubs and spices are OK, but I'd just as soon have one plain.
Why use tenderizer?

It was more for the seasoning than the tenderizer. I just like the flavor.
If you watch the 'american test kitchen' show they teach this trick that works extremely great.

Take the stakes and rub course salt on them, then leave them laying in the fridge un covered and not stacked up for at least 20 minutes and then put a light coat of what ever you want - put some oil, then pepper I don't use anything else.

What this does - It dries out the surface which enables you to get a good crust on the outside of the steak. If you don't do this then the water boils out of the surface while you are trying to cook it and you don't get a good crust.

So if you want your steak to taste like a nice aged steak this is the way to go.
Can't beat it IMO.
You guys and your ribeyes... Killing me!!!!

I'm going to send you all some "Salisbury steak" from Djibouti!! lol. sick
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
On grill, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Pan seared, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper with a red wine mushroom sauce.

I'm surprised that Rancho is the only one that's mentioned fresh cracked pepper. Cracked pepper is very unique in flavor and ground pepper, even coarse ground, is not the same.

The way I crack pepper is put whole peppers in a coffee filter, fold it over several times, and beat it with meat tenderizer (basically a hammer). Leave it kinda chunky.

If you've never done it ... give it try.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I rub some Olive oil on the meat, and then some Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

This. I put a very light sprinkle of garlic powder on mine. Grill very hot over mesquite (no gas!), and rest for 15 minutes...

I'll also make a garlic butter that I'll sometimes melt on top -
Wife and I just had the best ribeyes we ever ate.

They came from a local butchershop and were free range, then grain "finished" (nice and marbled)

We rubbed them with Traeger prime rib rub, then let them sit for a half hour, then put them on "smoke" for a half hour. Pulled 'em off and turned the BBQ to high, let it get to temp. Then seared each side for about 3 minutes.

Yum Yum!!!! Virgil B.
Here's how I do it.

Mike
Watched this on the tube a few days ago which prompted my current hunger pangs and this thread.

Will call my butcher today or tomorrow as I'm jonzin' baaaad. laugh

http://www.blossomfestival.org/steak-cook-off/

Interesting blend of techniques, ingredients and equipment.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
That was my answer Mathman.

Leave it in the rib roast.

I am going to have another one tomorrow night.

cool

[Linked Image]

Hit and run Don with his web pics.... laugh

Better than that would be some German knockwurst or Japanese tempura wink
Did you mean: German bockwurst?

[Linked Image]

Tonight's dinner...Jakes steak rub and on to the BGE
[Linked Image]
Oh hell yes!!

Mike
Did you mean: German bockwurst?

[Linked Image]

No peeker I meant what I posted...why put someone on ignore if you are going to read it anyway putz...
damnit stuck in a hotel, no grill on this trip. I do have a kitchen, a nonstick skillet and an oven.....Is there any way I could do a ribeye justice tonight?
Remember the steaks in, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"?

Just season as you like, and burn it in the pan.
And, call me when supper's ready!
sorry I haven't seen that one.
Just sear on both sides till they are done to your liking.
I can eat a good fried steak.
will give it a shot. thank you
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Ditto!
George, that looks mighty worthy. It looks like you've got those BGE's down!

I had another supurb one last night. It was tender, large and rare enough. They call it prime rib in restaurants.

What a treat. smile

[Linked Image]

Really???? Everyone here thought Rib-eyes come from the rear legs
Originally Posted by gitem_12

What a treat. smile

[Linked Image]

Really???? Everyone here thought Rib-eyes come from the rear legs

The rib eye or ribeye (also known as Scotch fillet in Australia and New Zealand) is a beef steak from the rib section. The rib section of beef spans from ribs six through twelve. Ribeye steaks are mostly composed of the Longissimus dorsi muscle but also contain the Complexus and Spinalis muscles
Little b it of Montreal steak seasoning and garlic powder while warming to room temp. Throw on a very hot grill for one min, flip and go two min on that side, then move to to rack til done as you like. I will brush with some oil before putting them on the grill.
Marinade in a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce for a couple of hours letting the steak come to room temp. Sear on both sides for about 4 minutes and season with Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Let rest for 10 minutes. Enjoy.
Oh for God's sake, its MEAT.

Build fire, get stick, eat.
Originally Posted by RWE

EGAD! Watch out Lovey, he's probably a Yale man.

Thurston Howell III
Originally Posted by RWE

EGAD! Watch out Lovey, he's probably a Yale man.

Thurston Howell III

laugh laugh laugh

Serve and chow down.

Every time. Just substitute NY Strip for Ribeye and all is good.
Originally Posted by Raeford

Serve and chow down.

Every time. Just substitute NY Strip for Ribeye and all is good.

I've found it a bit more difficult to find as nice a strip steak compared to ribeye, but when I can get the right one I prefer a NY strip too.
Ribeye
Porterhouse
NY Strip a distant 3rd
I have yet to meet a cut of beef I did not like.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Ribeye
Porterhouse
NY Strip a distant 3rd

i agree 100%
More than half of a Porterhouse is NY strip.

And like I wrote earlier, it's not just any strip I consider better than a ribeye. But when I get "the right one" it is.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Ribeye
Porterhouse
NY Strip a distant 3rd

i agree 100%

Yep.

Mike
1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup water, montreal steak seasoning, 4 or 5 shakes of balsamic vinegar.

Cook medium rare.

Compliment with A1 Bold and Spicy; Life is Good!
A1?

Dang heathen. grin
Betcha he puts ice in his scotch.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Ribeye
Porterhouse
NY Strip a distant 3rd

i agree 100%

Yep.

Mike

A few people agreeing doesn't make it right. grin
Originally Posted by RWE
Betcha he puts ice in his scotch.

Adds Pepsi too. grin
diet.
Ribeye
Porterhouse
NY Strip a distant 3rd

Bone in rib.
Ribeye.
Porter house.
Flat Iron.
Flank.
....then Strip/NY
Let the bashing begin. I like medium well.

At least I use real butter.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Let the bashing begin. I like medium well am a Philistine.

If philistine means i like my steaks cooked rather than just cut, then yep, I'm a philistine.

smile
sick

If philistine means i like my steaks cooked rather than just cut, then yep, I'm a philistine.

smile

Don't get me wrong. Ultra rare isn't my style either.

Medium rare is perfect
I could eat raw steak
Medium thru Well Done, I would feed to my dog( and she doesn't even like it that much)
Medium rare is perfect
I could eat raw steak
Medium thru Well Done, I would feed to my dog( and she doesn't even like it that much)

Agreed. If it doesn't taste like a nose bleed, it's too done. Sorry to here you treat your dog that way. wink

Mike
Rare-cool red center.
The animal has already been killed once, why do it again?
A1?

Dang heathen. grin

Dang straight, merciless when it comes to steak!
EVOO, dizzy pig cow lick steak rub or fresh ground pepper and sea salt, BGE at 600 with cast iron grate. Pull steak at 110* and let rest for 10 minutes
Don't eat them much preferring other cuts.
© 24hourcampfire