Home
Guys, I've been using this simple method for quite awhile and have found it to be very quick and versatile in that it works for all the cuts of meat that I enjoy cooking. Finally broke down and bought a Weber chimney but a piece of old stove pipe or even an old coffee can works quite well.
I prefer to use briquettes rather than lump in the chimney but that's just me. After searing meat just dump charcoal into your grill/smoker and finish to desired doneness.
There's a small learning curve in that a full load running wide open can turn a beautiful steak into a brick very quickly if you run off to answer the phone or,...

This ribeye was seared about 3 minutes per side and then finished in a 400 degree oven to 130 in a cast iron pan then covered with towels and rested to 145. YUM YUM YUM !!!
Sorry about the crappy pic.

[Linked Image]

Alton Brown used the same set up and method on tuna for a fast sear. Excellent idea.
For a really fast sear, point your leaf blower at the intake. I don't think these chimney's are intended to glow?
Yep.....that'll do it!!

Mike
Sear first and bake to temp, bake to temp and sear to finish. It all works. Just take that wonderful ribeye off at 120 and we can agree on a great job!!!
© 24hourcampfire