Home
Posted By: sse New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/25/14
New product...but expensive. If its not from China, I'm interested...

Finex USA
Originally Posted by sse
New product...but expensive.

Holy $hit, I'd say that's an understatement.

Mike
Yikes!! That's nice but not THAT nice. eek
I don't want a bunch of corners in a frying pan.
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/25/14
But, but...one of the sets comes with "one exclusive laser-cut American Cherry Wood Trivet"... shocked

I credit the guy for making a go of it. I bet he finds the niche market.
A guy could buy several classic cast iron pieces on eBay for that kind of scratch. If I was going to spend that kind of money on cookware I'd buy a couple more Le Creuset pieces. That stuff kicks a$$!!

Mike
That stuff is not only fuggly, it is STUPID spendy. They think way too much of their product.
I cook with my cast iron...I don't hang it on the wall!!
Posted By: Owl Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/26/14
I cook with cast everyday. Wagner Ware, Lodge, even Harbor Freight sometimes...

Wow, $270 for a 12' skillet ? I doubt they'll be around very long.
Originally Posted by Owl
I cook with cast everyday. Wagner Ware, Lodge, even Harbor Freight sometimes...

Wow, $270 for a 12' skillet ? I doubt they'll be around very long.

That's pretty cheap for a 12 foot skillet.
Originally Posted by sse
New product...but expensive. If its not from China, I'm interested...

I'm not.
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/26/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
That stuff is not only fuggly, it is STUPID spendy. They think way too much of their product.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Not saying I'm ordering any...after all, I buy store brand pickles...BUT, purchasing said designer CI, in concept, does bear a remarkable similarity to buying a thousand dollar grill... cool
"just sayin"
ABOUT FINEX

Founded in 2012, FINEX� Cast Iron Cookware Company is a small team of Portland-based perfectionists dedicated to making heirloom quality cast iron cookware in America for the first time in over half a century.

We believe one pan can tell a story. One pan holds an entire history of meals and memories. Twenty years, thirty years, even just one year, all imbued with flavors, experiments, laughter and conversations. It is a way of navigating life through food.

Your history is built one meal at a time.

Welcome to FINEX.
A little too spendy for this child. Guess I'll just stick with my Wagner, Lodge, Griswold, and Century cast iron stuff. wink

L.W.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
A guy could buy several classic cast iron pieces on eBay for that kind of scratch. If I was going to spend that kind of money on cookware I'd buy a couple more b]Le Creuset pieces. That stuff kicks a$$!![/b]

Mike

Snap-On........Kitchen style.
$270.00 crazy .........Holy Shamoleees!!!!!!!
I enlarged the picture of a skillet that is posted on their website. It looks like some extra work went into the finish of the bottom; not quite machined, but smoother than the cast surfaces.

So it appears to be a good quality item with a goofy shape and the crazy price.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
A guy could buy several classic cast iron pieces on eBay for that kind of scratch. If I was going to spend that kind of money on cookware I'd buy a couple more b]Le Creuset pieces. That stuff kicks a$$!![/b]

Mike

Snap-On........Kitchen style.

$270.00 crazy .........Holy Shamoleees!!!!!!!

Thinking the NYC crowd that go to the "farm" in Connecticut on the week-ends to feel folksy will be buying their products.

I'll stick with my very small Griswold collection.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Thinking the NYC crowd that go to the "farm" in Connecticut on the week-ends to feel folksy will be buying their products.

So, sse has a farm? wink
I wouldn't touch those with a 10' pole for those crazy prices. I am fortunate enough to own 3 Griswold cast iron skillets. An 8, 9, and a 14. The 8 and 9 I bought off fleabay for $61 and $69, respectively. Picked up the #14 off craigslist for $170 from a guy who did pizza competitions with it. All three are almost a hundred years old. They all cook extremely well, dispersing the heat evenly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Those look great. I'm dyin to know how you keep them so nice and clean, inside and out, and free of grit...
Originally Posted by ironbender

So, sse has a farm? wink

no

But, was thinkin, if someone gave one of these to me as a gift, I probably would not return it for the $$...
Posted By: add Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/26/14
[Linked Image]

Don't know about the upper pan shape (base is circular) but I do like what appears to be a longer handle and it's design Vs the Lodge - which is too short.
Originally Posted by sse

So, sse has a farm? wink

no

But, was thinkin, if someone gave one of these to me as a gift, I probably would not return it for the $$...

Sure, sure. And I suppose you don't live in NYC either.
do you always go a little crazy during the rut?

(P.S. I do know a member here who actually does live in NYS and actually is a sod buster...)
Originally Posted by add
[Linked Image]

Don't know about the upper pan shape (base is circular) but I do like what appears to be a longer handle and it's design Vs the Lodge - which is too short.

I love the appearance and design...
Originally Posted by sse
do you always go a little crazy during the rut?

Just a little. I blame all that testosterone.
Posted By: jpb Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/26/14
[Linked Image]

The round handle is hard to keep from turning in your hand when you tilt the frying pan to pour grease out, or to ease an omelet on to a plate, etc.

The most common cast iron frying pans here in Sweden have exactly that handle design, and I found how bad it was the first time I used one. frown

The handle below is much better -- although, as noted, longer would be better. Round is bad though -- these pans (with contents) are heavy, and hard to keep from turning in your hand when you least want them to!

[Linked Image]

John
The round handle is hard to keep from turning in your hand when you tilt the frying pan to pour grease out, or to ease an omelet on to a plate, etc.

Excellent observation, but can you be sure this particular product will have the same fault?
Posted By: jpb Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/26/14
Originally Posted by sse

Excellent observation, but can you be sure this particular product will have the same fault?

Well, I can't be sure since I have not used that particular pan.

I think that the octagonal shape would make for an awesome-looking cornbread for the table, so I do like that aspect! smile

However, combine a heavy cast iron pan with a round handle (lubricated a bit with grease spattered from frying bacon) and I have a hard time seeing how it would NOT want to turn in your hand. The one I used sure did!

John
Originally Posted by sse
Those look great. I'm dyin to know how you keep them so nice and clean, inside and out, and free of grit...

sse, It's not too hard. I basically follow Pan Man's recommendations, with a couple wrinkles of my own. I use bacon grease to season them and I also use copper scrubbies and a little mild dish soap with very little water to clean. If anything is caked on, I use a spoon as gently as possible to scrape it out. Then I pat them dry and ALWAYS re-season with bacon grease.

I was also very selective when I bought them. So, I wasn't dealing with crap to start with.

Word of caution: DO NOT buy from the "collector", "collectibles" websites. Their prices are ridiculously inflated. I've also found it not to a good idea to waste a lot of time chasing anything out of Kalifornussia. Owners there seem to think their pieces are gold encrusted.

If you're patient, you can find everything you need at a good price using ebay or craigslist. Here are a few examples of that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GRI..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4468dbac
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-7-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d24b16a20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-6-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2494e8a9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Griswold-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b585f1c0

Pan Man info:
http://www.panman.com/

http://www.panman.com/cleaning.html

http://www.panman.com/booksforsale.html

http://www.griswoldfamily.org/griswold_things.htm

I have a hard time seeing how it would NOT want to turn in your hand

Me too, unless its been designed not to do so...
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by sse

sse, It's not too hard. I basically follow Pan Man's recommendations, with a couple wrinkles of my own. I use bacon grease to season them and I also use copper scrubbies and a little mild dish soap with very little water to clean. If anything is caked on, I use a spoon as gently as possible to scrape it out. Then I pat them dry and ALWAYS re-season with bacon grease.

I was also very selective when I bought them. So, I wasn't dealing with crap to start with.

Word of caution: DO NOT buy from the "collector", "collectibles" websites. Their prices are ridiculously inflated. I've also found it not to a good idea to waste a lot of time chasing anything out of Kalifornussia. Owners there seem to think their pieces are gold encrusted.

If you're patient, you can find everything you need at a good price using ebay or craigslist. Here are a few examples of that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GRI..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4468dbac
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-7-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d24b16a20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-6-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2494e8a9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Griswold-..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58b585f1c0

Pan Man info:
http://www.panman.com/

http://www.panman.com/cleaning.html

http://www.panman.com/booksforsale.html

http://www.griswoldfamily.org/griswold_things.htm

Thanks, great stuff...

Truth be told, I've never paid that kind of $$ for CI. However, I may sell it for that kind of $$...LOL
Check the prices on new Lodge.
I know the Lodge products are really competitive...however, the retail of their DO's has risen precipitously of late...
A guy could buy several classic cast iron pieces on eBay for that kind of scratch. If I was going to spend that kind of money on cookware I'd buy a couple more Le Creuset pieces. That stuff kicks a$$!!

Mike

I'm with BOWHUNR on this one. I'm very happy with my Griswold's. At what I paid for them ($300), plus their dependability to give me the same results time after time, I'd buy more. The #14 I have is hard to find, but not impossible.

A nice Le Creuset French Oven would fit in really nicely in my kitchen!

Have you priced them lately? crazy
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/27/14
Those are pricey, too...can be had on ebay or at an estate sale if your in the right place at the right time...retail they are close to Finex in price.
I wanted an enamel DO and looked at both.

I went Lodge @ $40 on sale (prices have about doubled since). I think the La cruset was nearly $300.
Is it just the big ones that bring that kind of coin? I think I paid $6 for Griswald #5 I fried my eggs in this morning.

Have you priced them lately? crazy

Yes. They sure don't give them away!
Originally Posted by bucktail
Is it just the big ones that bring that kind of coin? I think I paid $6 for Griswald #5 I fried my eggs in this morning.

3 questions:
Is it a hundred years old?
What shape is it in?
When did you buy it?

Pretty much #5 and up are in demand in pristine condition. Also, part of consideration of value is presence of the heat ring, flatness of bottom, and logo, to mention a few.
Originally Posted by bucktail

3 questions:
Is it a hundred years old?
What shape is it in?
When did you buy it?

Pretty much #5 and up are in demand in pristine condition. Also, part of consideration of value is presence of the heat ring, flatness of bottom, and logo, to mention a few.

1. I got it at a garage sale, so I don't know how old it is, but I doubt that it's 100. The texture on the bottom is only worn smooth on the outside inch or so. It has a 724 and an H under the Erie PA stamp that is under the Griswold logo on the bottom if that means anything.

2. It's in good shape. Due to be seasoned again, but isn't warped or damaged in any other way.

3. I got it last summer.

It's flat and in good shape. Probably not pristine though. It has honest wear on the bottom and the handle.
bucktail, I'd say you done real good. $6 for that skillet is a steal, even if it's not pristine. You can fix that, pitting aside.
No pics, but I would suspect this one doesn't have the heat/smoke ring and is completely flat across the bottom.

To buy one elsewhere, such as fleabay, would run you at least $25, and up to around $75 tops. Although, some "collectors" ask much more, upwards to $150 or so. Saw a very nice #9 with heat ring sell for $201 recently on fleabay! It's just a matter of what the market will bear, and whether you have someone in a bidding war with you or not.
It's great to see.

As for the price, if they made Grisworlds today in the US like they did then, they'd be priced like that too.
The Lodge stuff is pretty good, but it still doesn't compare to the smoothness of the vintage Wagner and Griswold cast iron.

I scored a heck of a deal on a 12" Lodge camp oven at Academy Sports. It seems they're swapping to some cheaper china made cast iron brand, so there was a Lodge oven sitting on the shelf with no price. I brought it to the register and they sold it to me for $18.99 with a flanged lid.

Has anyone ever tried to smooth the finish on any of their cast iron using a soft disk or rubbing compounds?
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 01/22/15
Here's another company...located in France.

Staub
Posted By: EdM Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by gsganzer
The Lodge stuff is pretty good, but it still doesn't compare to the smoothness of the vintage Wagner and Griswold cast iron.

I scored a heck of a deal on a 12" Lodge camp oven at Academy Sports. It seems they're swapping to some cheaper china made cast iron brand, so there was a Lodge oven sitting on the shelf with no price. I brought it to the register and they sold it to me for $18.99 with a flanged lid.

Has anyone ever tried to smooth the finish on any of their cast iron using a soft disk or rubbing compounds?

What problem does the less than smooth finish cause?
The smoother the better.

I have some that have a 'sand-cast' look and others that have a machined appearance.

The smooth CI sticks a lot less.

The casting pores can get filled over time by seasoning, but it takes time.
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 01/23/15
LOL...CI mealy mouf
Huh?
Looks well made.....over priced and gimmicky to boot.

The fuggtards in Portland will love 'em.
I just checked out there site. They are sold out and trying to catch up on orders. I say good for them!!! They are an american family trying to make a go of it and are getting successful with it!
Here is an American Company....

http://www.macaovens.com/history.htm

Made in Utah.

Mark

OOOOooooopppppsssss............ they discontinued their line of D.O.'s.
and those were made in India?
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 02/25/15
Never heard of this seasoning product before...

Crisbee Puck
Gimick.
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 02/26/15
Apparently doesn't smell like oildoes after storage, plus it doesn't smoke up and smell as much during the seasoning bake...pluses, if true.
I've never thought of bees wax as edible!
Posted By: add Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 02/26/15
That combo would be easy to make at home.
I'd guess at least a 60/40 beeswax to oil.

Melt in a pan above boiling water and let cool to a cake.

Wasn't Flax seed oil tested out to be the best for cast iron seasoning?
Originally Posted by sse
Here's another company...located in France.

Staub

We have 2 of these Dutch Ovens.

They are superb !
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 05/20/15
Here's another, from AU

Solidteknics
Posted By: jpb Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 05/20/15
Originally Posted by sse
Here's another, from AU

Solidteknics

Now that looks interesting!

Thanks for posting the info, SSE

Here is a video from that site for those of you who want a single click to see if it is worth any more time:

John
Originally Posted by add
That combo would be easy to make at home.
I'd guess at least a 60/40 beeswax to oil.

Melt in a pan above boiling water and let cool to a cake.

Wasn't Flax seed oil tested out to be the best for cast iron seasoning?

Flax is supposed to be good, used it on several pans with great results
Flax seed oil is what I'm using now. Seems to produce a harder and more durable coating.
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 05/20/15
Everything I've read says the same. Maybe sometime I'll clean up a skillet real well and try it.
Posted By: add Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 05/21/15
Originally Posted by sse
Here's another, from AU

Solidteknics

Great improvement to cast iron design.

Not much for US distributing yet.
$130 for the 10"
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/21/15
Don't know if we can live without one of these...

i already know mindbender cannot
Posted By: Owl Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 09/24/15
I think I'll stick to watching craigslist for older Wagner Ware.

Can't beat it with a wet noodle...
Originally Posted by sse
Don't know if we can live without one of these...

i already know mindbender cannot

Pass.

Don't think I want to ingest beeswax.
Originally Posted by Owl
I think I'll stick to watching craigslist for older Wagner Ware.

Can't beat it with a wet noodle...

or better yet, Griswold!
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I don't want a bunch of corners in a frying pan.
i was thinking the same thing.

I have a Le Creuset orange 6" skillet that I use specifically for my daily egg sandwich makings. That little skillet has fed me well more times than I can count. I like Le Creuset stuff. I'll buy more soon.

Also have a Griswold 1908 Waffle Iron. Makes perfect waffles every time.

Like "local dirt" said, you can find the goodest stuff on Ebay.

The only difference is that they machine the surface flat.

I picked up a couple disc brake hones, and machined a couple of new lodge pans, the are slicker than my 25 year old pans.
Originally Posted by Reloder28

A nice Le Creuset French Oven would fit in really nicely in
love my creuset

get good deals on sale

my kitchen!

I have a Le Creuset orange 6" skillet that I use specifically for my daily egg sandwich makings. That little skillet has fed me well more times than I can count. I like Le Creuset stuff. I'll buy more soon.

Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Reloder28

A nice Le Creuset French Oven would fit in really nicely in
love my creuset

get good deals on sale

creuset makes good product

my kitchen!

Gimmicky yuppee [bleep] IMO. The goofy shape is to sell to the unsuspecting, and serves no purpose. I'll stick with the Griswold I inherited from mom, who inherited it before me.

Jeff
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 05/31/16
Here is another...Looks like it's just getting started.

Stargazer Cast Iron
Posted By: Owl Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 05/31/16
$80 for a polished piece of cast is a lot cheaper than $250 for an odd ball shaped frying pan.

Polished looks nice.
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 05/31/16
It looks like that skillet is their only product, with a availability in a few months.
Dumbassz name and would not pay them the $8 for the so-called "seasoning".

On the bright side, the polish does look nice.

Buy some and report back, K?
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 06/01/16
Sure will...
...waiting
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 06/02/16
patience is a virtue
And I am a heathen with no virtues! smile
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 06/02/16
well, we agree on somethin
Many feel that some of the finest cast iron cookware ever produced was the 'ERIE' or pre-Griswold iron. Used to find it pretty regularly at the markets here in PA, but over the years the supply has pretty much dried up. This 100+ year old cookware commands astonishing prices....
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 01/24/17
And... Here is another, Smithey

not cheap, either
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 06/21/17
Another
I'm happy to see that. I've been using an old Griswold skillet for cooking my breakfast for many years.
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 08/19/20

Get it while it's hot...

Smithey dirt cheap
not chinee covid cookware either
You can buy me the #12 combo set.
i don't think they take monopoly money
I couldn't wear out our skillets if I lived a hundred more years laugh

Carry on
Good lookin stuff
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 08/20/20
i have lids for most of my CI DO's, but none for the CI skillets...a CI skillet with a lid would be pretty handy
We bought a Lodge Dutch oven in 86 for maybe, 16 dollars? The lid gets worked harder than the oven by far.

We use it to broil.
some of the newer DO lids are even shaped like skillets
We have an aluminum Dutch oven in Wabigoon, a glass lid on that. It's fine, we have broken a couple of lids.
this may be the thread in which bender revealed himself to be in collaboration with the chinee...? not sure...LOL
Have a full set of Calphalon stainless, that rarely gets used, but the metal rimmed glass lids for them get used all the time on our cast iron. Fits great.
My arced Wagner (1895-1910) has been in the family a while. Don't think I need a 2020 model.
Originally Posted by sse
this may be the thread in which bender revealed himself to be in collaboration with the chinee...? not sure...LOL

GFY.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

‘Merica bish!

‘Merica bish!

k maybe not but it was fun reading some of the old posts... grin
All that weight makes me thing, "Walls of Jericho". laugh
Originally Posted by wabigoon
All that weight makes me thing, "Walls of Jericho". laugh

Don’t think that Sheetrock will hold it?
Originally Posted by sse

‘Merica bish!

k maybe not but it was fun reading some of the old posts... grin

Well, in full disclosure I do own a Lodge chinee-made enamel DO. That’s probably what you’re thinking of.

😂
Posted By: sse Re: New US Cast Iron Cookware Mfg - 08/21/20
where libel is concerned sometimes it helps to confuse the unsuspecting
© 24hourcampfire