Home
Posted By: wabigoon Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
Buy them, or make them, what do you like?
Posted By: byc Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
Buy them - boiled ham, olive loaf, summer sausage, chopped ham, top the list - sometimes Dutch loaf. (Just as long as nobody calls them "luncheon meat".)
On a serious note, I buy the small Boars Head tavern hams and turkeys and slice my own. They last longer and taste better. For really thin sliced "cold cuts" you're gonna need a bigger slicer.

I will say that a club sandwich is so much better if I smoke the meats myself. Much better than all that injected stuff.

I almost bought a Hobart last week. Wished I had kept one from my restaurant ownership days. BUT they are a PITA to keep clean.
Posted By: antlers Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
Sometimes buy good pepperoni, hard salami, smoked turkey, smoked ham, or smoked chicken.
and a good knife from antlers!! grin
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
Buy when I use them. Usually Boar's head ham of some type, P&P loaf and liverwurst. Don't know how to make liverwurst which I love and don't have the equipment to make it anyway. Prosciutto purchased when I need some.

AND of course BULK SPAM grin
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
Boar's Head is good which has me thinking of a great Italian style sub from Philly. YUM. !!! laugh

I have failed, however, in getting my vinegar and oil just right for that perfect ziiinnnggggg,.. when making them at home.

Suggestions ?
Denny! Add in some oregano, garlic and onion salt = DISCO!! The Boars Head sub oil is great.

Italian dressing will work in a pinch.
Thanks. Ordered some of their Deli dressing online a minute ago.
http://boarshead.com/products/condiments/788-deli-dressing

Hard to find some items here in my area of WV but we have great bakery in town so will be on the hunt for a nice big roll.

Glad to see you posting again.
Yup, that's it. Good stuff. Especially, with the Italian subs you mentioned.

Man, I might need to run to Publix at halftime now!! grin
Using what's in the pantry I mixed some white vinegar & EVOO with some oregano, crushed garlic and a dash of kosher salt a few hours ago. Stirred it a bit and it's coming along nicely.

Should be great in a few days. smile
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
buy of course. Stuff like that is very expensive to make, and very time consuming.
Kinda like making your own bread. From scratch. Growing the wheat and all. Just not worth the work.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
http://www.thewurstshop.com/

A friend who is a cousin to the owners turned me on to this place. Best head cheese, liver sausage and sausages I have ever had.
Posted By: sse Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
you mean the wurst?
Posted By: eh76 Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
No they were the best
Posted By: sse Re: Cold cuts. - 09/27/14
cool
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Cold cuts. - 09/28/14
I'm glad to see somebody else likes P&P. If you can find the good stuff, it is very good. I think it's Kretchmar or something like that.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Cold cuts. - 09/28/14
I can't think of a cold cut out there that I haven't liked....
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cold cuts. - 09/28/14
I buy a lot of a small ham called Kentucky Legend. It comes sliced or not and a honey ham and a double smoked. I like the double smoked, not sliced the best. It is actually a shoulder but they call it ham. Strange, one Walmart that I shop at only has the sliced and another only has the not sliced. Grocery store that I use sometimes has it and sometimes not. I manage to keep some around though. miles
Posted By: EdM Re: Cold cuts. - 09/28/14
I go with mortadella 90% of the time. That and a hard crusty chunk of bread with nothing more and all is good.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Cold cuts. - 09/29/14
Make mine capocollo and sopressata
Posted By: EdM Re: Cold cuts. - 09/30/14
I can do that too. Particularly like hot sopressata on my pizza.
© 24hourcampfire