Home
Posted By: rosco1 Canning - 10/23/14
A few weeks ago was my first attempt at canning, so this probly isnt any news to most of you.

I had half a deer from last year,4 of this years spring turkeys from several mid-western states, that i've hauled around the country with me till i got home in september,and part of a pronghorn from this year.

The turkey and pronghorn turned out awesome, and stood all on their own with no bullion or anything.

The deer I tried plain with nothing but water added, AU-JU (french dip mix), beef bullion,and tomato juice samples. It was edible but not all that good..Till i tried one of the four bottles that i filled with tomato juice and a teaspoon of beef bullion, holy chit it was good..all of my deer will be going in tomato juice from now on.

I browned the meat, i've read that you dont need to but it really wasnt a big deal.

So if you havnt tried pressuring deer meat with tomato juice, i highly recommend you give it a try.

Bottles from my first attempt (still had a batch on the stove when i took this)..Great way to clear out the freezer of last years leftover meat, IMO.

[Linked Image]

I have Eileen's "sausage season", but after reading it i just dont know that i'm that committed! Frikken sasage making is akin to rocket science to this cooking knuckle dragger..That and my first attempt was an epic fail, kitchen aids "stuffer" is a joke.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Canning - 10/23/14
we just add salt to meat and can. its not fancy but gives usage options. canned deer or beef was my mothers tv dinner. opened fried or made with gravy and noodles... you can make a meal out of nothing in minutes.
Posted By: sse Re: Canning - 10/23/14
interesting
Posted By: deflave Re: Canning - 10/23/14
Canning is the way to go.

Travis
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Canning - 10/23/14
Originally Posted by deflave
Canning is the way to go.

Travis

Amen,,, Have a friend over in Coos Bay who's mom goes down to the dock and buys fresh Tuna from the fishing boats and cans it.
I've had a hard time eating store bought every since she gave me my first jar.
Her canned Bear meat is pretty good too, and that's from someone who isn't crazy about eating Bear.
Posted By: deflave Re: Canning - 10/23/14
It's a miracle. Literally.

And once you get past the fugging around stage, it's about the most efficient and fast method you can use to get your venison put up.

Travis
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Canning - 10/26/14
I just did 7qts a week ago from an archery buck, 6 sealed-one didn't. That was dinner the next night!

I just got the canner last year, did a fair amount and it turned out great. I'll probably do another 6-12 qts this year yet.

Oh.......I put nothing in with it, just trimmed & cubed venison.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Canning - 10/28/14
I have about 5 gallons of moose sitting in a bucket to be turned into chili verde and plain canned moose 50:50 on Thursday. Will be going into retort bags instead of jars though.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Canning - 10/28/14
Have always used beef bouillion but will try some tomato juice next time around. My browned ground venison for easy chili and tacos has worked great. Some I seasoned, some I didn't. My wife's canned meatballs in tomato sauce have been my favorite probably though it is all good.
© 24hourcampfire