Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Peppers and such. - 10/23/14
Guys,it's a rainy, sucky, fuggin' day here in WV so I'm doing some thinking for next years garden and I'm planning on doing a substantial addition to my pepper garden.Could you recommend a few pepper varieties to add a southwestern flair to my table next year ?

Would like to try some drying & roasting as well if that helps.

TIA.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Peppers and such. - 10/23/14
Pablanos, I'm not a big fan of peppers but there are a few that I do like, pablanos being 1. I also like jalapenos and habaneros.

As a matter of fact, we're having baked stuffed pablanos this weekend and i'm really looking forward to it.
Posted By: Tim M Re: Peppers and such. - 10/23/14
throw some hatch chili's in there. pretty much the perfect pepper.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Peppers and such. - 10/23/14
Originally Posted by Tim M

Hatch is more of a regional designation to the area where the pepper is grown I believe rather than a variety of pepper.

Looking for seeds to purchase online thus my inquiry.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Peppers and such. - 10/23/14
Big Jim or Anaheim Denny.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Peppers and such. - 10/23/14
My favorite is cayenne. I like them canned and use the peppers and the juice (pepper sauce). The Pepper sauce is great on cooked greens and field peas. Back in my youth we lived on what we grew and a staple was field peas (purple hull, crowder, and others) that were dried. I did not like them but could tolerate them by doing as my Grandfather did. He would mash them and then stir pepper sauce in, and it was a big improvement. I like to eat the pickled peppers with certain foods, spaghetti being one and brown beans (pintos) another along with any type of cooked greens or cabbage. The past few years plants that are not hybrids are hard to come by and the hybrid is not as good. I like jalapenos for some things but my standby is cayenne. They can always be dried and ground for pepper flakes like at the pizza place. miles
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Peppers and such. - 10/23/14
Don't think you could go wrong with Ancho,Anaheim or Mexibelle a favorite which I haven't planted for two years.The Mexibelle is especially great when you let it ripen red and then grill...the natural sugars with a little heat do wonders for anything messican..
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Peppers and such. - 10/23/14
Mexibelle is new on my list Woody and I've found a source for seeds.

Thanks !!!

10-4 on the anaheims and big jims, Keith.
Posted By: Rgramjet Re: Peppers and such. - 10/24/14
Originally Posted by milespatton
My favorite is cayenne. I like them canned and use the peppers and the juice (pepper sauce). The Pepper sauce is great on cooked greens and field peas. Back in my youth we lived on what we grew and a staple was field peas (purple hull, crowder, and others) that were dried. I did not like them but could tolerate them by doing as my Grandfather did. He would mash them and then stir pepper sauce in, and it was a big improvement. I like to eat the pickled peppers with certain foods, spaghetti being one and brown beans (pintos) another along with any type of cooked greens or cabbage. The past few years plants that are not hybrids are hard to come by and the hybrid is not as good. I like jalapenos for some things but my standby is cayenne. They can always be dried and ground for pepper flakes like at the pizza place. miles

+1!

My gardening skills are horrible. The one plant I've had great luck with, is the cayenne!

I slice the peppers, put them in a mason jar and top off with apple cider vinegar. My family laughs at me every time I open the fridge to take a drink of the juice!

Love the cayenne!
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Peppers and such. - 10/24/14
Sounds like killer hangover remedy.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Peppers and such. - 10/24/14
I'm a fan of serrano peppers. The ones I've had produced gobs. Enough heat to be good but not enough to tear you up. One year we capped a bunch and seeded some, then dehydrated and ground up. Roasted some and put on pizzas.

I also like 'tame' jalapenos. Look like a regular jalapeno, have good flavor, but little to no heat.

I'm not to exotic other than the standards though.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Peppers and such. - 10/24/14
Gypsy peppers. Extremely sweet orange bell pepper. Great raw and stuffed. Fresno peppers, a little smaller and less heat than jalapeno. Great for pickling and salsas. Thai dragon, small pencil thin heat seeking missles! Banana wax pepper, great for salads, sandwiches, and pickling.

If you only take one of my suggestions, get the Gypsy.
Posted By: Tim M Re: Peppers and such. - 10/24/14
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by Tim M

Hatch is more of a regional designation to the area where the pepper is grown I believe rather than a variety of pepper.

Looking for seeds to purchase online thus my inquiry.

The most common hatch chili pepper is a NuMex 6-4 heritage variety. seeds can be had online at lots of seed vendors. i got mine from Sandia Seed Co. They'll have seeds for most any pepper you can think of.
Posted By: RNF Re: Peppers and such. - 10/24/14
I like the cow horn. A lot like a lot like a cayenne just larger and a softer skin.

http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/2011/08/garden-harvests-august-22nd.html

© 24hourcampfire