Home
Posted By: Ella offal - 10/30/14
We're on a kick of "trying everything once." And Mom gets mad when we throw out edible parts. eek

So we fried up some liver and grilled kidneys, heart and testicles.

I'd have bet against it, but the testicles were pretty darn good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tried some different marinades: terriyaki; garlic, onions, salt, olive oil; a pineapple, honey and cayenne mix. Terriyaki heart was the most popular. Did the liver based on a recipe posted here. Turned out pretty good though a few pieces could have used a little more time in the pan. Seems like there's a narrow window to getting them right.

Ella
Posted By: byc Re: offal - 10/30/14
uhhhh no! Not yet anyways.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: offal - 10/30/14
Like liver, hearts ok, ate kidneys out of puddin pot and liked, testicles would like to try. Used to eat fried brains and pickled tongue. The tongue is great, brains ok. Can you tell I grew up on and around Pa Dutch and Eastern Eastern decent farmers?

Posted By: add Re: offal - 10/30/14
Good on you, thanks for sharing.

But just looking at the skewer snaking through those nards makes me wince a bit...
Posted By: bucktail Re: offal - 10/30/14
I like heart and tongue, but liver tastes like liver. Never tried kidneys or nuts.
Posted By: Ella Re: offal - 10/30/14
The kidneys didn't taste like piss which was my worry. But they weren't a favorite. I had fried lamb's brains once. It was pretty good. We've got the tongue planned for Sunday. Anybody got a recipe?

Ella
Posted By: add Re: offal - 10/30/14
Originally Posted by Ella
The kidneys didn't taste like piss which was my worry. But they weren't a favorite. I had fried lamb's brains once. It was pretty good. We've got the tongue planned for Sunday. Anybody got a recipe?
Ella

First, slice it thin and cross-grained.

Saute lightly - garlic, onions, etc.

Do not over cook.
Posted By: eh76 Re: offal - 10/30/14
Rocky Mt oysters are da bomb! Tongue is veddy good too!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: offal - 10/30/14
I don't mind trying something new but that's organ overload right there.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: offal - 10/30/14
For the most part, offal is best described by its homophone.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: offal - 10/30/14
When I think of offal, It brings to mind the stench of it being cooked down at the local packing plant.

When you mention heart, liver and tongue etc, I think of delicacies that I hardly ever get a chance to eat.

There's a difference.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: offal - 10/30/14
back in the depression, and even when I was growing up poor, in the deep South, my family ate that chit.
I don't have to now, and dammit, I don't. laugh
Posted By: mathman Re: offal - 10/30/14
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I don't mind trying something new but that's organ overload right there.

That's what she said. grin
Posted By: rem141r Re: offal - 10/30/14
heart yes. the rest of it, only if i'm out on a bear gryls or some such endeavor.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: offal - 10/30/14
gag !!!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: offal - 10/30/14
you have to experience a proper pig killing. I have never tried chitlins, they are not done in my area, we used the intestines for sausage, but hog maw wasnt bad. my great aunt would make us crack the skulls to get her the brains of whatever we had killed.
Posted By: ironbender Re: offal - 10/30/14
The title reminded me of something.

All the meals i prepare are Uber. At dinner, I'd ask my kids if it was good, did they like it?

They would almost always say it was awful.

AWFUL GOOD, Dad!!!
smile
Posted By: Ella Re: offal - 10/30/14
Mannlicher,
In the same spirit, a few weekends back we had racoon and collards. It turned out pretty edible, but one guest commented it smelled like poverty in the south in the house, which wasn't all bad....

I think next time, I'm going to try a pie with kidneys if Ms. Lynn posts a recipe.

Ella
Posted By: MarlinMark Re: offal - 11/02/14
Sounds like the smell of poverty suits some folk.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: offal - 11/02/14
Tongue- I love it.

The Mexicans in the kitchen would blanch and peel it. Then braise it with onions and assorted spices. Salt, pepper, oregano, etc....

Chopped and on tacos with fresh pico!
Posted By: milespatton Re: offal - 11/02/14
I have eaten most of that except chitlins. I would, but never had the chance. When I was a kid, my Grandmother would cook both the melt and lungs of the pig soon after it was butchered. Called the lungs, lights. Melt tasted similar to liver but I can't remember the taste of the lights, except the texture was kinda spongy. When butchering pigs the liver from the first one was taken to the house and cooking started. Always had liver smothered in onions and biscuits and gravy. The tongue and tail was always boiled and eaten. On a young beef the sweetbreads are a delicacy. That is glands along the wind pipe either thyroid or thymus, not sure which. Mt. oysters came at another time as the butchering pigs had been castrated long ago. miles
Posted By: 5sdad Re: offal - 11/02/14
When I worked at Wilson's, we were not allowed to sell the lungs for human consumption. They went to a mink ranch. One can only imagine what the smell of that place must have been.
Posted By: milespatton Re: offal - 11/02/14
When I worked at Wilson's, we were not allowed to sell the lungs for human consumption.

This was back in the 1950's when my Grandmother was cooking and eating them. We raised and butchered our own pigs. Grandmother would eat most things. My Grandfather would catch possums live and put them in a chicken coop and fatten them up, then butcher them for Her. She also wanted Grinnel fish (bowfin) saved if you caught one. miles
© 24hourcampfire