Home
Posted By: Colorado1135 elk meatball recipe? - 12/03/14
anyone have a recipe for elk meatballs? my wife needs one for a work competition type thing.

thanks in advance!
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/04/14
anyone make meatballs?
Posted By: calikooknic Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/05/14
Just make meatballs. Maybe some extra fat, olive oil, or milk.
Posted By: eh76 Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/05/14
First you save the elk's balls......
Posted By: wabigoon Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/05/14
Back to serious business, I had the pleasure of enjoying sweet, and, sour moose meatballs with the shootest, and his wife last June.
If he rejoins the forum, I'll try to get him to share that recipe.
Richard lighten up!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/05/14
Nothin' I'd like better than it lighten up, I eat too well, too often.
This site is no help all.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/05/14
I've never made meatballs before...... of any kind.
anyone have a good recipe I can put elk in?
Go here http://www.yummly.com/ create an account using your email or facebook. Type in meatballs in the search function. be prepared to sort through recipes grin
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/05/14
Try this:

http://www.huntfishtalk.com/Video/elkMeatBalls.php

Posted By: EdM Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/06/14
Meat mix:
1 lb elk, 1 lb ground pork, 1 lb ground veal
1 lb pancetta or thick-sliced smoky bacon, finely minced
2 whole eggs
1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiana cheese
1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
8 garlic cloves, minced

Herb mix:
1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, 2 tbsp chopped oregano, 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
Combine above ingredients and mix well, kneading the mixture with your hands like dough.
1/3 cup fine, dry unseasoned bread crumbs
4 oz whole milk
1 tsp coarse salt
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Slowly add milk to bread crumbs, stirring until the mixture has the consistency of wet sand. Immediately add to the meat mixture, season with the salt and pepper, and mix well.

CRITICAL: To taste for seasoning, heat a small amount of canola oil in a small pan. When it's hot pinch off a bit of meat and fry in the oil. Remove with a spoon, taste, and correct seasoning, adding more salt if necessary. Refrigerate the meat mixture for about 30 minutes.

Canola oil for browning
12 cups good-quality tomato sauce, kept warm over low heat
Finely grated Parmigiano cheese, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape meatballs, preferably using an ice-cream scoop (see introduction). In a large skillet, heat about a quarter-inch canola oil until very hot. Working in batches, brown all sides of each meatball.

As they finish, transfer browned meatballs to a deep, ovenproof casserole. Cover meatballs with tomato sauce. (They must be totally submerged.) Place in oven and bake until well done, about 1 3/4 to 2 hours. When done, they should feel firm to the touch.

To serve: Spoon sauce over meatballs (2 or 3 per person), top with grated cheese, and pass crusty bread. Makes 25 to 30 meatballs.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/07/14
perfect! thanks guys! I'll let you know how they turn out!
Posted By: Whiptail Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/07/14

This is the recipe that I use.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/meatball-nirvana/

I use about 75% elk/deer/antelope and 25% beef.
Posted By: djb Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/07/14
I greatly prefer using milk soaked bread to the bread crumbs, especially for lean game. Also use just the egg yolks instead of the whites if you aren't using a lot of ground pork/beef. Pulse the meat /bread/herb mixture together in a food processor if you have one.

Another trick is to use sour cream in meatballs or meatloaf with straight game meat for moisture.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/16/14
well I decided to mix antelope, deer, elk, hog and beef in equal proportions. seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, italian seasoning and little rosemary.

after cooking at 400 for 25 minutes they were damn good. next came the sauce, which I realize is the other half of the equation.

cream of chicken and mushroom, brown gravy mix (just a touch) sour cream, pepper and rosemary with a dose of 2% milk and simmered just right. might not win the award, but it's damn good to me! might put a lil butter in there just for good measure. turned out pretty good!
Posted By: eh76 Re: elk meatball recipe? - 12/16/14
and you didn't call me? cry
© 24hourcampfire