Home
dammm, prices!! are out of control !! but its a once a year thing'e = yum! I'll be pm'ing a couple of you guys , as I owe a couple xmas presents here ! ...and I don't want your "prime meat" to taste just so-so > laugh
How rough is the tariff?
I hope to be making a prime rib roast for Christmas dinner! Already have some vagrant's aujus recipe wink
A pound of ground beef was 8.99 today. So it's pig burgers for supper.

The tenderloins I want for Christmas are better than a hundred bucks each.

Costco has a 12 pound prime rib for $1200. eek Some of that Hawaiian stuff.
I'm thinking I might try tackling my 1st prime rib during Xmas also! We'll see.
Do IT!!!

You have a ton of "eggsperience" here on the Fire so there should be absolutely NO excuses or problems!!
Originally Posted by byc

Tenderloin here is $15 a pound. Last one I got was prime and was under $10
Originally Posted by byc

I think you mean Japanese, wagyu beef. That shat is expensive!!
Yeah that one!! grin

[Linked Image]

D�Artagnan Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye Roast A-5 Grade

Compare product
Item #818183
Features:
Authentic Japanese Wagyu Beef
A-5 Graded
Ships Fresh Not Frozen
11 lbs minimum weight
$109.09 per pound
Product of Japan
Valid 11/21/14 to 12/21/14. While supplies last.
Online Price$1,499.99
Less-$300.00
Your Price$1,199.99
I wouldn't eat that if it were free. Afraid I might like it, and damm sure I'll never buy it.
Originally Posted by byc
Yeah that one!! grin

[Linked Image]

D�Artagnan Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye Roast A-5 Grade

Compare product
Item #818183
Features:
Authentic Japanese Wagyu Beef
A-5 Graded
Ships Fresh Not Frozen
11 lbs minimum weight
$109.09 per pound
Product of Japan
Valid 11/21/14 to 12/21/14. While supplies last.
Online Price$1,499.99
Less-$300.00
Your Price$1,199.99

that is ridiculous..........
you're rich! Buy it!! grin
spent my money on a barrel of bourbon wink
I want one tooooooooooooooo!!!

Actually, A sales guy here told me I could buy a barrel of Elmer T. Lee for 5K. Seriously thinking about it. Does that make me a drunk??? eek
that would be a good deal. and only if you don't share.
I am giving it serious consideration. When you coming???
I've got 5 bones of standing rib resting in the fridge downstairs. Been there 3 weeks already. Home aging.
Originally Posted by ringworm
I've got 5 bones of standing rib resting in the fridge downstairs. Been there 3 weeks already. Home aging.

ringworm..how much did the 5 bones weigh when you got it?
You could just throw yours outdoors in the snow for 3 weeks!! laugh
Yeah but the pups would get it....
I'm thinking it was 12 or so. Should shrink down about 20%.
Originally Posted by byc

Actually, A sales guy here told me I could buy a barrel of Elmer T. Lee for 5K. Seriously thinking about it. Does that make me a drunk??? eek

Nope. It makes you my best friend!!

Mike

Been wanting to try this for awhile. Assuming you wrap in cheese cloth and change every week or so? I was thinking about dry aging the whole tenderloins I have for 7 days.

Does the fridge have to be set at a different temp?

Also, is there any way to know that you've aged correctly and your end product is not going to make everyone sick all through the holiday's? I have to believe there's some foul odor during the aging process so what can you gauge a safe dry age exercise by?

Thanks
use a temperature probe in the prime rib, it will allow you to pull it when it is the temp that you want. It really helps......
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Originally Posted by byc

Mike

Oh we're definitely that. Just too bad that you live in the middle of no where!! cry
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by byc

Mike

Oh we're definitely that. Just too bad that you live in the middle of no where!! cry

Surely you jest! He lives in the center of civilization! This is the middle of nowhere....

[Linked Image]

Can you see a tree in any direction for 20 miles? I rest my case!

Now back to the issue at hand. Local Bad Bob's Grumpy Grocery has rib roasts (notice I did not say prime rib! ) for $7.99/lb so I put an order in for a 10 lb roast with the caveat that it had some marbling but not big fat eye.

When you two clowns finally decide to come out here bring some of that swill with you. grin

Well Keith I can stand on top of a beer can, look to the West and see that spot. grin

Mike
well technically you're right. BUT both you and he need to move closer so we can share that barrel. So there!! grin

BTW I have an ocean and the highest point on the East Coast here. And people talk right!! laugh
Originally Posted by byc
well technically you're right. BUT both you and he need to move closer so we can share that barrel. So there!! grin

BTW I have an ocean and the highest point on the East Coast here. And people talk right!! laugh

You mean with an accent grin
yeahhh! A very nYYYce akcent! aw'ite? grin
You funny....we don't speak with an accent wink
Well Keith I can stand on top of a beer can, look to the West and see that spot. grin

Mike

Bull pucky you have a hill over there just west of your place...you are going to need a milk crate at the very least! laugh
Originally Posted by byc

Been wanting to try this for awhile. Assuming you wrap in cheese cloth and change every week or so? I was thinking about dry aging the whole tenderloins I have for 7 days.

Does the fridge have to be set at a different temp?

Also, is there any way to know that you've aged correctly and your end product is not going to make everyone sick all through the holiday's? I have to believe there's some foul odor during the aging process so what can you gauge a safe dry age exercise by?

Thanks

I've done a couple of them Hoop. Both times I've used the UMAi Dry Aging Bags. The first one I did for 35 days and the second I did for 50 days. The 50 was better. Some of the guys on the BGE forum have done them for 70+ days. The UMAi bags are made to allow moisture to escape without letting air in. A pretty cool system really.

Dry aged beef is different, but if you're looking for jump up and smack you in the face beefy flavor, then get yourself some UMAi bags and get to work.

Mike

Thanks Mike....will call you over the weekend. Need to get caught up anyway.

Happy trails!

all this beef talk has me reviewing rib roast recipes/techniques...I've already got Christmas and New Years planned...maybe super bowl Sunday...
Yeah no kidding. The videos from the site Mike posted are great. Especially, the one Greg produced using the whole rib roast!

http://www.drybagsteak.com/

I'm sold on trying this method of dry aging! Just ordered the bags!

Thanks again Mike!
I have cooked two hundred pounds already this month. Looking forward to a leg of lamb or .......not sure yet.
I have cooked two hundred pounds already this month.

how much'a that did u eat...?
Originally Posted by sse
I have cooked two hundred pounds already this month.

how much'a that did u eat...?

Two slices, four sandwiches, and one and a half racks of ribs!

Grilled rib eyes tonight for the daughters sixteenth birthday. Some Dungeness crabs, oysters, salad, cheese bread, and Baskin-N-Robbins cake. I'm stuffed. Purring cat in my lap. Both of us ready for a nap!
i put on a lb and a half just reading that
Too damn bad you live on the left coast. I'd like to cook and party with you!!

Mike
Don't age a tenderloin. No advantage to it.
Clean a wire rack with hot water and clorox, rinse. Put a few clean paper towels on a platter set the rack over and then rinse and dry the rib roast and place on the rack.
Done.
28 days later trim the leather and reserve for the dogs.
If you get a chance watch the "good eats" show on rib roasts. Only exception being you want to buy an un trimmed choice grade WITH chine on and fat cap on.
This may be the one you suggest. Very interesting. He uses flower pot in the oven. I think the BGE guys would have a real advantage here.

Dry Aged Standng Rib Roast With Sage Au Jus
Too damn bad you live on the left coast. I'd like to cook and party with you!!

Mike

You ever make it to the central valley, just give me notice.
I'm betting you, Dave, and I could kill some grill and our livers!
The thing is, that by December I have an empty extra fridge. I clean the entire thing with water and bleach...so sanitize would be a better description.
I don't put anything in it but the roast.
The problem most folks are going to run into is finding a primal cut with chine and cap. If you start with a trimmed roast after aging and trimming your going to be cutting off some of the best parts of the beef. You need the chine and cap to protect the edible portions, follow?
Furthermore most folks don't have an entire spare fridge.
I don't cook mine in the oven. I actually own a Ronco rotisserie.... Set it and? FORGET IT!!!
amazing machine, just wish it were larger.
After the age I trim and remove all bones and the tail. I can't fit a bone in roast inside the oven. I cook to 110 internal and pick up about 10 degrees residual during the resting. Anyone that eats overdone, guests, will have the end a to enjoy.
I paid for it...I'm not burning the thing up.
The 5 bone sitting now ran about 80 bucks and will feed 9-10 people.
ONLY complaints on the Ronco was the size and the the tabs on the door that seemed to brake so easy. Absolutely the best ten pound turkey maker ever made.
We had one of the early models that was "set and forget" with no temp control. It was a good little cooker, and was second to none for pork loins and as you said turkey. The little guy threw craps about two years ago. Wonder if they still make them??

Mike
http://www.amazon.com/ST5000PLGEN-Showtime-Rotisserie-Platinum-Edition/dp/B00004RFQL

https://www.ronco.com/
© 24hourcampfire