Home
Just like the title states, how much are you porkin' your venison for summer sausage? wink I liked how mine turned out a few years back, but I can't remember how much pork I used. For some reason I'm thinking it was 4:1.
I have made mine 60/40. 60 venison and 40 Pork like the slight leaner sausage
The best I ever had was a full 1-1.
50/50
My last bunch was 50/50. Before that I did 60 pork/ 40 venison. I think I preferred the 60/40 and made the venison go further.
Not summer sausage, but 50/50 on bulk breakfast and Italian sausage.
Completely depends on what kind of pork cuts/trim your thinking of using?
Originally Posted by Hydrashocker
Completely depends on what kind of pork cuts/trim your thinking of using?
What ever comes in big chunks and is cheap. What do you use?
I hear ya!

Well shoulder butts would be a good start. Maybe 50/50 if you go that route. Whole hog, I've seen ratios down to 30% venison 70% pork, but each to their own. I was mainly getting at apples to apples. Obviously something like back fat would be less than picnic by example because of the fat to muscle ratio.

I would give it a good look and start at 50/50, if it looks like a good pork trim go 50/50, on the fat side maybe a little less or a bit more if it's lean. It's hard to give you a definitive answer, we professionals do it all by sight.

But usually 50V/50P is a really good rule of thumb like everyone states.
i always add beef fat instead of pork.
50% = 50 more game meats to go around = more to eat!
Good point about what cut of pork. We use 50% ground pork shoulder.
Any particular reason not to try just using ground pork, much easier to find up here and certainly reasonably priced?
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Any particular reason not to try just using ground pork, much easier to find up here and certainly reasonably priced?

I use ground pork more than anything else due to convenience. Mixed 50/50 it makes a pretty lean sausage - I'm curious if ground pork butt/shoulder has more fat content?
© 24hourcampfire