Home
Posted By: wabigoon Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
I tried/made chicken fried steak today for dinner.
It turned out fair, next time I'll use straight beaten egg to stick the flour breading better.

I guess the sky's the limit on seasoning?
Posted By: blanket Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Flour the tenderized dry steak by pushing it into a bowl of flour hard, then dip in whipped eggs and a dash of buttermilk and flour again before frying. Add salt and lots of black pepper to the flour. Make some heart attack white milk gravy to pour over it
Posted By: rem141r Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
i like using seasoned bread crumbs as the final dip. flour, eggs, crumbs and fry. then add a bunch of butter to the grease and make the gravy. it ain't healthy by any stretch but it goes down good.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Hammered out, prepped and flash fried in a deep fryer is the best! Best I ever et was in Stephenville, TX
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
I use venison cutlets
Posted By: rem141r Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
me too. i make it jaegersnitzel style with mushroom gravy and a bunch of potato pancakes
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Next time any of y'all visit Texas, this place has the best Chicken Fried Steak I've ever ate. It's called Mary's Cafe in Strawn, TX. It's about 80 miles west of Ft. Worth on I-20.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Might be that way this spring wink Not far from a friend in Lipan.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Yes, it's just right down the road from Lipan. Let me know & I'll drive over and meet y'all for lunch.
Posted By: EdM Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Originally Posted by rem141r
i like using seasoned bread crumbs as the final dip. flour, eggs, crumbs and fry. then add a bunch of butter to the grease and make the gravy. it ain't healthy by any stretch but it goes down good.

+1. Here done with pork and zucchini. An Italian spin to it. The Hoot Owl in Sandpoint Idaho makes a killer CFS.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: blanket Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
smokin hot black iron skillet full of bacon grease and butter, drop biscuits and sweet corn huh raa
Posted By: byc Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Originally Posted by eh76
Might be that way this spring wink Not far from a friend in Lipan.

You and Neal doing the hog hunt?
Posted By: EdM Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Not a bad read.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/h...ped-industrialize-the-modern-food-system
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Interesting read. My family in Virginia, are all from Bavaria and Austria. They immigrated back in the mid 1700's, They have been making the Wiener Schnitzel type dish as long as I can remember, and probably all the way back to their immigrant days.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Originally Posted by eh76
Hammered out, prepped and flash fried in a deep fryer is the best! Best I ever et was in Stephenville, TX

A year and half ago I worked in Stephenville for a month, the contractors working for me took me to Jake & Dorothy's about 4 days out of 5. Chicken Fried Steak got the nod most days.

Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Next time any of y'all visit Texas, this place has the best Chicken Fried Steak I've ever ate. It's called Mary's Cafe in Strawn, TX. It's about 80 miles west of Ft. Worth on I-20.

The guys at the plant we were in said Mary's was the best, but we never ventured over there.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
So, what ideas do you have on cuts other than a tenderized beef steak for chicken frying?
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
wabigoon, I saw this on one of the cooking channels awhile back and it's pretty much the way I have enjoyed CFS in the past although I like the gravy to be more peppery.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kelsey-nixon/chicken-fried-steak-with-spiced-milk-gravy.html
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/29/15
Originally Posted by wabigoon
So, what ideas do you have on cuts other than a tenderized beef steak for chicken frying?

Sirloin run through a tenderizer till it screams. grin

Run through both with and against the grain. Thinking of getting this attachment for my LEM grinder.
http://www.lemproducts.com/product/...nt-for-grinders/butcher-meat-tenderizers
Posted By: Hydrashocker Re: Chicken fried steak. - 01/30/15
Beef with some pork fat, run it through the cuber/tenderizer about 6-7 times, flour and fry and douse with some peppered milk gravy.
© 24hourcampfire