Home
Posted By: MadMooner Venison shank ideas? - 02/04/15
I defrosted two or three pounds of deboned deer shank meat. Not feeling like making stew and lacking inspiration.

Any ideas?
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/04/15
Season it,brown it in olive oil,add water,not quite completely covering the meat and roast it in the oven about 2 1/2-3 hours.It will melt in you mouth,no knife needed.
Posted By: EdM Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/04/15
Ossobuco.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/05/15
Originally Posted by EdM
Ossobuco.

hard to do without the bone.

Frankly I would have left the bone in, adds a lot of flavor when cooked. As recommended, shank meat generally needs to be broiled to get tender and will result in something that will be hard to beat.

here is one that I did a few years ago:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/05/15
I just did a simple half azzed braise that could be called osso buco, but it ain't.

Dredged the meat in seasoned flour, brown in OO and set aside. Shallot, carrot, celery in the browning pot. Hit with a bit of white wine, beef stock, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, S&P.

Set the timer on the oven for 2.5 hours. I'll pull it out in the AM and set it on the counter to rest all day. Make a little rice or maybe risotto to eat it with tomorrow.

It'll make a turd.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/05/15
'Mooner,

Do yourself a favor, check this guy's site and sign up for his blog. You'll get ridiculously good recipes several times per week.

http://honest-food.net

Here are some shank recipes:

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/venison-recipes/flank-steaks/

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/05/15
Thanks!

Looks like a great website!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/05/15
TAG !!

I've been, painstakingly trimming these out & adding to my grind bucket, for burger.

Love lamb shanks & was wondering !!

A friend told me not to, because of the "tallowy" taste/mouth coating.

Next season, venison shanks !
Posted By: JSH Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/05/15
I have always just trimmed and ground or cut stew meat so I didn't have to fight the tendons. Some great ideas to try for next time.
Posted By: Powder_Burn Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/05/15
Make venison shank onion soup from this guy's book:

Afield: A Chef's Guide to Preparing and Cooking Wild Game and Fish

Link: http://amzn.com/1599621142
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/05/15
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Originally Posted by EdM
Ossobuco.

hard to do without the bone.

Frankly I would have left the bone in, adds a lot of flavor when cooked. As recommended, shank meat generally needs to be broiled to get tender and will result in something that will be hard to beat.

here is one that I did a few years ago:

[Linked Image]

Wow, I'm gonna be all over that, too !
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Venison shank ideas? - 02/06/15
A little too much gelatine for my taste. Excellent (trimmed) for chili and stew with other cuts where the extra gelatine helps add flavor and texture.
© 24hourcampfire