Home
http://honest-food.net/2011/08/31/grilled-venison-loin/

[Linked Image]

Prepped and cooked the way Hank said but used a vinegar based sweet vidalia mopping sauce on it very sparingly and oh my was it good. Sorry I forgot the pics. Wife almost always complains about medium rare but this was great even for her!

Looks good. I'm too lame to grill to the right point without using a thermometer. What temperature should the inside be when I pull it from the grill? I like to pull my steaks at 125 - and then rest for 10 minutes where they usually hit 135-140.
My thermometer has spoiled me. I never was good at reading when to pull meat off the grill before it hit desired temperature until I bought a Thermapen.
Sounds really good Keith. Thanks for the link.

Mike
.... headed to the freezer right now to grab a backstrap
The honest food website is amazing for game recipes. Glad you and the wife enjoyed your meal!
Keith, that looks real tasty.
Nice Keith! I add a bacon weave when I do my back straps and pull them off at 120 degrees
Thanks gentlemen. Dan that was so moist and tender it did not need a bacon weave.
Need has nothing to do with bacon! grin
Looks great!!
In all fairness the photo I posted is the olive oiled and salted loin. I wishing I would have taken after cooking pics. I will definitely do this again. Just turned 3 antelope backstraps into jerky. Need to shoot more critters this fall!
Wow! yer killing me Keith. laugh
Keith, Don't you dare apologize for that spread! Dayam!
Good stuff...that guy from the web site put's together some great cuisine. I get updates on FB. And now you know why I have a FB account.
Thank you eh76 for posting that recipe -- and drawing my attention to honest-food.net! I think I visited that site once before, but failed to bookmark it -- I sure have done so now!

Lots of good-looking recipes there I want to try!

The Belgian Venison Carbonnade recipe looks better than the one that I have made many times before.

Plus, the cook on this website recommends tougher cuts cooked long and slow for this dish, and using 1 or 2 bottles of a real Belgian abbey beer -- both of which I agree with.

Using my previous recipe, I used some tough shanks from a moose bull and the meat turned out so tender it was like pulled pork. Mmmmmmmmm! smile

Also, I used my previous recipe once using ordinary beer, and it fell way short of the richer caramel taste when I used a couple of bottles of Belgian beer. This one is good:

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of the dish from honest-food.net:

[Linked Image]

John
Chimay is good stuff but hard to find around here frown
The beer gods shine upon me liberally here. smile

[Linked Image]
As dawg said non-existent here. I would have to drive to Denver to find that. That is a 12 hr round trip and they have traffic eek

I can walk 250 yds and shoot a pronghorn but have to drive that far for Chimay....something is wrong or right here... smile

I'll just go shoot an elk and suffer that's a 30 minute drive grin
Originally Posted by sse
Good stuff...that guy from the web site put's together some great cuisine. I get updates on FB. And now you know why I have a FB account.

No FB but he emails me updates wink
Wish I had that kind of wrong or right walk or drive here, eh.

My walking distance shoot wouldn't be a 250 yd pronghorn, unfortunately. But, I wish. smile

Sounds like you're in a very nice place. smile
Nice in the hunting sense but not in the food availability sense that you enjoy...thank goodness for the internet and online ordering. Things like fresh seafood and Chimay don't happen here.
Loin is out of the freezer and ready to go. Cant wait to taste this
© 24hourcampfire