Home
Posted By: local_dirt Chicken Paprikash - 04/15/15
Made this tonight.

Still trying to get back to my roots. Grandma used to make this on Sunday after church every once in a while.. I think I've got the recipe down, although it isn't exactly what I find on the internet.

Now we're cookin'.
[Linked Image]

Phase 2:
[Linked Image]

Feed bag for the masses.
[Linked Image]

Enjoy,
LD

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/16/15
looks and sounds great. Wife and I know quite a few Hungarians. Heck, her boss was born in Hungary. He lives up in Bal Harbor.
I started making Hungarian food years ago, and have a number of pretty good cookbooks for the stuff.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/16/15
Looks good,Care to share the recipe?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/16/15
Thanks, fellas.
Sure. The recipe I use is pretty easy. Most recipes you'll find on the internet differ on what goes in the pan first, but little changes after that.

One simple thing you want to watch out for is getting the sour cream too hot or putting too much in at a time. That's why mine isn't an exact 1 1/2 hour cook, like most on the internet. I like to build it in layers, as I do a lot of recipes, then let it simmer at low heat to meld the flavors.

It kinda goes like this:

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs chicken (I used 6 thighs with skin on, excess skin and fat removed)
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
1 tsp hot Hungarian paprika (.. when you can find. I used some spicy Spanish paprika I had in the pantry.)
1 large onion chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 3/4 cups chicken stock (I use Kirkland Organic chicken stock)
8-10 oz sour cream
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp all purpose flour (I use Gold Medal)
1/2 cup chopped parsley
salt & pepper

Directions
salt & pepper both sides of chicken pieces and place skin side down in a large pan in the vegetable on medium high heat.
Brown chicken on both sides
Sprinkle Hungarian sweet paprika over the skin side up chicken
Add chopped onion
Add chopped red bell pepper
Nestle onion and pepper between chicken pieces and cook until onion becomes translucent
Add garlic
Add hot Hungarian paprika (again, had to use spicy Spanish)
Add chicken stock and turn heat down to medium
Cook with lid off for at least 20-30 mins (This will cook down some of the chicken stock and meld the flavors. Check it every 10 mins or so. You don't want to burn it here.)
Turn heat down to simmer
Add 4 oz of sour cream and 1/3 of chopped parsley
Simmer a while
Add other 4-6 oz sour cream and 1/3 of chopped parsley
Simmer until sour cream is fully integrated into sauce
Add flour to thicken, if needed or desired
Sprinkle with remaining chopped parsley and serve

Voila.

Preferred serving method is with real Hungarian noodles, but since they're hard to find, I substituted jasmine rice. (Egg noodles would have been closer to traditional recipe. Didn't have any.)
I made the rice the way I do it for Chicken and Spanish Rice recipe, with turmeric, minced red bell pepper and onion, and green peas.

Posted By: calikooknic Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/16/15
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Thanks, fellas.
Sure. The recipe I use is pretty easy. Most recipes you'll find on the internet differ on what goes in the pan first, but little changes after that.

One simple thing you want to watch out for is getting the sour cream too hot or putting too much in at a time. That's why mine isn't an exact 1 1/2 hour cook, like most on the internet. I like to build it in layers, as I do a lot of recipes, then let it simmer at low heat to meld the flavors.

It kinda goes like this:

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs chicken (I used 6 thighs with skin on, excess skin and fat removed)
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
1 tsp hot Hungarian paprika (.. when you can find. I used some spicy Spanish paprika I had in the pantry.)
1 large onion chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 3/4 cups chicken stock (I use Kirkland Organic chicken stock)
8-10 oz sour cream
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp all purpose flour (I use Gold Medal)
1/2 cup chopped parsley
salt & pepper

Directions
salt & pepper both sides of chicken pieces and place skin side down in a large pan in the vegetable on medium high heat.
Brown chicken on both sides
Sprinkle Hungarian sweet paprika over the skin side up chicken
Add chopped onion
Add chopped red bell pepper
Nestle onion and pepper between chicken pieces and cook until onion becomes translucent
Add garlic
Add hot Hungarian paprika (again, had to use spicy Spanish)
Add chicken stock and turn heat down to medium
Cook with lid off for at least 20-30 mins (This will cook down some of the chicken stock and meld the flavors. Check it every 10 mins or so. You don't want to burn it here.)
Turn heat down to simmer
Add 4 oz of sour cream and 1/3 of chopped parsley
Simmer a while
Add other 4-6 oz sour cream and 1/3 of chopped parsley
Simmer until sour cream is fully integrated into sauce
Add flour to thicken, if needed or desired
Sprinkle with remaining chopped parsley and serve

Voila.

Preferred serving method is with real Hungarian noodles, but since they're hard to find, I substituted jasmine rice. (Egg noodles would have been closer to traditional recipe. Didn't have any.)
I made the rice the way I do it for Chicken and Spanish Rice recipe, with turmeric, minced red bell pepper and onion, and green peas.

Mmmmm.
Thanks.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/16/15
That sounds awesome LD. Many thanks for your recipe!

Mike
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/17/15
Wow, that looks great!

Thanks!
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/17/15
That goes on my "gotta try" list.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/17/15
Thanks, guys!

If you ever get a chance, try it with some Kozel Czech beer. Lager or Dark. Second.. Staropramen.

Kozel is really good. Lager is really smooth and dark is not what you expect (somewhat bitter). Don't get that at all.

Forget Pilsner Arquell compared to this stuff. And, believe it or not, there is better. Just can't get it at all in the States.
Posted By: ribka Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/17/15
This weekend will give it a try. Have to find some hot paprika

Thanks
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/17/15
ribka,
This is the real deal:
http://www.amazon.com/Hungarian-Paprika-5-Ounce-Tins-Pack/dp/B000H25W2C

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...IKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VJCHS7ETYDKXTKJE0ZA

Best Wishes,
LD
Posted By: mathman Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/17/15
Thanks, guys!

If you ever get a chance, try it with some Kozel Czech beer. Lager or Dark. Second.. Staropramen.

Kozel is really good. Lager is really smooth and dark is not what you expect (somewhat bitter). Don't get that at all.

Forget Pilsner Arquell compared to this stuff. And, believe it or not, there is better. Just can't get it at all in the States.

USA availability?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/18/15
Unfortunately, Kozel is not available in the U.S. You cqn order it, but that gets real expensive real fast.

However, I have seen Staropramen in the East European ethnic markets here, but it's not Kozel.

I have heard of others as good as or better than Kozel. I didn't get the chance to try them when I was there (Czech Republic).

I first tried the Kozel dark when it was offered to me on a train from Vienna to Prague by some younger American guys who told me "you have to try it" when I turned my nose up at their offer. Glad they convinced me. smile
Posted By: mathman Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/18/15
I can get Staropramen, it's a favorite of mine.
Nice! There are only a few places to get it here.
Hey MM, if you like Staropramen, you'l probably also like Westmalle Triple and Chimay blonde, both made by Belgian monks.
I'm familiar with those, and the other Chimay varieties as well. Very good beer.
We can also get Czechvar here. (US name).

Are you familiar with the lawsuit Budweiser US filed against Budvar, in Czech Republic? Pretty funny stuff.. and still going on. smile
Posted By: eh76 Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/18/15
Looks delicious! Even Chimay Ale you mention would require a drive to Denver for me frown

Good egg noodles I can come up with grin
Thanks, eh.

Dayam! You gotta drive that far for a Chimay? That sucks..

But, then again, you probably don't have a buncha liberal retards gummin' up your neighborhood with "Obama" and "Change" bumper stickers, either. smile

Miller Lite and Bud Light is probably just fine, then. smile

Are you familiar with the lawsuit Budweiser US filed against Budvar, in Czech Republic? Pretty funny stuff.. and still going on. smile

I've had many of the real Budweiser:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/19/15
The American Budweiser was making the brew for many years before the Czech company began business.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by mathman

I've had many of the real Budweiser:

[Linked Image]

There ya go!
Posted By: mathman Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/19/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The American Budweiser was making their brew for many years before the Czech company began business.

It should be called St. Louiser since it isn't from Budweis.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/19/15
I'm not sure which came first, the Anheuser Busch chicken or the Czech Budejovicky Budvar egg. But, Budvar has been steadily winning the lawsuits in Europe country after country.

I guess maybe the licensing rights are country by country??
Posted By: jmillo Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/19/15
My father in law left Hungary during the revolution, bringing his families paprikash
recipe. He swears it must be Szeged paprika or don't bother. A little tomato is good as well as some chopped Hungarian wax peppers. And we always have homemade spaetzle. His recipe also calls for the sour cream served on the side. One of my favorite meals. Occasional I get it made with rabbit if I ask real nice.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Chicken Paprikash - 04/20/15
jmillo, thanks for the history lesson. That is really cool. Next time I make it, I will try it with a little tomato, too.

That's exactly the kind of information that is handed down or shared firsthand.
© 24hourcampfire