Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Shirred Eggs - 05/17/15
Never know what will pop into your head when contemplating breakfast. This morning, that idea was shirred eggs. It has been ages since I made these.
grease a ramekin with butter. Pour in some heavy cream. Break two XL eggs into that, and very slightly break the yolks.
Add some salt, pepper, fine diced fresh scallions and Parsley. Bake at 375F for about 12 min. Longer if you like the yolks set.
Top with some grated Cheddar, or other cheese. My wife likes Parmesan.
Better than the sum of the parts. Custardy, creamy, absolutely delicious.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: selmer Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/17/15
Never tried them. Sounds like some morels on top would be pretty much perfect...
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/17/15
you might be on to something there. smile

You can put virtually anything in and on the eggs while they cook. Ham, pancetta, asparagus, cheese.................
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/17/15
Never heard of it.

Fluffy? smile
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Never heard of it.

Fluffy? smile

they can be, if that's what you want, and have the skill to make it happen. laugh
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/17/15
Tried it. Liked it.
glad it worked well for you. It's nice to have a change up from fried/scrambled eggs once in awhile.
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/17/15
i will be trying that
my wife pointed out that I needed to clarify the instructions just a bit.
For a 6 ounce ramekin, about a tablespoon of heavy cream is all that is needed.
Do not mix the eggs up. I break the yolk with the tines of a fork, just so they won't burst out of their containment. I don't scramble those into the whites at all.
Wife likes her shirred eggs cooked only about 10 min. They are fairly loose at that point, the yolks still about half runny.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/18/15
looks good, have to give it a try.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/19/15
Sam,

Lovely !

We do them a little different, but basically the same, if that makes sense.

We call them nest eggs. We use a large muffin tray, very lightly greased, & place a slice (not shaved) of black forest ham into each hole of the muffin tray. Everything else the same. Whoops, we use one XL egg in each.

After cooked, lift out of tray & place each parcel unto half of a toasted English muffin & devour.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/19/15
Sam,

These are in the oven! I'm really looking forward to this meal. Thanks for the recipe and send a hearty THANK YOU to your wife as well!
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/19/15
takin' notes, here...
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/19/15
Well, the meal is finished and these didn't disappoint.

I had to cook a tad longer than the 12 min as the oven runs a little cool.

Green onion, parm, two eggs, salt, pepper, and about a tablespoon of whole milk (I think cream would have made it richer but it was still very creamy).

Quite delicious and I served it with toast and huckleberry jam. The green onion really made the dish imho, as it added a nice flavor to the eggs.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/19/15
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Sam,

Lovely !

We call them nest eggs. We use a large muffin tray, very lightly greased, & place a slice (not shaved) of black forest ham into each hole of the muffin tray. Everything else the same. Whoops, we use one XL egg in each.

After cooked, lift out of tray & place each parcel unto half of a toasted English muffin & devour.

Shaved ham is an abomination before the Lord and a crime against nature.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/19/15
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Sam,

Lovely !

Shaved ham is an abomination before the Lord and a crime against nature.

After attending six graduation parties this weekend I would generally agree, but in the application listed above I think it sounds quite tasty.

Mike
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/22/15
Sam,

Lovely !

I've done them just like this save used a piece of Canadian bacon for the bottom layer. Pooty good grub.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/22/15
I like the idea of Canadian Bacon in the bottom. A great product, and I should use it more often.

.......and it's damn good to see you posting some, BCR. laugh
Posted By: eh76 Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/22/15
I'm going to make these tomorrow morning Sam.

Good to see you posting BCR!
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/22/15
I make all my eggs with heavy cream,but I mix it up good,will try this ....one thing for sure the cream makthe eggs smooth double boilers scrambled it the best!
Posted By: eh76 Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/23/15
Sam my wife approved! She wants me to make them again tomorrow.
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/29/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Never know what will pop into your head when contemplating breakfast. This morning, that idea was shirred eggs. It has been ages since I made these.
grease a ramekin with butter. Pour in some heavy cream. Break two XL eggs into that, and very slightly break the yolks.
Add some salt, pepper, fine diced fresh scallions and Parsley. Bake at 375F for about 12 min. Longer if you like the yolks set.
Top with some grated Cheddar, or other cheese. My wife likes Parmesan.
Better than the sum of the parts. Custardy, creamy, absolutely delicious.
[Linked Image]

Sam...is that a 6 oz ramekin in this pic? Doesn't seem that two eggs would fit that easily within a 6 oz capacity...?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/29/15
yeah, 6. 7 ounces if you pour water in it all the way to the brim
thank you

I'm sure the ones I've seen on Amazon listed as 6 oz are one in the same

the reason I ask is I have wanted to get some ramekin vessels forever and never did, for individual serving of custards, cobblers, creme brulee, etc...but with this egg recipe I need to get
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/29/15
custards. Now that would be a good thread. laugh
i don't have 'em yet... cool
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Shirred Eggs - 05/29/15
Oh yeah. Do that. +1 on the custards. smile
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 06/13/15
OK, tried this, delicious, but this is my experience. Put them in for 11 min, removed from oven and could see the middle was barely set. Gave them another 2 min.

With immense anticipation, i stuck a stick of toast (i like to toast, spread and then cut into sticks, what i do for soft boiled eggs) into the center. Quite of bit of clear runniness. Ate it anyway, however, i noticed at the bottom of the ramekin the egg was extremely hot. Mixed it around a little and all quickly cooked itself, a phenomenon that shall be further explored tomorrow AM.

Evidently, there is a technique to eating this.
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 06/13/15
all quickly cooked itself

*better stated, all quickly over-cooked itself...
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 04/28/16
Been doing this quite a bit, of late...Thanks to SaMiami...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Shirred Eggs - 04/28/16
Glad this thread resurfaced after a year, 'cause I haven't made them since !

This weekend !
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Shirred Eggs - 04/28/16
Shire isn't that where Hobbits live?
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Shirred Eggs - 04/28/16
Dan,

What was for supper ? Passed you about 5:30pm, headed to Fort Drum, might have stopped by if you were cooking ! grin

Lynn
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Shirred Eggs - 04/28/16
Ha you didn't miss much my daughter started her new job a Buffalo Wild Wings so went to see her and ate junk,wings and a burger
But if I knew you were coming through I'd of kicked it up!
Posted By: add Re: Shirred Eggs - 04/28/16
custards. Now that would be a good thread. laugh

Yep.

Right along with rice pudding and mayo/lutefisk inspired recipes!
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Shirred Eggs - 04/28/16
Funny, I thought about this thread two weeks ago when I unsuccessfully oven hard boiled some really soft eggs.

Might have been some gin involved.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/14/16
For cisco1;

As requested !

Better search engine:

https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=016407629494559605640:xponie3lspc
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/14/16
My sister makes the ham/canadian bacon version, goes pretty good on a toasted english muffin.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/15/16

Thanks ,Mannlicher and all.... this is the thread I was looking for.

Best,
Chuck
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/15/16
I saw a vid from Jacque Pepin making oeufs en cocotte, made it several times, kicks the concept up a notch.
Posted By: byc Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/17/16
I tried these this morning. WOW!!

I did use a low profile creme broulee ramekin though. About 1" deep x 5 inches wide that accommodated the Canadian Bacon perfectly! I also used heavy whipping cream, scallions and cheddar.

Worked great!!

Thanks for bumping this back to life 99!! Going to throw it up top along with yours and sse's comments.
Posted By: byc Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/17/16
I had these again for supper. They were even better with crumbled bacon and a few secret herbs and spices!! wink NOW I see a serious 20+ pound weight gain problem in the making.

Thanks Friends!!! smile

BTW wondering what a little hollandaise would provide here. Especially, on top of an English muffin or squash cake.

Posted By: calikooknic Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/17/16
Damnit, Dave, now I have to go shopping for cream in the morning!
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/18/16
Holy dog balls Batman!

Went with heavy cream, scallions, and cheddar jack. No meat. Had some Parmesan twist bread. Thin slices and toasted.

Mmmmmmmm!
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/18/16
It's good, warms up the kitchen, too.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/18/16
We tried these today. Went with 14 minutes at 375. Stirred them up after removing from the oven and allowed to sit for 2 minutes then ate.
Absolutely wonderful, wouldn't change a thing for next time.
Posted By: byc Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/18/16
Did stirring them up make more of a scrambled egg result?

Thanks?

David
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/18/16
No, it tasted like super rich creamy poached eggs. I didn't mix them, just stirred once.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/18/16
I can't tell y'all how pleased I am that the recipe and idea works well for so many people.
Posted By: byc Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/18/16
Mister Sam….you done good Sir!! Real good!

We thank you!!
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/19/16
My pleasure !

grin
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/19/16
These for "shirr" are something else again, but I like them. I lightly grease a six-portion muffin tin, then break 4 eggs into a large measuring cup, dump in a little half-and-half and s couple of shots of Worchestershire, shake in a little salt and pepper, and beat past the stage where there is a danger of white snot lingering. I pour some into each space in the tin, then add whatever I please: green onion, green pepper, black olive, tomato, cheese, pepperoni, etc.. Then I pour in the rest of the egg mix. Preheated oven at 400 for 20 minutes.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/21/16
Had my first Shirred eggs this AM.

Gooood stuff!!!

I used a little extra heavy cream, about four tablespoons, and Salt & Pepper with two eggs.

Will have these again soon! Time to start experimenting!

Virgil B.
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/21/16
Cautionary note, it helps if you're fond of runny eggs.
Posted By: Rabbitdog Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/21/16
Been eating these regularly since I was a Kid.
(Damn Long Time )

I still make them. I use "Spam" just like Mom did !

Rabbitdog
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/22/16
Bought some Canadian Bacon for making my next Shirred eggs!

This is getting to be fun! (and fattening)

Virgil B.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/23/16
The calories from shirred eggs doesn't count. It the same as eating cookies at Christmas, they don't count either:)
Posted By: byc Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/23/16
I made them without the yolks just because I could….and of course the reduced calorie count. Still good!!!

The Canadian Bacon rocks!!! My next experiment is on top of squash cakes with hollandaise. For this version the yolks go back in.
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/23/16
I made them without the yolks

I would never admit to ding something like that.
Originally Posted by sse
I made them without the yolks

I would never admit to doing something like that.

Well I would rather face this group over my Doc and his recent orders!! eek Bet I am not the only one.

And, "I cannot tell a lie. I did it"
Maybe ya oughta tell the good doc how many piggies you eat every summer
HA! Not near as many as you think. I like to cook them but truly burnt out on 'em many years ago!! Just ask Mike aka BowH.

But hey…..you can still call me PB!! laugh

Merry Christmas Brother!

David
Not near as many as you think.

No way to prove that, but sinking to egg-white only...kale, quinoa, look out Trader Joes
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/24/16
Had more Shirred eggs this AM.

Making them with a slice of diced up Canadian bacon and topping with shaved Parmesan cheese works GREAT!!!

Yum Yum!!

Virgil B.
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/24/16
pancetta, proscuitto, sopressata and parm
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/24/16
Just made Quackshirred eggs! Got some xtra large duck eggs at the farmers market. Roasted pasilla pepper, two slices of Canadian bacon, and Oaxaca cheese!

Washing it down with a black Latin and football!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/24/16
wife and I had them this morning. Aged Scottish Cheddar, two large eggs, diced scallions and chopped bacon. Damn those are good. smile
Posted By: Ella Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/30/16
My family does something similar, “coddled eggs,” for our traditional Xmas morning breakfast. Dad got the little pots in Ireland some fifty or so years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/30/16

Originally Posted by Ella
My family does something similar, “coddled eggs,” for our traditional Xmas morning breakfast. Dad got the little pots in Ireland some fifty or so years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks good
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/30/16
Those are great looking pieces of pottery. The red ribbon a special order dish? You do anything else in them?
Posted By: Ella Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/31/16
The pots have gotten a little chipped up over the years. The lids screw on and you have to match the right lid with the right pot or they won't fit. I don't recall that we've ever used them for anything else.

The red ribbon was pepper-less (how anyone can dislike pepper is beyond me).
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/31/16
you can use those little molds to make killer egg custard
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/31/16
you can use those little molds to make killer egg custard

I was thinking along those lines myself, Sam. Creme bruile or such.

Thanks for the reply Ella.
Posted By: sse Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/31/16
Or flan
Posted By: byc Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/31/16
By golly….I'm going to make some right NOW!! Yolks and all! laugh

Ella I want some of those litte pots. Those are great!!!
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/31/16
Had more shirred eggs this AM.

This is getting to be my morning ritual! (YUM YUM!)

Thanks Sam!!!

Virgil B.
I dunno why we never used them for anything else. Custard or flan seems like a good idea. If you google "egg coddlers," most seem to have metal tops versus the ceramic tops that we have. I imagine that makes threading the tops/bottoms easier.

I'm digging the shirred eggs for a heartier everyday breakfast. This forum has really pumped up our meals the last year or two.
I spent the last hour looking for the clay ones like you have and nothing!! frown

Not too sure about the health thing and shirred eggs, however! laugh
Based on the pictured at this link, I believe they're made by Wade?

http://www.egg-coddlers.com/Wade/

Dad's had them for as long as I can remember though we've busted a couple over the decades.

I don't know that there is such thing as a satisfying healthy breakfast. No other meal so calls for butter, fried pork, eggs, biscuits, cheese.... smile
Excellent!! Thank You so much for that!!

David
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/31/16
dang it, now I have to buy more cooking equipment. I don't have any egg coddlers. smile
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Shirred Eggs - 12/31/16
Fried egg today, oven filled with a ham!

Sam, good thing I only have tool trucks show up at work, I would be too far in debt if the restaurant supply came around every week!
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Shirred Eggs - 01/05/17
i tried these last week for the first time. cut up hunk of christmas ham in the bottom,2 eggs,half&half cream,minced onions and a hand full of fresh parmesan cheese.they were great with butter toast to soak it up.
© 24hourcampfire