Home
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Burgers - 05/21/15
What is your favorite burger ? And no, I don't mean restaurant burgers, but rather kind you make at home and add your own touch to. What is inside the meat and on top of the meat ? or even under the meat ? what kind of meat(s) ? what is your favorite type of bun ?

A Nosey Female wants to know, and yes, I am not above stealing your ideas grin
Posted By: eh76 Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
Bighorn sheep is my favorite burger meat but obtaining it is an issue. Took me 27 years to draw a tag frown That being said elk/moose would be my next choice then beef.

I bought one of those plastic stuffed burger tools at Menards and putting cheese inside the burger is great. Bacon, onion, thin sliced dill pickle and Dukes mayo to top it off.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
Equal parts ground pork, deer, and lean beef. Stuff with good cheese. Slice of sweet onion, German Johnson 'mater, and Duke's mayo. Maybe a strip or two of good bacon. Toasted sourdough bun.
Posted By: deflave Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
My favorite burger is:

Have your butcher grind a whole brisket.

Make some UBER thin patties with it and add rub of choice. Montreal Steak, salt and pepper, whatever.

Grill them fuggers up and saute some onions to go with.

Throw onions on top and add a slice of swiss. Another patty, some more onion and a slice of swiss. Let it melt.

Put on bun. Add ketchup or mayo or mustard or WTF else you want. Toast the bun or don't.

Makes a wonderfully greasy mess of a burger.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
Oh, and if you don't want to grill them you can fry the patties in bacon grease in a cast iron pan.

Pretty GD UBER.

Travis
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
My favorite are brisket burgers ground 80/20 from the trimmings. Season a 1/2 lb. patty with Lawry's and pepper on both sides. I cook them on a raised grid at 450-475* for about five minutes per side then add a slice of cheddar and provolone cheese the last two minutes. Place it on a toasted onion bun spread with mayo. Add red onion, leaf lettuce and garden tomato. No ketchup or mustard for this guy! Throw some chips or fries on the side and I'm good to go.

[Linked Image]

Mike
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
Good burger is all about the beef. Grind your own or get some ground at least 80/20.

Salt and pepper. Med rare.

I like a classic American style with pickles, catsup, mustard and mayo with some cheap azz, processed, non-dairy, cheese food Kraft singles.

Or a green chili cheese burger with a fried egg.

Put bacon on it, or don't.
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
I think that the burger has to be cooked just right. It's amazing to me, how easy it is to dry them suckers out if you ain't careful.

I really like putting some onion soup mix into the meat and mixing it up, along with some pickled jalapenos, or if in season, some fresh leeks. No onions needed if you put leeks in there!

Lettuce, mater, onion (red is as good as it gets), some mayo and some fresh cracked black pepper. I like cheese...just about any kind of cheese, but Wegman's has a Jalapeno/Cayenne Cheddar that is probably my favorite to put on there.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
I don't do anything to burgers other than brush them lightly with oil, add some salt and pepper, and cook. Plain ground beef, no fillers, no other seasonings.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
Thin burgers/meat for me ,easy to control I makeemwit moose an brisket mix, frezze on wax paper hell I,been taken to cooking the meat last they cook so quick, like Mr .gfy said, i like a sturdy but softer bun, one thing I always do is build the Sammie, then I wrap in foil ,it hold the heat,moist,and everything! Try it ! And when I say build it ,add every thing u want /let set wrapped in foil 3-5 mins...dam I'm drooling…lettus could be left out for that extra crunch,but everything else wrap it dagmait !
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
I flip 800 burgers for a place every year in a four hour shift, but I start with frozen Patty's then grill ,flipping one time only ...never ever press, then a minute before they are what I call done..wet pink juicey they go in to a large foil pan with a concentrate of beef base hotazzwater ...from Sam's, a heavy concentrate ! ,the last 5 years or better I have no hair on my hands , gosh flipping a all them burgers its hard to stay metro lol!!
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't do anything to burgers other than brush them lightly with oil, add some salt and pepper, and cook. Plain ground beef, no fillers, no other seasonings.

The older I get the more I seam to appreciate the less is more when it comes to food. Start with top notch ingredients, season just enough to compliment the quality ingredients and cook to perfection. You simply can't go wrong.

I'd just add, a good bun, thin sliced red onion and tomatoes, bit of mayo and ketchup and you have a good burger.

Posted By: Higginez Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
[Linked Image]

Jiffy burger ftmfw.
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Burgers - 05/21/15
100% moose, add some bacon grease for fat, horseradish, an egg, breadcrumbs, some BBQ sauce, and parsley. I do mine on a Traeger.

SS
Posted By: jmillo Re: Burgers - 05/22/15
I grind my moose 80/20 and that's the way I like beef too. Thick 3/4lb patty with salt, pepper and a bit of garlic powder. Grill it hot and fast till medium. Toasted hard roll with cheddar, bacon, fried onions, fried jalapeños, avacado and bbq sauce. It usually ends up so tall it won't stay together, and the juices soak the bun. One of those burgers that once I pick it up, I'm afraid to put it down.
Posted By: EdM Re: Burgers - 05/22/15
We will be grilling them tonight. Our basic hamburger uses 15-20% fat ground beef, an egg, salt, pepper and a bit of garlic powder. Cook medium rare topped with Swiss cheese, serve on toasted buns with a bit of mayo, lettuce, thinly sliced tomato and red onion. We often switch it up though and add salsa to the meat, green chilies as a topping, etc. I'll do an Italian one that has egg, breadcrumbs, pesto, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Top it with provolone with a bit of mayo on
focaccia.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Burgers - 05/22/15
Grilled at home, they're all good. Grilled onions and jalapenos are one of my faves. No catsup or mustard, just mayo.
Posted By: EdM Re: Burgers - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Grilled at home, they're all good. Grilled onions and jalapenos are one of my faves. No catsup or mustard, just mayo.

Bingo.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Burgers - 05/22/15
Some might consider it blasphemy but I really enjoy a not to thick burger with lots of cheese (pepperjack), onion, bacon, and a fried egg. Sometimes I will even fry up some lunch meat and throw that on there too. Kind of like a breakfast sandwich/burger combo in one. I love those things.

A close second would be a homemade juicy lucy though.
Posted By: antlers Re: Burgers - 05/22/15
We had an EMS cookout and grilled up a bunch of burgers that were 85% ground chuck. Seasoned up the meat with salt n' pepper and some minced onions. Had plenty of mushrooms, caramelized onions, Swiss and sharp chedders slices, dill pickle slices, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and Miracle Whip (for those who like it), tomatoes and lettuce. And for buns we used grilled cheese sandwiches...! One for the top bun and one for the bottom bun. It was a flippin' feast and those folks got their grub on...!

BTW, a really good sauce for burgers is made by mixing Tabasco Chipotle Sauce and mayonnaise.

When I make em' at home, I like to use big, freshly baked rolls from the bakery (cut em' in half with a bread knife) for the buns.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Burgers - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
What is your favorite burger ? And no, I don't mean restaurant burgers, but rather kind you make at home and add your own touch to. What is inside the meat and on top of the meat ? or even under the meat ? what kind of meat(s) ? what is your favorite type of bun ?

A Nosey Female wants to know, and yes, I am not above stealing your ideas grin

Well, Miss Lynn, I have come to the point where I don't much care for beef burger anymore. I mix my venison 80-20 venison to pork shoulder and then when I want to make burgers I add either a whole green chorizo or half of one per pound of burger meat depending on the heat level of the chorizo. Sometimes the chorizo has a lot of heat sometimes not. I think the serranos vary quite a bit, and can be more than I can handle. To make them a little more decadent add some Oaxaca cheese cut into small chunks.

If you have to eat beef, then it needs to be round, flank or brisket carefully trimmed and ground and then mixed with the pork and chorizo.

PS Red chorizo is nowhere near as good.
Posted By: chris_c Re: Burgers - 05/23/15
bacon/pork/beef/venison ground together. Grilled bun
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Burgers - 05/23/15
As always great ideas and suggestions from the 24HCF foodies and I'll be trying the ground brisket as Mike suggested.

Just me and the Dawg tho' so I'll be vacuum packing a some of the meat after forming into patties to enjoy later.

Cheers.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Burgers - 05/23/15
All moose with an egg and some bread crumbs to get it to hang together. Don't forget home made onion rings.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mathman Re: Burgers - 05/23/15
Mooseloaf. grin
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Burgers - 05/23/15
It is both a travesty and an abomination to mix anything other than salt and pepper into the raw meat.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Burgers - 05/23/15
Originally Posted by 5sdad
It is both a travesty and an abomination to mix anything other than salt and pepper into the raw meat.

says who?
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Burgers - 05/23/15
100% elk, no fat added, Eileen's recipe from Slice of the Wild..
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Burgers - 05/24/15
I'll bet that's good!

Eileen could cook up an old boot and make it taste good.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Burgers - 05/24/15
When forming the patties I like to feather the edges a bit so when grilled the edges are almost crunchy and the rest is perfect.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Burgers - 05/25/15
80/20 black angus farm raised beef,mayo,2 strips of smokey bacon and crumbled blue cheese on top.cooked medium,juicy and pink.toasted bun it good.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Burgers - 05/25/15
Well, finally back from camp and got photo bucket to work. Perhaps more about sketchy connectivity than the app itself but again I reiterate 100% Newfie Moose and some home made onion rings (well, OK, sharp cheddar!) grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Burgers - 05/25/15
80/20 medium rare
ketchup then raw onion on bottom bun
burger
cheese
grilled onion
cheese
dill pickle slices
mayo or miracle whip mixed with A1 on top bun
bunch of napkins
enjoy!!! No I am not OCD about my burgers
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Burgers - 05/25/15
Originally Posted by USMC2602
100% elk, no fat added, Eileen's recipe from Slice of the Wild..

I don't know how you guys do it,

We knocked down two bulls last year, and the three of us spent the following weekend processing and trimming, maybe we trimmed too much, I don't know,

But the Ground Elk with no additions was dry, had no taste and difficult to cook.

Never again.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Burgers - 05/25/15
These brisket burgers, You're having the butcher grind a Brisket?

Posted By: EdM Re: Burgers - 05/25/15
Miracle Whip, ketchup and mustard get no where near my burgers.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Burgers - 05/25/15
Some do, but I cook quite a few briskets so I keep the trimmings, weigh the fat/meat and grind it myself. I just use a Kitchen Aid mixer/grinder which works fine for trimmings, but you would burn it up on a whole brisket. A really good combo is a 50/50 mix of ground 80/20 beef and ground pork. You have to babysit them so they're not under cooked, but the results are pretty amazing.

Mike
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Burgers - 05/26/15
Btw, mustard has to be grainy mustard. None of that prepared stuff. That's for foot longs at a ball game.

SS
Posted By: Bootsfishing Re: Burgers - 05/27/15
A chuck roast fresh ground twice..... make 6oz patties....using about three knuckles, make a depression in the middle (to 1/2 inch) to keep the burgers from puffing up when they are grilled...medium rare....before you take off the grill, top with scallions and sauteed mushrooms in garlic, butter and red wine....and provolone...lightly toast inside of buns and spread with just a little mayo.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Burgers - 05/27/15
Saw this the other day. Looks like a tasty way to clog an artery.

Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Burgers - 05/27/15
Originally Posted by srwshooter
80/20 black angus farm raised beef,mayo,2 strips of smokey bacon and crumbled blue cheese on top.cooked medium,juicy and pink.toasted bun it good.

This looks like the best one so far. I've got a thing for blue cheese and bacon.
Posted By: deflave Re: Burgers - 05/27/15
Originally Posted by Kenneth
These brisket burgers, You're having the butcher grind a Brisket?

Yes.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: Burgers - 05/27/15
Pugs,

What's your onion ring recipe?

Travis
Posted By: Pugs Re: Burgers - 05/27/15
Originally Posted by deflave
Pugs,

What's your onion ring recipe?

Travis

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 Tsp of salt
1 Tsp baking soda
Enough Buttermilk to make the mixture liquid. Usually 2 cups is about right
Panko Bread crumbs
1 Medium/large onion is enough for 2 people sliced into 1/4" thick rounds and separated into rings
Submerge the rings in batter then pull out and roll in the Panko and set on a wire rack to rest for 10 minutes.

Fry in the oil of choice (I use Canola) at 375 degrees (degrees F ya darn Canucks! grin ) until golden brown and delicious. I drain them on a wire rack and keep the rack in the oven to keep warm until the whole batch is done.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: Burgers - 05/27/15
Pugs, no eggs?
Posted By: deflave Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
Thanks Pugs.

Travis
Posted By: Pugs Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Pugs, no eggs?

Cripes yes. Sorry add one egg! The perils of not having it written down.
Posted By: deflave Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
And an egg.

Got it. Thanks.

Travis
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
I made the same mistake on my Broccoli casserole recipe. Forgot to mention 1 can cream of mushroom soup.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
I grind my own brisket, but....there is some fat on a brisket that is like grinding a rubber mat.
Posted By: shreck Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
Pugs, Imma steal that recipe for this weekend.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
Originally Posted by shreck
Pugs, Imma steal that recipe for this weekend.

You won't regret it. Your cholesterol ? Um, not my fault! grin
Posted By: EdM Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
Idaho last summer. Simple salt, pepper, touch of Worcester and garlic powder. Linguica as the appetizer, green chilies and sharp Tillamook cheddar as the topper.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: antlers Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
Those beer can bacon burgers are pretty flippin' neat...!
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Burgers - 05/28/15
Originally Posted by EdM
Idaho last summer. Simple salt, pepper, touch of Worcester and garlic powder. Linguica as the appetizer, green chilies and sharp Tillamook cheddar as the topper.

[Linked Image]

That's what is I'm talking 'bout, Ed. Gin, chiles, and linguicia, onions, and meat. Local store sells linguicia in four inch rounds like thick cut balogna. Makes one hell of a double burger.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Burgers - 05/30/15
Mixed some 80/20 beef with and equal amount of pure ground elk a bit ago seasoned with some salt/pepper. Will garnish with smoked gouda, sweet onion and roasted ancho peppers from my garden in a bit smile
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Burgers - 05/30/15
Smoked gouda is so good I'm surprised my mom didn't add it to the list of things that would make me go blind! wink grin

Mike
Posted By: eh76 Re: Burgers - 05/30/15
It won't? whew!
© 24hourcampfire