Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Sam's Herb Mix - 05/22/15
I make a batch of this stuff a couple times a year. Mostly I give it away, to friends, relatives and neighbors. I consider it a 'Mediterranean' herb mix, but it works on many other foods.
The brand of herbs and spices I use is Penzeys. I just won't buy others. Fresh, intense aroma and very flavorful. There is no competition.
The five herbs for this batch, and bottles to pack it in, works out to about $2.50 a bottle.
Turkish Oregano
French Basil
French Thyme
Spanish Rosemary
American Marjoram
I dump it all into a large bowl, mix well, and portion.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: Sam's Herb Mix - 05/22/15
Sounds great. I need to check out Penzeys.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Sam's Herb Mix - 05/22/15
Keith, I got a big order in the other day. Get the free catalog, and each issue has a coupon for a free product. This month, it was your choice of 5 different spices. I chose the Chili powder.
In my order when it showed up, was an unannounced freebe, a nice bottle of their 'Bankok' seasoning. They always throw in a bonus.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Sam's Herb Mix - 05/22/15
Sam has mentioned Penzys a few times over the years and they are darn good with an excellent selection. Freshness is the key.

Two thumbs up for them !!!

Someday I'll try making my own Mrs. Dash as it's kind of a staple ingredient in my kitchen.
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: Sam's Herb Mix - 05/22/15
I have a Penzeys store about 15-20 minutes from me. I am actually headed there tonight when I get out of work.

The aroma when you first walk in is amazing. I've had so many of their spices, and I've never been disappointed.
closest one to me is in Jacksonville, about a two hour trip. I find ordering off their web site works well for me. When I visit my daughter, we usually make a side trip to the store, and yes, it smells wonderful.
Posted By: add Re: Sam's Herb Mix - 05/22/15
Penzeys is good and the 5 blend mix offered above looks perfect.

Spanish paprika, powdered chipolte, Himalayan pink salt, and a good variety of peppercorns are all worth including in an order.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Sam's Herb Mix - 05/22/15
Sam, that mix sounds great. I'm a big believer in Penzey's, too. Once you start using them, you're hooked. They are that much better. Great group of people to deal with, too.

Here's some of my order from last year.

[Linked Image]

The lion's share of the rub I used on this beer can chicken was the Penzey's Italian Herb Seasoning.
[Linked Image]

I just ordered some replenishments and picked the chili powder freebee, too.

Description Item # Size Quantity Item Price Item Total
Cajun Style Seasoning 20848 4 oz bag 1 $7.65 $7.65
Chipotle Pepper Ground Red 41441 4 oz bag 1 $11.29 $11.29
Cumin Ground 42785 8 oz bag 1 $10.15 $10.15
Regular Chili Powder 11140 net 3.8 oz 3/4 cup bag 1 $8.49 $0.00
Cumin Ground 42743 4 oz bag 1 $5.69 $5.69
Subtotal : $34.78 Shipping : $0.00 Tax : $0.00
Order Total : $34.78

Went mostly with the 4 oz bags this time, and will just use them to refill the jars as needed.
They did throw in an extra small jar of Bangkok seasoning with my order, too.

Did they ship you some custom labels so you could send your mix as gifts?
yes. I ordered a half dozen empty bottles, and each came with two labels stuffed inside.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Sam's Herb Mix - 05/22/15
Catalog coming in the mail! I'll give them a try. Been using MySpiceSage.com
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Sam's Herb Mix - 05/22/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
yes. I ordered a half dozen empty bottles, and each came with two labels stuffed inside.

Great idea and Nice Gift!
© 24hourcampfire