Home
Posted By: wabigoon Fried green tomatoes - 07/28/15
Cook them?

Care to share any thoughts?
Posted By: chris_c Re: Fried green tomatoes - 07/29/15
Tried them once, not impressed.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Fried green tomatoes - 07/29/15
I like 'em. There is no real secret with fixing them. Slice fairly thick. Dip in buttermilk, dredge through your favorite breading mix. (I like to mix cornmeal, flour, some black pepper, and Tony Chachere's seasoning.)
Some folks like to double dip, and that's fine.
Big cast iron skillet, with corn oil, about 375F. Do one side, flip once, do the other. Drain on an icing rack, with paper towels under.
Serve with your favorite dipping mixture. I like a good Remolade sauce.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Fried green tomatoes - 07/29/15
Tried them once but suspect the tomatoes were too green. My grandfather loved them and I'd like to try them again. Do you get them as they start to lighten up in colour or just once they get full size? Got a garden full right now!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Fried green tomatoes - 07/29/15
Do you get them as they start to lighten up in colour or just once they get full size?

I always picked them for the wife and her family when they first showed a little blush. I don't care for them myself. miles
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Fried green tomatoes - 07/29/15
I prefer them green, not turning. The cooking process softens them enough. Any more ripe, and they are likely to turn to mush.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Fried green tomatoes - 07/29/15
I like them the way Sam makes them, and I love them on BLT's instead of red tomato slices. I make sure to use a hearty dense bread so as the heat from the fried green tomato slices does not turn the bread to smush.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Fried green tomatoes - 07/29/15
Check the post I revived from last month.
I'm no expert at them, but they aren't the hardest thing in the world to cook.
Great to see how regional differences play out with the flavors.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Fried green tomatoes - 07/30/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I like 'em. There is no real secret with fixing them. Slice fairly thick. Dip in buttermilk, dredge through your favorite breading mix. (I like to mix cornmeal, flour, some black pepper, and Tony Chachere's seasoning.)
Some folks like to double dip, and that's fine.
Big cast iron skillet, with corn oil, about 375F. Do one side, flip once, do the other. Drain on an icing rack, with paper towels under.
Serve with your favorite dipping mixture. I like a good Remolade sauce.

That's pretty close to the way I do them too. Although I use an egg in the wash before I dip in the coating.
After the flip in the skillet I have even added a bit of pizza sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese.
mmmmmmmmmmmm
© 24hourcampfire